Tracing Tables...

  • Sterling
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
      I'm tired of taping my patterns to my back glass door in order to trace my patterns. I've decided to build a Tracing Table. Right now in the preliminary stages I'm thinking of somewhere in the size range of 24" x 48". I've got a small table, but it's a pain to have to move the pattern several times to get the full thing traced.

      Anyone have any thoughts on Tracing Tables in general?

      Anyone know of any plans for Tracing Tables that size? I've tried to find plans, but have not been able to locate anything of that size range?

      Plexi of a decent thickness seems to be <coff> <coff> a bit on the pricy side. Are there cheaper alternatives? …ways to brace the thin stuff so it will work?

      As costumers we deal in a lot of non-standard things. Which is why I was wanting it so much bigger that what I have been seeing in the local stores or available online. Am I shooting too high? Is there a better alternate size?

      Thanx all for your thoughts…
      Sterling
      92.5% Pure
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
        Hi Sterling

        I made a light table about that size last year. I couldn't find bumkiss online for plans and online sellers are crazy pricey. I went to a local art store that carries nice expensive wooden ones and took pictures with my cell phone. Then I just built a box that looked similar and dropped in 2 under cabinet florecent lights. I got everything I needed at Home Depot. I made it out of poplar because it was pretty. I used heavy plexi and built a rail around the inside of the box to support it. It's huge and unwielding but I love it.

        I can write up how I did it and send it off list (unless other folks want to know).

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
          Was wondering what your budget is on this project. I personally use a cheep glass coffee table I got at a garage sale and have a simple shop lamp under it for illumination--total cost about $30.00. The size is exactly what you are looking for and no construction was needed.
          I saw the same table at Wall mart for $40.00 and a lamp would run you about $12.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
            brilliant, and if a coffee table is too low, you can just put it up on
            blocks.

            Kevin Curley wrote:

            > Was wondering what your budget is on this project. I personally use a
            > cheep glass coffee table I got at a garage sale and have a simple shop
            > lamp under it for illumination--total cost about $30.00. The size is
            > exactly what you are looking for and no construction was needed.
            > I saw the same table at Wall mart for $40.00 and a lamp would run you
            > about $12.
            >
            > --- On Wed, 12/2/09, slc_fire <slc_fire@...
            > <mailto:slc_fire%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
            >
            > From: slc_fire <slc_fire@... <mailto:slc_fire%40yahoo.com>>
            > Subject: Re: [F-Costume] Tracing Tables...
            > To: F-Costume@yahoogroups.com <mailto:F-Costume%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Date: Wednesday, December 2, 2009, 9:06 AM
            >

            > Hi Sterling
            >
            > I made a light table about that size last year. I couldn't find bumkiss
            > online for plans and online sellers are crazy pricey. I went to a local
            > art store that carries nice expensive wooden ones and took pictures with
            > my cell phone. Then I just built a box that looked similar and dropped
            > in 2 under cabinet florecent lights. I got everything I needed at Home
            > Depot. I made it out of poplar because it was pretty. I used heavy plexi
            > and built a rail around the inside of the box to support it. It's huge
            > and unwielding but I love it.
            >
            > I can write up how I did it and send it off list (unless other folks
            > want to know).
            >
            > Sheree
            >

            > ____________ _________ _________ __

          • Ann Garner
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
              Glass top dining table, which a friend already has, $1 thrift store
              purchased "up light" accent light.
              Ann in Arkansas
            • Sterling
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2009
                Sounds about what I am looking to make. Couple of questions:

                Do you notice sag or flex in the middle of the plexi? Did you support the middle in any way? I've used plexi to make shields for my stained glass grinder and the like. It worked for the application, but it was thin and flexed quite a bit. Not a problem for a shield as I do not touch it, but I'm a bit leary for the tracing table as I will be 'leaning' on it.

                You mentioned "heavy plexi". Do you have any idea how heavy? 1/4", 3/8", thicker???

                Thanx
                Sterling
                92.5% Pure

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 3, 2009
                  I can't remember which thickness it was because I just took the thickest I could find at Home Depot (I want to say it was 3/8 thick). I ran a rail around the entire outter edge and that seems to be holding it up well. You can add a support in the middle but it would create a deadzone. I've leaned on the table while I was drawing and it hasn't sagged.

                  Sounds about what I am looking to make. Couple of questions:

                  Do you notice sag or flex in the middle of the plexi? Did you support the middle in any way? I've used plexi to make shields for my stained glass grinder and the like. It worked for the application, but it was thin and flexed quite a bit. Not a problem for a shield as I do not touch it, but I'm a bit leary for the tracing table as I will be 'leaning' on it.

                  You mentioned "heavy plexi". Do you have any idea how heavy? 1/4", 3/8", thicker???

                  Thanx
                  Sterling
                  92.5% Pure

                  --- In F-Costume@yahoogrou ps.com, slc_fire <slc_fire@.. .> wrote:

                  > Hi Sterling
                  >
                  > I made a light table about that size last year. I couldn't find bumkiss online for plans and online sellers are crazy pricey. I went to a local art store that carries nice expensive wooden ones and took pictures with my cell phone. Then I just built a box that looked similar and dropped in 2 under cabinet florecent lights. I got everything I needed at Home Depot. I made it out of poplar because it was pretty. I used heavy plexi and built a rail around the inside of the box to support it. It's huge and unwielding but I love it.
                  >
                  > I can write up how I did it and send it off list (unless other folks want to know).
                  >
                  > Sheree

                • jehanni2
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 8, 2009
                    --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Sterling" <dailylunatic@...> wrote:

                    <snip> Do you notice sag or flex in the middle of the plexi? Did you support the middle in any way?

                    If you put the plexi over a glass table top, the glass will support it--no sag.

                    Glass-top tables are fairly weasy to find in stores or thrift stores. I'll bet, without websurfing to verify, that IKEA has a glass top that can combine with various heights of legs.

                    The lightboxes (various sizes) I have all have frosted glass surfaces, to diffuse the lightsource, cut glare, even out "dull" spots. All use flourescent tube bulbs as well, for larger surface/coverage, cut down on heat, and be more energy-efficient.

                    I would pay some thought to height so that you minimize muscle strain in your back and neck: now that I'm approaching 50, I'm much more sensitive to the damage I've accumulated from a lifetime of poor posture and intense concentration. ;-)