Re: [F-Costume] Corset

  • Ann Garner
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 18, 2010
      At 04:29 PM 9/18/2010, you wrote:
      > The corset is going to push that seam in.... unless you can find
      >one of the tanks w/ no seam that are circular knit.
      The men's underwear tanks qualify as no seams.
      Ann in Arkansas
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 18, 2010
        On 9/18/2010 2:36 PM, Daniel Sanders wrote:
        > Have you thought about making the corset an inch smaller than you'd
        > normally do in the waist? Once the bamboo fill (batting, not boning)
        > is added, it would bring the measurement back to your normal
        > measurement if you subtracted from the start.

        With fibro, I'd go the other direction. DO NOT tight lace. With a bad
        flare, even breathing hurts sometimes. Being laced tighter means you
        have to try and breath harder... going to make those muscles on the
        ribcage work more.

        You want to use the corset to create the lines. You don't need to tight
        lace.

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 18, 2010
          agreed, Elizabethan corsets were about the inverted cone silhouette, not
          the tiny Scarlett O'Hara waist. It doesn't need to squeeze much, only be
          snug and firm.
          Agree about the plastic boning being too bendy. And definitely agree
          about not having to bone every inch of it across: you can get away with
          a 1/2" steel bone every inch and a half to two inches, if you want the
          ventilation. If it seems too sloppy, fill in between with corded
          channels. Those will add flexible firmness with plenty of
          breathe-ability. I can't document that combination, so if that matters,
          oh well.
          Of course we want to see pix of the finished project!

          Cat Devereaux wrote:

          > On 9/18/2010 2:36 PM, Daniel Sanders wrote:
          > > Have you thought about making the corset an inch smaller than you'd
          > > normally do in the waist? Once the bamboo fill (batting, not boning)
          > > is added, it would bring the measurement back to your normal
          > > measurement if you subtracted from the start.
          >
          > With fibro, I'd go the other direction. DO NOT tight lace. With a bad
          > flare, even breathing hurts sometimes. Being laced tighter means you
          > have to try and breath harder... going to make those muscles on the
          > ribcage work more.
          >
          > You want to use the corset to create the lines. You don't need to tight
          > lace.
          >
          > -Cat-

        • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 18, 2010
            Also, all my local hardware stores only had small ties in the
            electrical section. I just happened to be in the ductwork section
            and that's where I found the large cable/duct ties. So, if you can't
            find the size you need in electrical, go to where they have heating
            and ventilation ducting.

            Sandy

            At 04:15 PM 9/18/2010, you wrote:
            >Softer, and one of the more popular things lately is thick cable tie
            >(hardware store kind, not the little ones). Just cut off the ends.
            >Smooth the ends by heating and smoothing it down by shaping/rounding on
            >a glass/metal surface.
            >
            >-Cat-

            "Those Who Fail to Learn History
            Are Doomed to Repeat It;
            Why They Are Simply Doomed."

            Achemdro'hm
            "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
            -- C. Y. 4971

            Andromeda
          • Naresha
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 19, 2010
              Whilst on the topic of what the hardware store has that one can use in costumes, I'd like to suggest irrigation tubing.  Definitely not period by any stretch of the imagination but I've just recently made a hoop skirt with it and it worked wonders.
              1) It's pretty cheap.  2) It's EXCEPTIONALLY light weight.  3) It's easily cut and somewhat malleable - I found that I could flatten it out as well without too much effort.  I'm not sure what length you need it to be, but you can get pre-cut lengths that you attach the sprayers to.  They're quite narrow - about half a centimetre thick I think - but they're good and sturdy.  Just not sure of they'd be long enough for your purpose.

              Resha

              At 04:15 PM 9/18/2010, you wrote:

              >Softer, and one of the more popular things lately is thick cable tie

              >(hardware store kind, not the little ones). Just cut off the ends.

              >Smooth the ends by heating and smoothing it down by shaping/rounding on

              >a glass/metal surface.

              >-Cat-

              "Those Who Fail to Learn History

              Are Doomed to Repeat It;

              Why They Are Simply Doomed."

              Achemdro'hm

              "The Illusion of Historical Fact"

              -- C. Y. 4971

              Andromeda

            • Jeanine Swick
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 19, 2010
                I recall a discussion quite a while ago on one of the lists where
                someone was using the narrow tubing for aquariums. It is reasabonly
                inexpensive and is available in packages of various lengths.

                Jeanine

                On 09/19/2010 04:53 AM, Naresha wrote:

                > Whilst on the topic of what the hardware store has that one can use in
                > costumes, I'd like to suggest irrigation tubing. Definitely not
                > period by any stretch of the imagination but I've just recently made a
                > hoop skirt with it and it worked wonders.
                > 1) It's pretty cheap. 2) It's EXCEPTIONALLY light weight. 3) It's
                > easily cut and somewhat malleable - I found that I could flatten it
                > out as well without too much effort. I'm not sure what length you
                > need it to be, but you can get pre-cut lengths that you attach the
                > sprayers to. They're quite narrow - about half a centimetre thick I
                > think - but they're good and sturdy. Just not sure of they'd be long
                > enough for your purpose.
                >
                > Resha
                >
                > --- On Sun, 19/9/10, Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <costumrs@...
                > <mailto:costumrs%40radiks.net>> wrote:
                >
                > From: Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <costumrs@...
                > <mailto:costumrs%40radiks.net>>
                > Subject: [F-Costume] Re: Corset
                > To: F-Costume@yahoogroups.com <mailto:F-Costume%40yahoogroups.com>
                >

                > Also, all my local hardware stores only had small ties in the
                >
                > electrical section. I just happened to be in the ductwork section
                >
                > and that's where I found the large cable/duct ties. So, if you can't
                >
                > find the size you need in electrical, go to where they have heating
                >
                > and ventilation ducting.
                >
                > Sandy
                >
                > At 04:15 PM 9/18/2010, you wrote:
                >
                > >Softer, and one of the more popular things lately is thick cable tie
                >
                > >(hardware store kind, not the little ones). Just cut off the ends.
                >
                > >Smooth the ends by heating and smoothing it down by shaping/rounding on
                >
                > >a glass/metal surface.
                >

                > >-Cat-
                >
                > International Costumers' Guild Archivist
                >
                > http://www.costume.org/gallery2/main.php
                >
                > "Those Who Fail to Learn History
                >
                > Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                >
                > Those Who Fail To Learn History Correctly -
                >
                > Why They Are Simply Doomed."
                >
                > Achemdro'hm
                >
                > "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
                >
                > -- C. Y. 4971
                >
                > Andromeda

              • Ann Garner
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 19, 2010
                  At 04:27 PM 9/19/2010, you wrote:
                  >I recall a discussion quite a while ago on one of the lists where
                  >someone was using the narrow tubing for aquariums. It is reasabonly
                  >inexpensive and is available in packages of various lengths.
                  You can also buy various tubings at the hardware store, cut by the
                  foot. I got some to make a double-ended crochet hook.
                  Ann in Arkansas