looking for military items

  • Kat
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 10, 2010
      First:
      I am looking for info on what a WWII female Mechanic (Motor Pool) would have worn.
      I'm thinking of wearing a version of a flight suit... but I need to know what type of pins / insignia would be worn on it.

      Second:
      I have a friend who needs a buckle for his modern ACU Army outfit.. He has the belt itself, but needs a buckle (in black if possible).
      I know he can go and buy the complete belt - but he only needs the buckle.

      Thanks
      Katheryne
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10, 2010
        For those in the LA area...

        The Labyrinth of Jareth Masquerade Ball - Just released an small group
        of tickets for the sold out Saturday.

        July 16 and 17 at the Park Plaza, downtown LA
        http://www.labyrinthmasquerade.com/

        Fabulous annual costume bash that mixes costumes and artists.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 11, 2010
          Katheryne,

          Take a look over on www.shorpy.com - its a database of old pictures.

          Also check your local army/navy store. They carry the military issue black metal
          buckles. Sometimes, if they are larger stores, they will carry 7vintage WW11
          pins and such. The may also have guys that know what they would have worn then -
          they can be a great source of info.

          Sheree
          Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as
          well dance!

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 11, 2010
            I've ordered things from http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/ before. They're quick and cheap. Their inventory changes a lot, so you kind of have to search through, but you might find what you're looking for.
          • Elizabeth Phillips
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 11, 2010
              There might be some photos of the Queen in an outfit like that.

              --- On Sat, 7/10/10, Kat <kringskeep@...> wrote:
              First:
              I am looking for info on what a WWII female Mechanic (Motor Pool) would have worn.
              I'm thinking of wearing a version of a flight suit... but I need to know what type of pins / insignia would be worn on it.

            • SoldierGrrrl
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 11, 2010
                On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Kat <kringskeep@...> wrote:
                > First:
                > I am looking for info on what a WWII female Mechanic (Motor Pool) would have worn.
                > I'm thinking of wearing a version of a flight suit... but I need to know what type of pins / insignia would be worn on it.

                Google images is rife with pictures:

                http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/ats-humber.htm

                http://www.prints-online.com/pictures_1608111/land-girls-wwii.html

                http://www.pophistorydig.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/1940s-rosie-photo4-50.jpg

                http://www.corbisimages.com/images/67/BB05E3F8-BFAC-4F20-8E12-24DCE715BCE3/IH179015.jpg

                http://www.pophistorydig.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/1995-wwii-songscd.jpg

                http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-WAC/img/USA-WAC-5.jpg

                http://media.photobucket.com/image/WWII%20female%20mechanic/flibbetyjib/Misc/grandma.jpg

                That's what I found in less than five minutes.
                --
                I've asked forgiveness from the Lord, now take my soul, and bring my sword.