Costume Storage Question (Kimono)

  • cuprysa@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 4, 2010
      Hello there ^_^

      I made an enormous kimono for Halloween and then covered that sucker in sequins. I'm now trying to decide how to store it since I don't want to fold it. The lining is a metallic lame that creases like paper, and the lines of sequins get "bent". Ironing it is enough to drive a person crazy.

      I don't plan on using this costume for awhile, so my idea was to get a PVC pipe cut to the proper length, cover the edges in duct tape so they aren't rough, hang the kimono, and then cover the whole thing with a few garbage bags taped together. Then I'll hang it from the ceiling in a corner out of the way.

      Does anyone see any potential problems with this? Or perhaps an alternate solution? I don't want to inadvertently damage my new baby. Its been occupying the guest bedroom bed since Halloween ^_^

      Thank you very much!
      Amanda
    • Penny Ladnier
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 4, 2010
        Amanda,

        When working in a museum, we rolled quilts on large carpet rolls that are
        made of cardboard. You probably get an empty roll at a carpet store. We
        covered the rolls first with acid-free tissue paper. After you have rolled
        the kimono, cover it with more tissue. Make a large pouch and slip the
        entire thing into the pouch. Whatever you do, please don't store it in an
        attic or basement.

        Penny Ladnier

        Owner, The Costume Gallery Websites

        <http://www.costumegallery.com> www.costumegallery.com

        14 websites of fashion, textiles, & costume history

      • Nora & Bruce Mai
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 5, 2010
          Rolling is a better idea than hanging if you can.

          And no plastic bags of any kind - wrap it in cloth instead. Really old
          sheets would work great, use a running stitch to hold it together.

          Nora Mai

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 5, 2010
            Whatever you do, don't hang it on a hanger! I'm not even past the costuming amateur/newbie stage, but I've learned from others not to hang most special occasion garments. With the weight of all those sequins, the shoulder/back seams will give way sooner or later if it's hung. The suggestions to roll the kimono on a big tube is probably the best thing to do. Changing its position during the year is probably a good idea, too. If you use fabric to wrap it in, make sure its washed/rinsed and has no residues that might damage the sequins, and if you can find acid-free tissue paper, use that (and tell me where you found it!)

            Best Wishes, Happy Thanksgiving, Peace, Longevity, Prosperity!!!
            Serit

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 5, 2010
              I love the idea of hanging it buuuuuuut the pvc & duct tape scream acid. And no
              no no noooooooo garbage bags. If its not going to hang for years and years I
              would get some acidfree batting to cover the pvc then wrap that in a cotton
              sheet (making it into one of those fancy padded hangers). Then cover the whole
              thing with a "sleeping bag" of cotton sheeting (take 2 sheets and sew them up on
              the sides and top to make a pocket). Fabric needs to breath. And since we are
              heading into the winter months I would keep it away from heating vents.

              But in a perfect world I would put that puppy on display! You put all that work
              into it why not show it off! I just don't know how to keep dust off and keep it
              from fading.

              I made an enormous kimono for Halloween and then covered that sucker in sequins.
              I'm now trying to decide how to store it since I don't want to fold it. The
              lining is a metallic lame that creases like paper, and the lines of sequins get
              "bent". Ironing it is enough to drive a person crazy.

              I don't plan on using this costume for awhile, so my idea was to get a PVC pipe
              cut to the proper length, cover the edges in duct tape so they aren't rough,
              hang the kimono, and then cover the whole thing with a few garbage bags taped
              together. Then I'll hang it from the ceiling in a corner out of the way.

              Does anyone see any potential problems with this? Or perhaps an alternate
              solution? I don't want to inadvertently damage my new baby. Its been occupying
              the guest bedroom bed since Halloween ^_^

              Thank you very much!
              Amanda

            • Elizabeth Phillips

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 5, 2010
                  No acid from PVC but there are other chemicals involved so best to wrap whatever you're rolling on before you roll the kimono on to it.

                  Nora

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 5, 2010
                    yeah, we think of plastic as inert, but it's not.
                    No plastic bags, in fact if anyone has stuff in the closet that is
                    covered with a dry cleaner bag, go remove that bag right now. Unless
                    it's one of the special breathable ones designed for storage (which you
                    probably paid extra for). Much better to make covers of old cotton
                    sheets, well washed, or better yet cotton muslin, thoroughly washed. You
                    can just cut a hole in the center of the end of an old cotton
                    pillowcase, that will fit over most garments.

                    Bruce & Nora Mai wrote:

                    > No acid from PVC but there are other chemicals involved so best to wrap
                    > whatever you're rolling on before you roll the kimono on to it.
                    >
                    > Nora
                    >
                    > --- On Fri, 11/5/10, Elizabeth Phillips <lilibetp@...
                    > <mailto:lilibetp%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                    >
                    > From: Elizabeth Phillips <lilibetp@... <mailto:lilibetp%40yahoo.com>>
                    > Subject: Re: [F-Costume] Costume Storage Question (Kimono)
                    > To: F-Costume@yahoogroups.com <mailto:F-Costume%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > Date: Friday, November 5, 2010, 8:43 AM
                    >
                    > No! Don't put garbage bags on it. Take an old white sheet - 100%
                    > cotton to cover it in. I'm not sure about the pvc pipe, either - there
                    > might be something acidic in it.
                    >
                    > --- On Fri, 11/5/10, cuprysa@... <mailto:cuprysa%40yahoo.com>
                    > <cuprysa@... <mailto:cuprysa%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                    >
                    > Hello there ^_^
                    >
                    > I made an enormous kimono for Halloween and then covered that sucker in
                    > sequins. I'm now trying to decide how to store it since I don't want to
                    > fold it. The lining is a metallic lame that creases like paper, and the
                    > lines of sequins get "bent". Ironing it is enough to drive a person crazy.
                    >
                    > I don't plan on using this costume for awhile, so my idea was to get a
                    > PVC pipe cut to the proper length, cover the edges in duct tape so they
                    > aren't rough, hang the kimono, and then cover the whole thing with a few
                    > garbage bags taped together. Then I'll hang it from the ceiling in a
                    > corner out of the way.
                    >
                    > Does anyone see any potential problems with this? Or perhaps an
                    > alternate solution? I don't want to inadvertently damage my new baby.
                    > Its been occupying the guest bedroom bed since Halloween ^_^
                    >
                    > Thank you very much!
                    > Amanda

                  • Ann Garner
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 5, 2010
                      At 09:51 AM 11/5/2010, you wrote:
                      >or better yet cotton muslin, thoroughly washed. You
                      >can just cut a hole in the center of the end of an old cotton
                      >pillowcase, that will fit over most garments.
                      I watch at the thrift stores for these, especially the king size. I
                      can get them there for a dollar each, regular sized ones are usually
                      50 cents. I also use them to store blankets and quilts. They store
                      in less space if I roll them then place them in the pillow
                      cases. Rolled quilts surprisingly take up less room than folded ones.
                      Ann in Arkansas
                    • Amanda
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 5, 2010
                        Original poster here.

                        Thanks everyone! Phew, glad I asked! I never considered the chemical components of garbage bags...

                        I'll hit up a carpet store to see if I can get a large cardboard tube. Rather than wrapping the tube in acid-free tissue paper, which could get a little expensive, could I also wrap it (the tube) in an old sheet? I will make my storage pouch out of old sheets.

                        Thank you so much for all the responses :)

                        - Amanda

                        > No plastic bags, in fact if anyone has stuff in the closet
                        > that is
                        > covered with a dry cleaner bag, go remove that bag right
                        > now. Unless
                        > it's one of the special breathable ones designed for
                        > storage (which you
                        > probably paid extra for). Much better to make covers of old
                        > cotton
                        > sheets, well washed, or better yet cotton muslin,
                        > thoroughly washed. You
                        > can just cut a hole in the center of the end of an old
                        > cotton
                        > pillowcase, that will fit over most garments.
                        >
                        > Bruce & Nora Mai wrote:
                        > >

                        > > No acid from PVC but there are other chemicals
                        > involved so best to wrap
                        > > whatever you're rolling on before you roll the kimono
                        > on to it.
                        > >
                        > > Nora
                        > >
                        > > --- On Fri, 11/5/10, Elizabeth Phillips <lilibetp@...
                        >
                        > > <mailto:lilibetp%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > From: Elizabeth Phillips <lilibetp@...
                        > <mailto:lilibetp%40yahoo.com>>
                        > > Subject: Re: [F-Costume] Costume Storage Question
                        > (Kimono)
                        > > To: F-Costume@yahoogroups.com
                        > <mailto:F-Costume%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > > Date: Friday, November 5, 2010, 8:43 AM
                        > >
                        > > No!  Don't put garbage bags on it.  Take an
                        > old white sheet - 100%
                        > > cotton to cover it in.  I'm not sure about the
                        > pvc pipe, either - there
                        > > might be something acidic in it.
                        > >
                        > > --- On Fri, 11/5/10, cuprysa@...
                        > <mailto:cuprysa%40yahoo.com>
                        > > <cuprysa@...
                        > <mailto:cuprysa%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hello there ^_^
                        > >
                        > > I made an enormous kimono for Halloween and then
                        > covered that sucker in
                        > > sequins. I'm now trying to decide how to store it
                        > since I don't want to
                        > > fold it. The lining is a metallic lame that creases
                        > like paper, and the
                        > > lines of sequins get "bent". Ironing it is enough to
                        > drive a person crazy.
                        > >
                        > > I don't plan on using this costume for awhile, so my
                        > idea was to get a
                        > > PVC pipe cut to the proper length, cover the edges in
                        > duct tape so they
                        > > aren't rough, hang the kimono, and then cover the
                        > whole thing with a few
                        > > garbage bags taped together. Then I'll hang it from
                        > the ceiling in a
                        > > corner out of the way.
                        > >
                        > > Does anyone see any potential problems with this? Or
                        > perhaps an
                        > > alternate solution? I don't want to inadvertently
                        > damage my new baby.
                        > > Its been occupying the guest bedroom bed since
                        > Halloween ^_^
                        > >
                        > > Thank you very much!
                        > > Amanda

                        >     F-Costume-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      • Daniel Sanders
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 5, 2010
                          Also, google "Kimono Hanger". They actually do make them specifically for kimono. I have a large collection of kimono and hang them on one according to the season. I have a few really heavy Uchikake (wedding kimono) made of silk woven with metal and then topped off with more metal embroidery. They hang fine in my experience. I believe you can have one sourced from www.ichiroya.com or try eBay. But they definitely make a specific hanger for kimono. Because rolling it up sounds great, but you'll definitely need to air it out every once in a while, so why not have a proper hanger to do it on?