Re: Painting rubber?

  • darth_eagle
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 17, 2010
      "antigone68104" <LLWatts@...> wrote:
      > If everything else is going to work out, I only have one problem left. Rubber work boots only come in black, I need white boots. What's a good paint to use on rubber?

      Must the surface be smooth?

      One option is to cover the boots with White Vinyl just like how those who did the Star Wars Biker Scout did their boots.

      Or you can try looking for suppliers/shop that cater to those who worked for the Seafood/Poultry etc section of the Supermarket and thus wear White Work Boots.

      Fatimah
    • Kevin Curley
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 17, 2010
        Look up plasti-dip on line---I think it will cover your needs.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 20, 2010
          Hello, i have had some experience dealing with rubber before

          I used enamel once which didnt work, it just cracks. so then experimented with Acrylics and that works so much better as it is flexible ( mixed with water, but not too much  )

          you have to make sure the paint will stick to the surface, smooth moulded rubbers or plastics will not take any kind of paint and it will flake/peel off
          i found by rubbing down the surface with mild sand paper roughens up the rubber, removing the smooth shiny surface so that the paint will adhere to it better and last much much longer, and that way in future, when the paint does eventually come off, you can simply paint on more layers, so re-painting will eventually need to be done, but will last much longer than painting onto smooth shiny rubber on its own

          i have painted many plastic props and things in the past, and made sci fi suits of armour out of rubber that was painted silver, so i hope this info helps you

          let us know how it goes
          Jerrico