Re: [F-Costume] Re: "Wearing" Fabric?

    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 25, 2010
      >> Fullers earth works great for giving just the right slight dirt to
      cuffs and collars

      But it's not really perminate enough even with hairspray. Good for
      productions but not a long term costume... imho, or is there a new
      fixative?

      >> For fading/toning down a color - wash on hot with a new black T
      shirt and new jeans

      I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that finds that a good "greying"
      option. ;-)

      >> Rolling around in a sealed bucket of sand can take the shine off
      satin a bit - works like sandpaper, but you can send it down hill by
      itself. We did 10 buckets on a big hill - drove down, hauled them back
      up by car - I think 8 or 9 trips did the trick.

      How many yards of fabric were you working with to have that much fun???
      What kind of project?

      Can you tell I love talking distressing whether it's 'loving hands at
      home' like we did w/ zombies as well last year... but the pro stuff...
      from sand barrows to cement mixers is so much more fun.

      -Cat-
    • cloakmakerusa
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 26, 2010
        For zombies, we use a wood rasp and tie it to the trailer hitch for a few miles...

        The bucket project was a promo movie trailer for "Blade of the King" 20 T tunics and 20 pair of drawstring pants, 20 cowl hoods, done after sewing so the seams would distress properly...big food service buckets and a 1/2 mile hill (local small ski slope)

        --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote:

        > >> Fullers earth works great for giving just the right slight dirt to
        > cuffs and collars
        >
        > But it's not really perminate enough even with hairspray. Good for
        > productions but not a long term costume... imho, or is there a new
        > fixative?
        >
        > >> For fading/toning down a color - wash on hot with a new black T
        > shirt and new jeans
        >
        > I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that finds that a good "greying"
        > option. ;-)
        >

        > >> Rolling around in a sealed bucket of sand can take the shine off
        > satin a bit - works like sandpaper, but you can send it down hill by
        > itself. We did 10 buckets on a big hill - drove down, hauled them back
        > up by car - I think 8 or 9 trips did the trick.
        >
        > How many yards of fabric were you working with to have that much fun???
        > What kind of project?
        >

        > Can you tell I love talking distressing whether it's 'loving hands at
        > home' like we did w/ zombies as well last year... but the pro stuff...
        > from sand barrows to cement mixers is so much more fun.
        >
        > -Cat-

      • Jehanni
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 30, 2010
          --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Naresha <north_shore_fruitcake@...> wrote:
          <snip>I was HOPING (but won't be bitterly disappointed if I can't) to fade the blue a bit - so it kind of gets a bit of that look of "been washed 10000 times"- that greyed out sort of dullness that lighter coloured clothes tend to get when well loved.  I don't want to darken it as such and my capacity for dying things is pretty low right now.<snip>

          In my experience, "tea dyeing" with regular black tea tends to a grayish brown, while coffee lends a more golden brown...however, herbal teas can yield all sorts of tints from pinkish and purplish to greenish and yellow. I can't find the link I used to have about someone's experiments with a wide variety of herbal teas and their resulting colors--sorry!

          What you should know is that tea-dyeing is not necessarily colorfast like commercial dyes, and the acid in the tea can damage some fibers over time.

          But you want to FADE the color--so you're looking for various types of bleaching.

          Depending on your time and climate, spread the fabric out in strong sunshine. This can have a noticiable bleaching effect in just a couple of days on some fabrics. Some royal blue acetate taffeta that my mother gave me is pale puce on the light-faded edges.

          Other accidental bleaching agents I've discovered: "suntan" lotion (I use sunblock, myself--SPF 30 and above) seems to be the culprit on a couple of poly satin costumes, and moisturizer might have caused the streaks on a pale turquoise satin cape.

          I understand acne lotion can be a fabric bleach, but haven't tested it myself.

          I've used lemon juice and sunlight to bleach my hair in summers past.

          Jonatha