3-D printers and Studios

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1, 2011
      Actually, should say just Paramount...

      We've talked about 3-D printers and how they could "print" out some cool
      props, gadgets, etc.

      Just going to share that the studios are watching that technology too.
      They send a C&D (Cease and Desist letter) related to someone selling a
      file to print out a prop from a recent movie.

      http://torrentfreak.com/paramount-cease-and-desist-targets-3d-printer-pirate-110628/

      Normally, studios don't seem to care/watch much for small things, but
      then again, this was a key prop... and they were in the process of doing
      an authorized version.

      Anyway... just info...

      ... But I so can't wait until 3-D printers are common enough... ah the
      toys we could have for ourselves.... and the perfect button.

      -Cat-
    • Dale Rae
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 2, 2011
        Cat,
        Very interesting article. Although, I think that anyone should know
        that they can't copy something from a movie (or whatever) and sell
        it. Just won't work. I agree that as the 3-D printers become more
        popular/affordable things will get very interesting.

        My son has had a ton of fun with his 3-D printer - made a costume from
        Final Fantasy IV and wore it recently to Fanime 2011 in San Jose. The
        character is Cecil Harvey and he modeled the pieces (using his
        measurements) in the computer then printed them out (takes a lot of
        electricity! LOL). He then coated the pieces with ABS glue, sanded
        them and painted. He got the designs on the pieces by making decals
        (again in the computer) and applying them. He even made all of the
        buckles (that hold the ultrasuede braided straps)! I helped in the
        project by making the body suit and sewing all of the straps/velcro to
        attach pieces together and to the bodysuit. And the braided straps to
        the buckles (my fingers hurt for days as I had to do it all by hand
        and sewing thru the braided double-layer ultrasuede was a challenge).
        Actually I was as equally impressed with how he had all of the
        interior straps/buckles/velcro planned out and it all worked so well
        with only a couple of tiny hiccups that were easily solved.

        Anyway, if you would like to see some pictures I have a few here:

        http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/772966/2159069

        And someone at the convention made a video of several costumes - Cecil
        appears at the very end. It's kind of fun to see the whole thing in
        motion:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVlF5Fzq8lg&feature=share

        Dale

        Dale Rae Designs
        www.dalerae.com
        info@...
        dollsewr@...

        Follow Dale Rae Designs on Facebook to get up-to-date notices of new
        items, sales, etc!
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dale-Rae-Designs/351484484528

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 2, 2011
          This is all printed?!?!?!?
          http://img.villagephotos.com/imageview.aspx?i=27325257

          Manually closes mouth to prevent swallowing flies or larger things.

          What did it print in? An epoxy glue?

          What was the ABS glue for? To get a smoother finish? Stabilize the
          pieces???

          What kind of modeling program did he use to create the shapes???

          Oh-boy, judging is going to get even more interesting at the cons. Ah,
          you printed it yourself. Did you also create the mesh for it or did you
          buy the design? Or how much did you modify the design?

          OK, drooling restrained... back to the general topic. IF these printers
          can print strong enough small pieces for buckles and buttons, I can see
          that as an area that costumers are really interested in... it's finding
          those detailed chatskies (sp?) to finish a costume perfectly that's very
          hard.

          Then comes the whole copyright thing... But functional items like
          buttons and hooks and belts fall under the same can't copyright like an
          apron or a dress. And, it's not kosher to take a mold from an original
          and then resell the product, but if you sculp up your own..

          Then there's the trademark side, which that Super 8 cube falls under if
          they filed the right paperwork.

          Oh... it's going to be fun. I do suggest to those that print up items,
          you keep sketches and intermediate file backed up in case you have to
          "prove" you created it yourself.

          Ain't we got fun?

          -Cat-
        • Dale Rae
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 2, 2011
            Allrighty, I will try to answer the questions (based on what my son
            told me he did).

            First off, the 3-D printer is huge! He has it in his garage - it's
            about 5 ft. tall, 3 ft. deep and 3 ft. wide - and sucks electricity
            while it prints (some items take 12 hours to print). He has a picture
            of it but posted it on his facebook and I can't get a copy of it there
            (he is currently at a convention in LA - unfortunately not with this
            costume!).

            Yes, he printed all of the separate pieces - including the buckles
            attached to the braided ultrasuede. This whole project took him
            nearly a year - he did take breaks from time to time and couldn't sand
            in the winter when it got too cold. But then he (and I) worked on
            other parts - like the bodysuit. He also printed out the sword - it
            had to be done in pieces and he glued it together.

            The pieces are printed by feeding rods of ABS plastic into it - they
            come all coiled up in a cartridge. Each piece is printed in a
            circular pattern - thus the ridges. He used the glue to do two things
            - one to strengthen each piece and two to fill in some of the ridges.
            Each piece is incredibly light and I can't remember the thickness, but
            not terribly thick. I guess he could control that by keying in the
            thickness he wanted.

            He used 3-D Max to model each piece. He does use this daily in his
            job (he does computer modeling for Cinemedia - it's the theater chain
            that makes the "First Look" that is filled with advertisements that
            people "get" to watch before a movie starts. LOL). He did not buy
            any kind of mesh or shapes - created them all himself from looking at
            pictures from the animation and extrapolating from there. If I
            remember correctly, there is a way to create a "body" in this program
            to "fit" the pieces to. He took his measurements, made a basic piece
            (in the program) then started getting it exactly like he wanted it to
            send to the printer. I don't really have all of the details other
            than that as he knows what the printer needed from the modeling
            program and went from there.

            And yes, the buckles were plenty strong! Since this was a character
            from an animated movie, he could pretty much make up what he figured
            the pieces would look like. He knew he wouldn't ever be able to get
            something like what he wanted so he just modeled it and printed them
            out! For costumers it does add a whole exciting element - except
            right now the printers are quite pricy and the person needs good
            computer modeling skills to get it all to go together.

            I also think he did a terrific job painting it. He is an artist and
            had a good eye for not just painting everything the same color - he
            has all sorts of shading going on. I think that is why it photographs
            so well. To be honest, the darn costume almost looks better in photos
            and video than in person (although it is quite stunning in person).
            And combining the textures - shiny on the armor, matte with the
            ultrasuede, etc. - it creates a nice contrast.

            He did enter it into a contest at a con in Denver - NDK (Nan Desu
            Kan). Got first prize - but the only drawback to this costume is that
            many, many people just think he purchased it somewhere. They simply
            cannot conceive that someone could make it "from scratch."

            Just for fun -- I made a costume for him to wear to a cosplay New
            Year's Eve event in Denver - and I did all of the sewing, etc. This
            is another character from a video grame - and the collar took "us"
            several tries before we got one we liked the look of!

            http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/772966/2159068

            (This kid keeps me busy - we are starting a costume right now that
            will be half armor parts made with the printer and half sewing done by
            me.)

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 2, 2011
              Whoa!

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 2, 2011
                On 7/2/2011 4:40 PM, Dale Rae wrote:
                > First off, the 3-D printer is huge! He has it in his garage - it's
                > about 5 ft. tall, 3 ft. deep and 3 ft. wide
                wow! That's a big boy... A lot of the ones I see for home seem to be
                18" cube.
                > - and sucks electricity
                Downside to all fun toys. I was seriously considering getting a small
                kilm for a while... but same problem.... but Oh, such fun results.
                > while it prints (some items take 12 hours to print).
                Can image with big pieces being done.
                > He has a picture
                > of it but posted it on his facebook and I can't get a copy of it there
                > (he is currently at a convention in LA - unfortunately not with this
                > costume!).

                Big convention this weekend. Making the regular news even.
                > Yes, he printed all of the separate pieces - including the buckles
                > attached to the braided ultrasuede. This whole project took him
                > nearly a year
                The really good projects do.
                > - he did take breaks from time to time and couldn't sand
                > in the winter when it got too cold. But then he (and I) worked on
                > other parts - like the bodysuit.
                Too cold for working in the garage, or temperature limits on the plastic
                make it too brittle?
                > He also printed out the sword - it
                > had to be done in pieces and he glued it together.
                Oh... that's thinking outside the printer box.

                > The pieces are printed by feeding rods of ABS plastic into it - they
                > come all coiled up in a cartridge.
                OK. Folks are printing all kinds of different things now a days. One
                is doing melted sand for resulting glass shapes. And the LA Times did
                an article a few months ago how the foodies are using it with chocolates
                and frosting. Wild stuff there.
                > Each piece is printed in a
                > circular pattern - thus the ridges. He used the glue to do two things
                > - one to strengthen each piece and two to fill in some of the ridges.
                Makes sense.

                There are some really crazy resolution printers as well. Watched one
                clip where a cast was being created for a part for one of Jay Leno's
                cars that's not made anymore. Was clean enough to cast the metal
                pieces, and another one does ball bearings.
                > Each piece is incredibly light and I can't remember the thickness, but
                > not terribly thick. I guess he could control that by keying in the
                > thickness he wanted.
                I'd figure the buckles are thicker. The armor, he'd want thin.

                > He used 3-D Max to model each piece. He does use this daily in his
                > job...
                Ah... so he's a 3-d master anyway. Makes more sense.
                > ... created them all himself from looking at
                > pictures from the animation and extrapolating from there.
                Those programs have a body mode and a clothing mode. He only has to do
                the body wire frame once. (OK, just like we use a dress dummy, check he
                hasn't change shape too much, but same thing.)

                > And yes, the buckles were plenty strong!
                Coolness.
                > Since this was a character
                > from an animated movie, he could pretty much make up what he figured
                > the pieces would look like.
                Then the clothing gets "applied". With it being an animated character,
                made on a frame itself... the armor probably works best being made this
                way, vs. old fashion way of shaping it. Controlling the computer, he
                can get very true, even curves and lines.

                His big job... figuring out a way to put it on. He had to design entry
                points for his body.
                > He knew he wouldn't ever be able to get
                > something like what he wanted so he just modeled it and printed them
                > out!
                Yea, just. Ha ha! Lots of creativity and mechanics still involved to
                take the lines drawn in a computer over a form, to because wearable armor.
                > For costumers it does add a whole exciting element - except
                > right now the printers are quite pricy and the person needs good
                > computer modeling skills to get it all to go together.

                We've all got different skills. And consider different things fun and
                exciting. He's on the bleeding edge with this technique though.
                > I also think he did a terrific job painting it. He is an artist and
                > had a good eye for not just painting everything the same color - he
                > has all sorts of shading going on. I think that is why it photographs
                > so well.
                Cool to know. There's magic in it "just" showing up... but in
                costuming, there's a lot of work under the magic.
                > To be honest, the darn costume almost looks better in photos
                > and video than in person (although it is quite stunning in person).
                > And combining the textures - shiny on the armor, matte with the
                > ultrasuede, etc. - it creates a nice contrast.

                I'm sure it's still total fab in person.
                > He did enter it into a contest at a con in Denver - NDK (Nan Desu
                > Kan). Got first prize - but the only drawback to this costume is that
                > many, many people just think he purchased it somewhere. They simply
                > cannot conceive that someone could make it "from scratch."

                I know some elves that made some armor... who took photos at every
                step... then picked a point in the design and specifically made planned
                variations... and carried a summary book w/ the pics to prove it to the
                folks that didn't believe they'd done it themselves.... vs just buy a
                mold or something.

                Now a day, could put a small slideshow up on his phone as an app... show
                some of the steps. Ya can bet, that would knock some folks over.
                > Just for fun -- I made a costume for him to wear to a cosplay New
                > Year's Eve event in Denver - and I did all of the sewing, etc. This
                > is another character from a video grame - and the collar took "us"
                > several tries before we got one we liked the look of!
                >
                > http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/772966/2159068

                Another yummy costume... and the package is just as yummy. (ducking now.)
                > (This kid keeps me busy - we are starting a costume right now that
                > will be half armor parts made with the printer and half sewing done by
                > me.)
                But how many mothers are jealous that you guys work on projects
                together. Amazing sharing.

                -Cat-
              • Dale Rae
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 3, 2011
                  <Too cold for working in the garage, or temperature limits on the
                  plastic
                  make it too brittle?>

                  We can get cold spells here in Colorado. Last winter we had one that
                  lasted about a week - all below zero days. Luckily that is very
                  rare! I also think the winter he made the costume we had a ton of
                  snow - always on the weekend when he needed to work!

                  >Those programs have a body mode and a clothing mode. He only has to
                  do
                  the body wire frame once. (OK, just like we use a dress dummy, check he
                  hasn't change shape too much, but same thing.)>

                  That sounds familiar - he only showed that part to me once (was too
                  busy showing me his amazing designs! LOL). He had one amusing
                  glitch. He measured his left hand/forearm for the lower arm pieces -
                  did it with his right hand and measured his left. When he made both
                  pieces, discovered that the right one wouldn't fit (too tight). He is
                  right handed and quickly realized that his left hand/arm measurements
                  were just enough small enough to cause a problem. Had to reprint the
                  right arm pieces. :)

                  <the armor probably works best being made this way, vs. old fashion
                  way of shaping it. Controlling the computer, he can get very true,
                  even curves and lines.>

                  He also gave himself very ripped abs and a nice butt! LOL

                  <and the package is just as yummy. (ducking now.)>
                  No ducking necessary! I think he is very cute - but then I am his
                  mother! And he is single - and in LA right now until July 4........

                  <But how many mothers are jealous that you guys work on projects
                  together. Amazing sharing.>
                  I feel very lucky - most mothers don't have something like this to
                  share with a son (and I have 2 sons-no daughters.) And we always have
                  so much fun working together - another plus.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 3, 2011
                    I finally found a way to get the pic of the 3-D printer - he has a
                    laptop on top of it.

                    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/772966/255156_217894938231692_100000335619658_745280_1984486_n%20%281%29.jpg

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 3, 2011
                      On 7/3/2011 8:04 AM, Dale Rae wrote:

                      http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/772966/255156_217894938231692_100000335619658_745280_1984486_n%20%281%29.jpg

                      Whoa! Quite a printer. Not what they talk about when saying folks may
                      have one in their home soon. Fab toy.
                      > He had one amusing
                      > glitch. He measured his left hand/forearm for the lower arm pieces -
                      > did it with his right hand and measured his left. When he made both
                      > pieces, discovered that the right one wouldn't fit (too tight). He is
                      > right handed and quickly realized that his left hand/arm measurements
                      > were just enough small enough to cause a problem. Had to reprint the
                      > right arm pieces. :)
                      We only "think" our sides are the same. Being left or right handed
                      shapes the muscles. How we walk, everything effects it. When we fit
                      item on ourselves, sometimes we fit exact, sometimes we fit to camouflage.
                      > He also gave himself very ripped abs and a nice butt! LOL

                      LOL. Guys are even getting hyper body aware now-a-days. From the other
                      photo, didn't look like modification was necessary. <G>
                      > <and the package is just as yummy. (ducking now.)>
                      > No ducking necessary! I think he is very cute - but then I am his
                      > mother! And he is single - and in LA right now until July 4........

                      He's having a fun weekend.. Very photogenic.
                      > I feel very lucky - most mothers don't have something like this to
                      > share with a son (and I have 2 sons-no daughters.) And we always have
                      > so much fun working together - another plus.
                      We saw a lot of that on LOTR. The younger gen was working with mother,
                      and grandmother (and dads), sometimes for the first time in a long
                      while. Everyone enjoying the costume creation.

                      -Cat-
                    • Dale Rae
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 2, 2011
                        A little while ago I posted pictures of an armor costume my son made
                        using a 3-D printer. Well, the company that makes the printer he used
                        contacted him and invited him (on their dime!) to come to the Seggraph
                        convention in Vancouver - he will be wearing the costume in their
                        booth. Great opportunity for him and it will make their printer look
                        really good! LOL Anyway, if anyone is in Vancouver next week and
                        wants to see the costume/3-D printers in person, he will be in the
                        booth. :)

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 2, 2011
                          That's awesome! Congratulations to your son!

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 2, 2011
                            That is so cool! I'm still having a hard time wrapping my mind around that whole concept, but wow! :-)

                            Now I wonder — I saw this article via a completely different application. Is it the same general idea?
                            http://www.kurzweilai.net/worlds-first-printed-aircraft

                            yocepha

                            --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Dale Rae <DaleRaeDesigns@...> wrote:

                            > A little while ago I posted pictures of an armor costume my son made
                            > using a 3-D printer. Well, the company that makes the printer he used
                            > contacted him and invited him (on their dime!) to come to the Seggraph
                            > convention in Vancouver - he will be wearing the costume in their
                            > booth. Great opportunity for him and it will make their printer look
                            > really good! LOL Anyway, if anyone is in Vancouver next week and
                            > wants to see the costume/3-D printers in person, he will be in the
                            > booth. :)
                            > Dale
                          • Dale Rae
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 3, 2011
                              <That is so cool! I'm still having a hard time wrapping my mind around
                              that whole concept, but wow! :-)>

                              It really is very cool. I have not seen the printer in action but did
                              see his designs in 3-D Max (on the computer) and then the final
                              product (both right out of the printer and after he had glued/sanded/
                              painted the pieces). The whole process is quite amazing. You can see
                              the layers in the printed piece - thus why he puts a layer of glue on
                              first (to strengthen the piece) and then sands it smooth. It really
                              is a lot of work - but the results are amazing. And he has made both
                              the larger pieces for the armor and the smaller ones (buckles) and
                              made the armor pieces so that inside there were receptacles to attach
                              the strapping. Truly 3-D!

                              BTW-here is the company that he got the printer from and who is
                              sponsoring his trip to Vancouver.

                              http://www.stratasys.com/Products/3D-Printers.aspx

                              The printer that he has looks like the left one shown on the page.
                              There is a link to a video for a "personal" smaller printer and in the
                              picture you can see the cartridges and they look like the ones he
                              uses. He is very excited to "show off" his costume and the company is
                              excited to have him in their booth. If you look around on the web
                              most 3-D printer information shows models (toys) or engineering parts
                              being made. This conference is for the "computer animation industry"
                              - he attended it twice while in art school. Could be good for him. :)

                              <Now I wonder � I saw this article via a completely different
                              application. Is it the same general idea?
                              http://www.kurzweilai.net/worlds-first-printed-aircraft>

                              He was just telling us about this over the weekend! It looks amazing
                              and the article describes the pieces being made layer-by-layer - which
                              is how he made his costume. Very cutting edge and I predict that in a
                              few years the printers will be more affordable for the "everyday"
                              folks. LOL
                              Dale

                              Dale Rae Designs
                              www.dalerae.com
                              info@...
                              dollsewr@...

                              Follow Dale Rae Designs on Facebook to get up-to-date notices of new
                              items, sales, etc!
                              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dale-Rae-Designs/351484484528

                            • Shalazar
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 3, 2011
                                dale is this trip to Vancouver Wa. or Van BC? (Where I could actually go and
                                see him?)

                                Thanks

                                Shalazar

                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 3, 2011
                                  <dale is this trip to Vancouver Wa. or Van BC? (Where I could actually
                                  go and
                                  see him?)>

                                  It's in BC - Canada! He is very excited - hope he gets a chance to
                                  see some of the city (I know when I go to conventions and am working
                                  all I see is the hotel.)

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 5, 2011
                                    Bummer!!!! I just checked on this event to take my PC geek grandson to on
                                    the weekend. No children under 16 allowed!!!!

                                    He is 10 and was fascinated by your links. Good thing I hadn't told him
                                    we were going to go.

                                    I am so disappointed that he can't take this in.

                                    Shalazar

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 8, 2011
                                      <Bummer!!!! I just checked on this event to take my PC geek grandson
                                      to on
                                      the weekend. No children under 16 allowed!!!!>

                                      That is a shame - but it is an "industry" show so perhaps that is
                                      why. I know there are a lot of colleges there and people selling 3-D
                                      software, etc. As well as a couple of animation movie companies. So
                                      perhaps they just want to keep it to folks who are in the industry or
                                      looking for jobs. But it might have been cool for him to be able to
                                      talk to the colleges to inspire him! :(

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 8, 2011
                                        maybe it would be possible to take him to visit some of the companies
                                        and schools, not during the event?

                                        On 8/8/2011 12:07 PM, Dale Rae wrote:
                                        > <Bummer!!!! I just checked on this event to take my PC geek grandson
                                        > to on
                                        > the weekend. No children under 16 allowed!!!!>
                                        >
                                        > That is a shame - but it is an "industry" show so perhaps that is
                                        > why. I know there are a lot of colleges there and people selling 3-D
                                        > software, etc. As well as a couple of animation movie companies. So
                                        > perhaps they just want to keep it to folks who are in the industry or
                                        > looking for jobs. But it might have been cool for him to be able to
                                        > talk to the colleges to inspire him! :(
                                        > Dale
                                        >
                                        > Dale Rae Designs
                                        > www.dalerae.com
                                        > info@... <mailto:info%40dalerae.com>
                                        > dollsewr@... <mailto:dollsewr%40yahoo.com>
                                        >
                                        > Follow Dale Rae Designs on Facebook to get up-to-date notices of new
                                        > items, sales, etc!
                                        > http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dale-Rae-Designs/351484484528

                                      • Jim or Chris Porter
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 9, 2011
                                          I do know that SIGGRAPH is very
                                          expensive (I don't think you can get in without a pass which runs
                                          roughly $3000), and very industry oriented so I am not suprised that they have an age restriction.

                                          That being said, my son works in 3D animation. I could ask him when he would have time (they are in what is called "crunch time" right now as a product is due to be delivered) to e-mail with your grandson. And many of the animation schools have online video pitches for their programs so he could get a little taste of it that way. Just let me know.