Statue of Liberty Crown Pattern

  • ShariM
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2011
      Does anyone out there know of a good pattern for a statue of liberty type crown? I'm making a costume of a sea goddess that is loosely based on the statue of liberty. I thought I'd make the spikes look like mounds of coral, but I need a good base to set something like that on.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,
      Shari
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2011
        Simplicity used to have a patriotic pack that included the Statue of
        Liberty, Lincoln & Uncle Sam - I'm pretty sure the Liberty stuff
        included a pattern for the crown. Problem is that it's out of print
        (Simplicity 5983) but you can likely find copies out there. They do
        re-use numbers so you don't want one that says 'vintage' or '1983' (it's
        not that old). You can see it at
        <http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/patterns/sewingpatterns.pl?patternid=3758>
        to see if it's something you want to try to find.
        -Judy

        On 06/01/2011 10:16 PM, ShariM wrote:
        > Does anyone out there know of a good pattern for a statue of liberty type crown? I'm making a costume of a sea goddess that is loosely based on the statue of liberty. I thought I'd make the spikes look like mounds of coral, but I need a good base to set something like that on.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Shari

      • Andrea Schewe
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2011
          There's even a pattern for the torch!
          Can't remember what I made the crown of though.

          Andrea

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2011
            my quick guess was funfoam or cardboard.
            -Judy

            On 06/02/2011 09:47 PM, Andrea Schewe wrote:
            > There's even a pattern for the torch!
            > Can't remember what I made the crown of though.
            >
            > Andrea
          • Andrea Schewe
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2011
              I'm pretty sure the crown was covered with the same fabric as the gown (poly/cotton) so they would match. I don't think fun foam was invented yet, cardboard would have cracked. You know ,, it might have been just regular 1" foam that you buy by the foot.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2011
                you can also make crowns out of plastic needlepoint canvas, covered with
                fabric. I did that for costumes years ago. They are pretty durable, you
                can sew through the plastic canvas by hand or machine. Then paint the
                fabric if necessary, sew or glue on stuff, etc. Attach it to a headband,
                whatever. And it's strong.

              • aquazoo@patriot.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 3, 2011
                  I've seen the foam crowns ready-made in souvenir shops in New York. Maybe
                  they have them at the Oriental Trading Company. Depending on your use,
                  unless you need to make it yourself, that might be a solution.

                  -Carol
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 3, 2011
                    Just google up some pictures,

                    The pics do show it as more of a hat w/ spikes on it, and it's a bit of
                    a hat.

                    However if you google up Statue of Liberty Costume pictures, you get to
                    see over a half dozen ways to,

                    You can do the hat shape, or as mentioned, just start with a headband,
                    and attach the shape... It's easy to take some scrap wire and attach
                    the foam or canvas to the headband. Some hot glue can seal up the
                    edges... then the whole thing gets covered or painted.

                    Don't be afraid to play with a headband and paper tapped to it to get
                    some approximate shapes... just taping them all to gether. Then you can
                    take the paper off the hairband and take your final shape as a pattern.