Re: 50's dress fabric

  • cloakmakerusa
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2010
      My first thought was Ric-rack, and my suggestion for a print would be red & white rather than black & white.

      Dina

      --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote:

      > >>We are making 1950's dresses, ... more towards an early 50's day-time
      > tennis type dress than one of those full skirt things. Was wondering,
      > would a black linen or black/white check be appropriate?
      > Also what sort of trim could I put around the neck line, which is almost
      > a square neckline but comes in more at the shoulders.
      >
      > Kinda hard question, because for 50's need to also know if this is
      > upper/middle/lower class city/country.
      >
      > Black was not used nearly so much, especially for day unless you get
      > into very top end metro. Prints (different kinds of fabrics depending
      > on class/area). Trim would be soooooooo variable on the same thing.
      > Ric-rack was even worn by adult women casual, but city wouldn't be
      > caught dead with that, bits of lace, tucks.
      >
      > Ya know, I'd check for some movies on TCM to give you some idea.
      >
      > -Cat-

    • Oak
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2010
        Thanks for replies
        I love ric-rac, and I have a box full, so perfect suggestion.
        We have to make our own dresses for a social event, any class/area is fine.
        I'm watching Back to the Future and Grease this week, 2 movies that a friend
        suggested!

        --
        Comment on Ottar's blog @ http://ottargames.wordpress.com/

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2010
          >> I love ric-rac, and I have a box full, so perfect suggestion.
          We have to make our own dresses for a social event, any class/area is fine.
          I'm watching Back to the Future and Grease this week, 2 movies that a friend
          suggested!

          Remember, ric-rac won't be for "city" style. Don't be afraid of small
          to mid prints. Cotton is good, checks are good too... but probably not
          blacks and browns. Collars and cuffs, even on short sleeves. White.
          Pressing is important. Wear a slip. Consider short gloves if it's
          suppose to be evening, or any kind of a party. (You can take them off,
          but you show up with them on.)

          You're doing early 50's, not sure how well those two movies will work...
          ALSO because they're based on movies of that time, not that time. In
          the Back to the Future movie, remember that paradory they do of what
          cowboys wear from the 50's??? (That cheezy fringe and color.) Look at
          the parents clothing more than the kids clothing if you use those
          movies... the non-stars. Those will be more accurate.

          Rule for any "vintage" movie... the throw away extra that are not
          characters, but in the forground-ish, are more likely to dresses in
          real stuff w/o a modern slant put on them. However, the palet is still
          likely tweaked to help the scene.

          Watching a movie from that "time", the star, even as middle or lower
          class will almost always be better dress/better makeup/better hair.
          Look at the secondaries to better reflect the time/class. (When the
          movie is filmed now, the extras are a mix, and it depends on the budget
          if they had folks show in street clothing, or dressed them.)