Re: [F-Costume] Corset

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 18 4:03 PM
      On 9/18/2010 2:36 PM, Daniel Sanders wrote:
      > Have you thought about making the corset an inch smaller than you'd
      > normally do in the waist? Once the bamboo fill (batting, not boning)
      > is added, it would bring the measurement back to your normal
      > measurement if you subtracted from the start.

      With fibro, I'd go the other direction. DO NOT tight lace. With a bad
      flare, even breathing hurts sometimes. Being laced tighter means you
      have to try and breath harder... going to make those muscles on the
      ribcage work more.

      You want to use the corset to create the lines. You don't need to tight
      lace.

      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 18 5:34 PM
        agreed, Elizabethan corsets were about the inverted cone silhouette, not
        the tiny Scarlett O'Hara waist. It doesn't need to squeeze much, only be
        snug and firm.
        Agree about the plastic boning being too bendy. And definitely agree
        about not having to bone every inch of it across: you can get away with
        a 1/2" steel bone every inch and a half to two inches, if you want the
        ventilation. If it seems too sloppy, fill in between with corded
        channels. Those will add flexible firmness with plenty of
        breathe-ability. I can't document that combination, so if that matters,
        oh well.
        Of course we want to see pix of the finished project!

        Cat Devereaux wrote:

        > On 9/18/2010 2:36 PM, Daniel Sanders wrote:
        > > Have you thought about making the corset an inch smaller than you'd
        > > normally do in the waist? Once the bamboo fill (batting, not boning)
        > > is added, it would bring the measurement back to your normal
        > > measurement if you subtracted from the start.
        >
        > With fibro, I'd go the other direction. DO NOT tight lace. With a bad
        > flare, even breathing hurts sometimes. Being laced tighter means you
        > have to try and breath harder... going to make those muscles on the
        > ribcage work more.
        >
        > You want to use the corset to create the lines. You don't need to tight
        > lace.
        >
        > -Cat-

      • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 18 8:20 PM
          Also, all my local hardware stores only had small ties in the
          electrical section. I just happened to be in the ductwork section
          and that's where I found the large cable/duct ties. So, if you can't
          find the size you need in electrical, go to where they have heating
          and ventilation ducting.

          Sandy

          At 04:15 PM 9/18/2010, you wrote:
          >Softer, and one of the more popular things lately is thick cable tie
          >(hardware store kind, not the little ones). Just cut off the ends.
          >Smooth the ends by heating and smoothing it down by shaping/rounding on
          >a glass/metal surface.
          >
          >-Cat-

          "Those Who Fail to Learn History
          Are Doomed to Repeat It;
          Why They Are Simply Doomed."

          Achemdro'hm
          "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
          -- C. Y. 4971

          Andromeda
        • Naresha
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 19 1:53 AM
            Whilst on the topic of what the hardware store has that one can use in costumes, I'd like to suggest irrigation tubing.  Definitely not period by any stretch of the imagination but I've just recently made a hoop skirt with it and it worked wonders.
            1) It's pretty cheap.  2) It's EXCEPTIONALLY light weight.  3) It's easily cut and somewhat malleable - I found that I could flatten it out as well without too much effort.  I'm not sure what length you need it to be, but you can get pre-cut lengths that you attach the sprayers to.  They're quite narrow - about half a centimetre thick I think - but they're good and sturdy.  Just not sure of they'd be long enough for your purpose.

            Resha

            At 04:15 PM 9/18/2010, you wrote:

            >Softer, and one of the more popular things lately is thick cable tie

            >(hardware store kind, not the little ones). Just cut off the ends.

            >Smooth the ends by heating and smoothing it down by shaping/rounding on

            >a glass/metal surface.

            >-Cat-

            "Those Who Fail to Learn History

            Are Doomed to Repeat It;

            Why They Are Simply Doomed."

            Achemdro'hm

            "The Illusion of Historical Fact"

            -- C. Y. 4971

            Andromeda

          • Jeanine Swick
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 19 2:27 PM
              I recall a discussion quite a while ago on one of the lists where
              someone was using the narrow tubing for aquariums. It is reasabonly
              inexpensive and is available in packages of various lengths.

              Jeanine

              On 09/19/2010 04:53 AM, Naresha wrote:

              > Whilst on the topic of what the hardware store has that one can use in
              > costumes, I'd like to suggest irrigation tubing. Definitely not
              > period by any stretch of the imagination but I've just recently made a
              > hoop skirt with it and it worked wonders.
              > 1) It's pretty cheap. 2) It's EXCEPTIONALLY light weight. 3) It's
              > easily cut and somewhat malleable - I found that I could flatten it
              > out as well without too much effort. I'm not sure what length you
              > need it to be, but you can get pre-cut lengths that you attach the
              > sprayers to. They're quite narrow - about half a centimetre thick I
              > think - but they're good and sturdy. Just not sure of they'd be long
              > enough for your purpose.
              >
              > Resha
              >
              > --- On Sun, 19/9/10, Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <costumrs@...
              > <mailto:costumrs%40radiks.net>> wrote:
              >
              > From: Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <costumrs@...
              > <mailto:costumrs%40radiks.net>>
              > Subject: [F-Costume] Re: Corset
              > To: F-Costume@yahoogroups.com <mailto:F-Costume%40yahoogroups.com>
              >

              > Also, all my local hardware stores only had small ties in the
              >
              > electrical section. I just happened to be in the ductwork section
              >
              > and that's where I found the large cable/duct ties. So, if you can't
              >
              > find the size you need in electrical, go to where they have heating
              >
              > and ventilation ducting.
              >
              > Sandy
              >
              > At 04:15 PM 9/18/2010, you wrote:
              >
              > >Softer, and one of the more popular things lately is thick cable tie
              >
              > >(hardware store kind, not the little ones). Just cut off the ends.
              >
              > >Smooth the ends by heating and smoothing it down by shaping/rounding on
              >
              > >a glass/metal surface.
              >

              > >-Cat-
              >
              > International Costumers' Guild Archivist
              >
              > http://www.costume.org/gallery2/main.php
              >
              > "Those Who Fail to Learn History
              >
              > Are Doomed to Repeat It;
              >
              > Those Who Fail To Learn History Correctly -
              >
              > Why They Are Simply Doomed."
              >
              > Achemdro'hm
              >
              > "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
              >
              > -- C. Y. 4971
              >
              > Andromeda

            • Ann Garner
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 19 2:34 PM
                At 04:27 PM 9/19/2010, you wrote:
                >I recall a discussion quite a while ago on one of the lists where
                >someone was using the narrow tubing for aquariums. It is reasabonly
                >inexpensive and is available in packages of various lengths.
                You can also buy various tubings at the hardware store, cut by the
                foot. I got some to make a double-ended crochet hook.
                Ann in Arkansas