Archeology of a dress

  • s
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 29, 2011
      All I can say is WOW...just wow

      "A Victorian dress decorated with 1,000 real beetle wings is set to go back on display following 1,300 hours of painstaking conservation work carried out by a team led by Zenzie Tinker."

      http://www.pasthorizons.com/index.php/archives/03/2011/the-archaeology-of-a-dress

      Sheree
    • Elizabeth Phillips
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 29, 2011
        Wowee zowee!  I've always loved that dress and wanted to try to make my own version of it.  Obviously, I'll have to use irridescent beads instead of beetle wings.

        Elizabeth

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 29, 2011
          You can buy the beetle wings on ebay pretty cheap (200 for $10). I think you can
          buy almost anything on ebay. LOL

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 29, 2011
            Aren't they pretty fragile, though?  I'm thinking in terms of Medieval/Ren Faires.

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 29, 2011
              Could be but this dress is 120 years old and most of the beetle wings survived
              wear through many performances and appearances by Miss Terry.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 30, 2011
                What species of beetle would these wings be from? This idea is fantastic!

                On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:12 AM, slc_fire <slc_fire@...> wrote:

                > You can buy the beetle wings on ebay pretty cheap (200 for $10). I think
                > you can
                > buy almost anything on ebay. LOL
                >
                > Sheree
                >
                > ________________________________

              • Naresha
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 31, 2011
                  The Jewel Beetle.  It's mentioned right at the very start of the article.

                  What species of beetle would these wings be from? This idea is fantastic!

                  On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:12 AM, slc_fire <slc_fire@...> wrote:

                  > You can buy the beetle wings on ebay pretty cheap (200 for $10). I think
                  > you can
                  > buy almost anything on ebay. LOL
                  >
                  > Sheree

                • Daniel Sanders
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 31, 2011
                    Oh, Thanks. Net on my phone dropped for some reason once I had opened the
                    page and before I had a chance to really see or read anything, but I did see
                    those wings! Amazing! Unfortunately my phone still isn't allowing me
                    internet access and rarely allows mail to load up. :( Gotta get the thing
                    looked at! Thanks again

                    On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 5:51 AM, Naresha <north_shore_fruitcake@...