Displaying costumes?

  • Cynthia
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 25, 2010
      Long-time lurker here, with kind of an odd question. I've made a couple of costumes, and I've collected quite a few from RenFests and the like over the years. I'd love to display them somehow, rather than just cramming them in a closet where no one can see them. I was thinking of just putting them on hangers and hanging them on hooks on my walls, but I have a small house, so I don't have much free wall space. Plus, the only room where I have any wall space at all is also the room where I keep the cat litter box. I'm afraid the fabric will absorb the odors from the litter box.

      So, do you creative people have any neat ideas for how to store / display costumes? Thanks!

      Cynthia
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 25, 2010
        Get a better brand of cat litter that controls odor better? <G>

        I've heard of some people who would tack simple costumes artfully onto
        their living room walls! "simple" as in single layer.

        -Judy

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 25, 2010
          Maybe a glass-front cabinet? That would keep them clean. even if it was
          only big enough for one at a time, you could rotate them at will.
          An alternative to wall space would be a dress form, but I don't know how
          you'd keep the cats off it unless you could find a big enough cabinet
          for the whole stand.

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 25, 2010
            >> I'd love to display them somehow, rather than just cramming them in
            a closet where no one can see them. I was thinking of just putting them
            on hangers and hanging them on hooks on my walls, but I have a small
            house, so I don't have much free wall space. Plus, the only room where I
            have any wall space at all is also the room where I keep the cat litter
            box. I'm afraid the fabric will absorb the odors from the litter box.

            Beyond issues w/ oder (ick), the dust from the catbox could cause more
            issue... anything you'd be displaying you'd want to washable so you
            could get the catbox dust off it.

            Pins though a costume, especially for a lot of renfaire stuff that's
            HEAVY, you could risk tears if it's there too long.

            Also... too much light (ie direct morning sun) will fade things very fast.

            That said... on walls w/o direct sun, great place to put any props that
            can be heavy brushed, shaken, damp cleaned, or whatever. You can hang
            those on hooks or rig up some cord or pretty ribbon.

            If it's something heavy, secure it.... that advice comes from a friend
            who had a LARGE movie sword collection he displayed all over his
            house... including on over the door frames.... one of which was the same
            under which he sheltered during a quake. Ouch.

            If you have a dress form you're not using all the time, drape some
            pretty fabric over the neck area. Dress the dressform. You can put
            that in the corner of the living room. Good conversation starter....
            but if the outfit is ground level... beware it becoming a cat toy.

            -Cat-
          • Bowker,Cynthia M
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 26, 2010
              That's a good point about the dust and sunlight - I hadn't thought of that. Someone at work suggested something that I might look into. He said to get one of those free-standing portable canvas "wardrobes" with clear plastic on the front. That way they'd be protected, but they'd still be visible.

              Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I'll let you know if I come up with something brilliant :)

              Cynthia Bowker
              Library IT
              University of Florida
              352-273-2800