Re: [F-Costume] Star Wars

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 25, 2010
      Substituting solid for a pattern -- given it's very subtle you could get
      away with it. If it's not common knowledge, others wouldn't know
      either. (This said, I know SW has "cannon" rules so I don't know if
      that's allowed or instead you're "suppose to" go for a pattern. )

      The color looks good... because you can see the Maggie's photo is
      lightened to show the pattern. (Note how over-white the hands are.)

      >> Does anyone know (cough **Cat** cough) if they exhibited Barriss
      Offee's costume?

      Me-sa rather clueless about Star Wars costuming. Really. Maggie has
      lots of links to more Star Wars exhibit pics, so the costume may be in
      someone elses photos if it's been exhibited anywhere. Try the London
      exhibit. Check the main page, http://www.padawansguide.com/ , far left
      menu's about half way down, there's a selection of exhibits.

      >> Thanks all! And get on those costumes! We only have 6 nights left!

      True, but we can wear costumes all year long. Mundanes only have this
      weekend.

      -Cat-
    • Purple Kat
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 26, 2010
        I don't know Star Wars - so I asked my local "NJ Jedi" person...

        He says "it is fairly easy - just google the name and it looks like a Renn
        Faire-type outfit, with a black velvet cloak"
        or try: http://www.theforce.net

        Sorry he is not more helpfull. Now if you asked about GI Joe or male Jedi
        outfits.... he could go on for HOURS!!!!

        Katheryne

        On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 1:04 PM, s <slc_fire@...> wrote:

        > Ok are you ready to dust off your Star Wars braincells? :)
        >
        > Does anyone know (cough **Cat** cough) if they exhibited Barriss Offee's
        > costume?
        >
        > Thanks all! And get on those costumes! We only have 6 nights left!
        >
        > Sheree

      • Daniel Sanders
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 26, 2010
          I looked at it more for you. Look at this image from the same site:

          http://www.padawansguide.com/fidm/maggie/lum5.jpg

          This is not a velvet, but rather a woven fabric that actually reminds me of the Lothlorien woolen weave fabric just I'm different colors. I.E. a loosely woven wool with a wave like pattern to the weave. It also looks to have been intentionally poorly washed to create a hill like appearance on top of the textured weave itself.

          The cape itself looks to be slightly more than floor length in the back that has a diagonal curve upwards as it comes to the front. If you look closely, there are also no sleeves to this fabric, but simply holes in the side seams of this shaped cape for her hands to come through. There looks to be a slight extension or cuff where this hole is, only cut with the cape, not added in later. I'm also pretty sure it's lined to get the proper whoop and twirl during movement and lightsaber flourishes.

          Clear as mud? I hope I'm describing what I'm seeing right.

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 26, 2010
            >> This is not a velvet, but rather a woven fabric that actually
            reminds me of the Lothlorien woolen weave fabric just I'm different
            colors. I.E. a loosely woven wool with a wave like pattern to the weave.

            Really good catch there on the fabrics.

            Taking more time to stare at the fabric... two things strike me. One...
            this could be the reversed side of a tapestry weave. And if I remember
            correctly, there is some documentation on some of the other Star Wars
            fabrics that they do sometimes use the back side for a more muted look.
            (But don't quote me there.)

            >> It also looks to have been intentionally poorly washed to create a
            hill like appearance on top of the textured weave itself.

            2nd... Ya know when I wax all hyper about washing fabrics marked dry
            clean only??? This could very easily be that type of fabric reaction.
            Fabrics that are a blend, often with warf and weft being two different
            fibers, or fibers being different percentages, a nice hot wash takes the
            fabric from mostly polished to softer and textured. Think about a thin
            fabric w/ a woven pattern, about the weight of a good damask
            tablecloth... IF the fibers shrink at different rates, or even the twist
            w/i a thread are different... you can get that type of look as the hot
            water effects things different.

            One caution... if you do a shrink like that. Hang the fabric a while
            before you cut... and DO NOT cut really shaped pieces that don't have a
            good tolerance for stretch. So, it's a good to use fabrics like that
            for cloaks and robes.... not something you use for a bodice... though I
            have used this type of fabric for medieval gowns - cut on the straight
            grain... get almost a bias or stretch reaction.

            What's wrecked fabric for some... is a fab fine for others.