Re: [F-Costume] Displaying costumes?

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 25, 2010
      >> I'd love to display them somehow, rather than just cramming them in
      a closet where no one can see them. I was thinking of just putting them
      on hangers and hanging them on hooks on my walls, but I have a small
      house, so I don't have much free wall space. Plus, the only room where I
      have any wall space at all is also the room where I keep the cat litter
      box. I'm afraid the fabric will absorb the odors from the litter box.

      Beyond issues w/ oder (ick), the dust from the catbox could cause more
      issue... anything you'd be displaying you'd want to washable so you
      could get the catbox dust off it.

      Pins though a costume, especially for a lot of renfaire stuff that's
      HEAVY, you could risk tears if it's there too long.

      Also... too much light (ie direct morning sun) will fade things very fast.

      That said... on walls w/o direct sun, great place to put any props that
      can be heavy brushed, shaken, damp cleaned, or whatever. You can hang
      those on hooks or rig up some cord or pretty ribbon.

      If it's something heavy, secure it.... that advice comes from a friend
      who had a LARGE movie sword collection he displayed all over his
      house... including on over the door frames.... one of which was the same
      under which he sheltered during a quake. Ouch.

      If you have a dress form you're not using all the time, drape some
      pretty fabric over the neck area. Dress the dressform. You can put
      that in the corner of the living room. Good conversation starter....
      but if the outfit is ground level... beware it becoming a cat toy.

      -Cat-
    • Bowker,Cynthia M
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 26, 2010
        That's a good point about the dust and sunlight - I hadn't thought of that. Someone at work suggested something that I might look into. He said to get one of those free-standing portable canvas "wardrobes" with clear plastic on the front. That way they'd be protected, but they'd still be visible.

        Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I'll let you know if I come up with something brilliant :)

        Cynthia Bowker
        Library IT
        University of Florida
        352-273-2800