Re: [F-Costume] Costume fabric Q.

  • Slider
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2005
      Hey Mandy, that'd be great if you could post a pic of it. I've never worked with silk organza before (never had a project that called for it). If it's anything like the crispness of the synthetic kind i kinda don't think that's it but I could be wrong. The movie is shown on the sci-fi channel or sometimes on AMC if you get either of those in the UK, you can also pick up the dvd at any large chain of movie rental stores. If you've ever seen or heard of Labryinth, The Neverending Story, Willow, or The Dark Crystal it's often mentioned in the same circles and was considered for a long time to be the best fantasy movie till LOTR came along. And the guy who directed Gladiator directed this one too. So it's worth a rental.... Thanks for your input Mandy!

      Cillista
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
        OK! Done that now- so you can see the stuff in action.
        On the group site in the folder marked Mandy
        It's not quite as shiny in real life, as the flash really caught the
        metallic bits in this one, but you can get silk organza without- plain
        unadulterated silk. Which is easier to use.
        It's a different beast to the nylon/poly organzas but nicer to work
        with and takes heat well too. In fact I recommend silk organza as a
        pressing cloth to my students. It's very good for underlining as it
        adds no weight to a garment but increases the strength and crease
        resistance no end. Oh and the selvedge makes great stay tape. Not a
        bit gets wasted in my workroom....
        oops went on a bit there didn't I?-

        The movie has already been added to our DVD rental list....

        As I said I can't really see properly so I'm likely to be wrong, but I
        do think it would be worth a look at some silk organza in the flesh
        then you could at least rule it out.

        If I come acrross any other possibilties I'll let you know.
        you may all be sorry I joined this list!

        Mandy
        still in the UK where it's persisting it down!

        On 01/07/05, Slider <Bloodofthereaper@...> wrote:
        > Hey Mandy, that'd be great if you could post a pic of it. I've never worked
        > with silk organza before (never had a project that called for it). If it's
        > anything like the crispness of the synthetic kind i kinda don't think that's
        > it but I could be wrong.
      • Cillista
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
          Thanks Mandy, upon reconsideration, that might acually be it. I'm
          really wondering now. The part I was looking at in the front sides
          that i said looked so shiny like pleather is actually the same fabric
          as the underskirt. So that makes a bit more sense now that i'm not
          looking for something with the sheen of pleather lol. I just never
          noticed that the silver trim lines on the back didn't run around to
          the front, i don't know why it took me so long to notice that. But I
          really hope that maybe someone else can put their 2 cents in too so I
          can finally find out FOR SURE this time lol. Thanks again Mandy! Btw,
          where did you get that fabric the only places i've seen it want a
          fortune.

          Cilllista
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
            Cillista wrote:
            > Btw,
            > where did you get that fabric the only places i've seen it want a
            > fortune.

            You can get white (55" 5mm) and off-white (43" 5mm) silk organza for
            approx $5 yd from Dharma <http://www.dharmatrading.com>. You just have
            to dye it yourself - and of course Dharma is the best place for dye stuff

            -Judy
          • Mandy Oldroyd
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
              I bought mine in Berwick (pronounced Berrik) street in London.
              I am now minus several limbs as the metallic version is not cheap
              12GBP per meter, about 22 USD/yard. However the velvet for the rest of
              that outfit was a bargain so I decided it was OK.
              In the UK there are quite a few places to buy the plain silk organza
              but I had to have THAT one. (you know how that goes!)

              Now planning a late Victorian/fantasy outfit for an SF "do". Building
              from the inside out so this weekend it's the corset. I dyed the satin
              coutil last weekend as it was optic white and I don't do white. Some
              plant sprayer bottles and three colours of dye later
              it's a wonderful mottled sludgy mix of rust orange, chocolate brown
              and olive green.. It may see daylight as outerwear too so I need it to
              be wearable.

              Mandy
              in the UK