Re: [F-Costume] Costume fabric Q.

  • Mandy Oldroyd
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
      OK! Done that now- so you can see the stuff in action.
      On the group site in the folder marked Mandy
      It's not quite as shiny in real life, as the flash really caught the
      metallic bits in this one, but you can get silk organza without- plain
      unadulterated silk. Which is easier to use.
      It's a different beast to the nylon/poly organzas but nicer to work
      with and takes heat well too. In fact I recommend silk organza as a
      pressing cloth to my students. It's very good for underlining as it
      adds no weight to a garment but increases the strength and crease
      resistance no end. Oh and the selvedge makes great stay tape. Not a
      bit gets wasted in my workroom....
      oops went on a bit there didn't I?-

      The movie has already been added to our DVD rental list....

      As I said I can't really see properly so I'm likely to be wrong, but I
      do think it would be worth a look at some silk organza in the flesh
      then you could at least rule it out.

      If I come acrross any other possibilties I'll let you know.
      you may all be sorry I joined this list!

      Mandy
      still in the UK where it's persisting it down!

      On 01/07/05, Slider <Bloodofthereaper@...> wrote:
      > Hey Mandy, that'd be great if you could post a pic of it. I've never worked
      > with silk organza before (never had a project that called for it). If it's
      > anything like the crispness of the synthetic kind i kinda don't think that's
      > it but I could be wrong.
    • Cillista
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
        Thanks Mandy, upon reconsideration, that might acually be it. I'm
        really wondering now. The part I was looking at in the front sides
        that i said looked so shiny like pleather is actually the same fabric
        as the underskirt. So that makes a bit more sense now that i'm not
        looking for something with the sheen of pleather lol. I just never
        noticed that the silver trim lines on the back didn't run around to
        the front, i don't know why it took me so long to notice that. But I
        really hope that maybe someone else can put their 2 cents in too so I
        can finally find out FOR SURE this time lol. Thanks again Mandy! Btw,
        where did you get that fabric the only places i've seen it want a
        fortune.

        Cilllista
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
          Cillista wrote:
          > Btw,
          > where did you get that fabric the only places i've seen it want a
          > fortune.

          You can get white (55" 5mm) and off-white (43" 5mm) silk organza for
          approx $5 yd from Dharma <http://www.dharmatrading.com>. You just have
          to dye it yourself - and of course Dharma is the best place for dye stuff

          -Judy
        • Mandy Oldroyd
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
            I bought mine in Berwick (pronounced Berrik) street in London.
            I am now minus several limbs as the metallic version is not cheap
            12GBP per meter, about 22 USD/yard. However the velvet for the rest of
            that outfit was a bargain so I decided it was OK.
            In the UK there are quite a few places to buy the plain silk organza
            but I had to have THAT one. (you know how that goes!)

            Now planning a late Victorian/fantasy outfit for an SF "do". Building
            from the inside out so this weekend it's the corset. I dyed the satin
            coutil last weekend as it was optic white and I don't do white. Some
            plant sprayer bottles and three colours of dye later
            it's a wonderful mottled sludgy mix of rust orange, chocolate brown
            and olive green.. It may see daylight as outerwear too so I need it to
            be wearable.

            Mandy
            in the UK