Re: I've been bit by the Kate bug! Link enclosed!

  • Serit
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25, 2011
      I have links for you! I love knit dresses because they're so forgiving of my inordinate pudge ("Older than I want to be, fatter than I ought to be, that's me!"), and I have scads of princess-line 'cocktail' dresses from one or two patterns from the 80s that are my go-to 'dress-up' dresses.

      I found it on the Issa site! And the view moves!! (I kid you not!) I don't need it *that* complex (I mean, I would if I were going to a seriously fashionable event, like Vegas Trek, but otherwise, I just want the front to kind of match the original...) And they don't have it in blue! I think that was a custom build to match Diana's engagement ring!

      http://www.stylebop.com/product_details.php?id=146131

      http://www.stylebop.com/product_details.php?id=146121

      Tell me what you think, ladies!

      I may nap all Friday and pull a sewing all-nighter just to stay up to 3 a.m. local and watch the wedding (and if it starts out boring, I'll DVR it and go to bed!)

      Best Wishes, Happy Spring, Peace, Longevity, Prosperity!!!
      Serit

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 25, 2011
        Ah.... spring has final sprung... and a gal's thoughts turn towards
        dresses... or, that or everyone else talking about Costume Con... those
        of us not making it have to scratch the costume bug....

        (ie, go check out the LOTR board as well... I'm just going to continue
        from her...)

        After semi-ignoring this royal brouha since November, I've been bit by
        the Kate bug! Does anyone here know of a commercially available (i.e.,
        Simplicity, Buttericks, McCalls, Vogue) pattern for the Issa
        'engagement' dress Kate Middleton wore in November? You'd think these
        companies would put those patterns up on their home pages, but it's like
        slogging through mud...

        Dress links:
        http://www.stylebop.com/product_details.php?id=146131
        http://www.stylebop.com/product_details.php?id=146121

        For anyone who's been completely under a rock... here's the primmer on
        the craze:
        http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1332799/Kate-Middletons-engagement-dress-Copy-look-quarter-price.html

        Ok... yup.. if something is "hot" pattern companies try to get something
        up ASAP... but there's a lag in printed patters. They will make
        something close, and or redo the cover art on something... and get it
        there even faster.

        That said... I looked at the complex seams and though... Vogue might...
        so went and looked on the front page for "new" or "featured"

        Looking for something "copied" from designers... use the 10 foot rule.
        That said... the new stuff from Vogue "screamed" the influence for
        summer dresses, ie they'd chopped off the sleeves, but "V" necks
        wrapped, or gathered, thick waist treatments, asymmetric and draped bits
        to a fitted dress.... That said... look at the main links, then look at
        this page

        http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/new-sewing-patterns-pages-174.php
        1st row: 1, 2, 3 , 2nd row, 2 & 3 have the influence. (But all w/o
        sleeves, and not as complex) To someone reading this another week,
        1244, 1242, 1241, 1250, 1235 (the only slightly older one)

        Simplicity. Their website, sigh... cutting corners to average their
        load... they don't know how many folks they loose when it can't server
        their big pages.... and they're a bit afraid to put any thing but the
        easy patterns as "featured". (And the new "easy" is the old "make it
        tonight", and their super easy is practicably "make it in an hour".)
        For fitted patterns, check out their newer "amazing fit".
        http://www.simplicity.com/c-378-amazing-fit.aspx . More complex
        patterns -- (wouldn't even call them intermediate), but they've got a
        nice focus on fit.

        Anyway... so either figuring to select that tab... or just looking at
        Simplicity dresses, and figuring that that dress has been "hot" for a
        bit yet, I flipped to page 2 (it's 2nd dress on Amazing Fit). You get:
        http://www.simplicity.com/p-5910-misses-amazing-fit-dresses.aspx
        Note... not exact either, but this has the sleeves, has more traditional
        seaming, and doesn't even need stretch material. So... simplified from
        the Vogue options.

        (I'm going to come back to getting closer to the pattern later.)

        >> I'm guessing the dress is made with knits, judging from the twisted
        sashing in front;

        Yup, per the defintion of the dress - "silk jersey"

        Fiber is silk; jersey is a type of knit fabric, very soft and slinky
        hand. Tough to work with unless you carefully pin lots... and/or even
        hand baste--depending on how tough your curves are.

        If you're making something in this, try to find another silky stench to
        do a final test run before embarking on an swearing/adventures time
        working with this fabric. Personally, I think it's worth it... but you
        need the time and budget to do it... and it works a lot better if you
        start simpler w/ the fabric.

        Substitutes to simplify a bit, a mid-weight knit, or one of those woven
        silk fabrics w/ almost as good a hand (though I'd turn it and use the
        less shinny side). More simply... a woven that has a bit of hand... you
        can still scrunge the wait fabric... you just need to tack in the
        wrinkles... or you're doing little casual pleats... which is what some
        of the patterns above are doing.

        >> do folks here think it would look good (or rather, *okay*) on a
        short 'n' fat body type?

        Go for it... I'd sugest full lengh sleeves. Those 3/4 really chop the
        body... and maybe lengthen the skirt to below knee.... but bodies do
        vary. Wearing a shaper to stop the jiggle and smooth the lines will go
        a LONG way. Think of it as something the elves would wear modern
        day... you want the dress to have the lines, not you. (And the same
        goes for thinner gals.)

        >> Is it practical to build-in a shaper, or should I buy separates that
        I can take from dress to dress?

        Nope, maximize your bang for your buck. What you get may depend on
        what you can access and what works right for you. Me, I like a long
        line bra/top comboed with a long-line pant shaper. Some like the one
        piece combo... others like those little mini-dress shapers, but I don't
        think you get as much bang for your buck along w/ you get a line.
        BUT... your millage will soooooooo vary. Personally, I like the fit for
        shapeware from Catherines. But I like better being able to try the
        stuff on.

        >> Can a dress like that be made with an underarm zip, since I loathe
        long back zippers?

        No reason why not. If you're fitting it tight... just confirm on your
        muslin you can shimmy out of it.

        >> I love knit dresses because they're so forgiving of my inordinate
        pudge ("Older than I want to be, fatter than I ought to be, that's
        me!"), and I have scads of princess-line 'cocktail' dresses from one or
        two patterns from the 80s that are my go-to 'dress-up' dresses.

        See, you've got the basic shapes... you just fancy up from there.
        Basic pattern piece, then slash and spread. (Do you have a book that
        shows that fitting technique???)

        > I found it on the Issa site! And the view moves!! (I kid you not!)
        Don't cha love new technology?

        > I don't need it *that* complex
        Then see all the notes above

        > I may nap all Friday and pull a sewing all-nighter just to stay up to
        > 3 a.m. local and watch the wedding (and if it starts out boring, I'll
        > DVR it and go to bed!)
        That's what the DVR was born for... fast forward though the inane
        commercials and the long parade footage.

        I've got the DVR, but I think I'm waiting for the Sunday wrap up... but
        they might not show the hats as much. (As I type this... my political
        news show is taken over with a gal explaining why da guy needs to fake
        liking the wedding.. and now the guy's taking about the other brother
        being "cuter". Seriously! I need to go wash my mind. Maybe I'll
        watch this w/ the volume off.)

        OK... rant over... Back to the dress

        Just search for "kate engagement dress", you'll get a lot of discussion,
        stuff for sale on etsy, $25 knock offs... etc...

        When you're looking at links... yes, there are a few pages out there
        that try and pretend you're infected and need to download their
        software. (Hey, Kate's a hit.) Confirm the window is not from your
        virus protector, and just back out, close and cancel.)

        Looking down in some blogs... found a very simple version, another
        simplicity pattern,
        http://theslapdashsewist.blogspot.com/2011/02/issakate-middleton-inspired-dress.html
        This may give you what you want. And, it's no zipper. She shows the
        dress unbound at the waist... and she's not a waif. She looks great.

        OK.... now to go the totally opposite direction... IF you're wanting to
        make Kate's Engagement dress with a fairly exact pattern, I'd suggest
        you go to flat pattern techniques. (Yup, I'm saying go flat, even
        though I'm a draping person.) You slash and spread to add the drape in.

        Basic idea here:
        http://vintagesewing.info/1940s/42-mpd/mpd-02.html#easefront
        ... and the half dozen following pages.
        Back of skirt... with that weird scoop here:
        http://vintagesewing.info/1940s/42-mpd/mpd-08.html
        It's an old fashion technique to remove back darts.
        (Also note the bottom of the page)

        If you've got a fitting book, might detail how to do the top at least.

        Fav book for learning how to make those insane geometrics...
        http://www.amazon.com/Pattern-Magic-Tomoko-Nakamichi/dp/1856697053/
        (if you're trying to buy this use, make sure it's the 2010 version, in
        ENGLISH). Note, this doesn't have the exact shapes, but it's enough.

        If you've got a copy of "The Art of Manipulating Fabric"
        http://www.amazon.com/Art-Manipulating-Fabric-Colette-Wolff
        Turn to the

        OR... Google Books just happens to have that part on line:
        http://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&tbo=1&q=the+art+of+manipulating+fabric&btnG=Search+Books
        Lots of detail in their gathers section

        Exta note later: 15 minutes on CNN of Anderson Cooper talking about the
        wedding dress that's not even out yet.... ackkkkkkkkkkkkkk run
        screaming. Too much

        All that... including the running away bit... that's a reaction to the
        coverage, not the dresses themselves....

        This wedding definitely counts as Fairy Tale and Fantasy.. so the
        clothing, it's on topic here, just not the squeels.

        But remember to include links... for those not following it as closely.
        Do share other links on the how to's or picture galleries as you come
        across them.