Steampunk Jacket Lining...

  • Sterling
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 10, 2009
      Hey all.
      I'm interested in my very first Steampunk. Never heard of it before a couple of months ago (boy do I feel out of it). I'd like to find a Steampunk themed fabric suitable for a coat or jacket lining.

      I have a couple of sources for custom printed fabric, but I'd prefer not to go to that extreme if possible.

      I'm thinking gears, sprockets, clockworks, and the like...

      Anyone have suggestions?

      Sterling
      92.5% Pure
    • Julian Mandragora
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 10, 2009
        I don't have a source for the fabric, but what I did at one point was use metallic fabric paints and stenciled gears onto the fabric I had. I used the blank plastic sheets to make the stencils and cut the stencils themselves using bicycle gears in different sizes as patterns. I kept the paint light in texture and just kind of brushed it over the exposed area without actually laying the paint in and overlapped the stencils. I used a brownish-copper fabric and used various shades of gold, silver and copper acrylic paint mixed with a medium that makes them suitable for fabrics. I didn't use it as a jacket lining, but it made a really nice shirt.

        Julian

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 10, 2009
          Have you checked out what's available in the quilt department
          of your local fabric shop? Otherwise I'd suggest a search for online
          quilt fabrics.

          I realize cotton will be a bit "sticky" for a lining. Just use
          a white polyester to line the sleeves and you should be ok.

          -Carol

          On Nov 10, 2009, at 8:39 PM, Sterling wrote:

          > Hey all.
          > I'm interested in my very first Steampunk. Never heard of it
          > before a couple of months ago (boy do I feel out of it). I'd like
          > to find a Steampunk themed fabric suitable for a coat or jacket
          > lining.
          >
          > I have a couple of sources for custom printed fabric, but I'd
          > prefer not to go to that extreme if possible.
          >
          > I'm thinking gears, sprockets, clockworks, and the like...
          >
          > Anyone have suggestions?
          >
          > Sterling
          > 92.5% Pure
        • Penny Ladnier
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 10, 2009
            LadyButton Fabrics has a nice variety of novelty prints.

            Penny Ladnier
            Owner, The Costume Gallery Websites
            www.costumegallery.com
            13 websites of fashion, textiles, costume history

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 10, 2009
              While this is decoration vs. fabric... this might help you if you want
              to try and stamp on your own.

              There's a guy on Etsy who makes laser cuts of thin wood gears, They run
              from a half inch to almost 2 inches. You can pick up a handfull of them
              for less than one gear of the same size. You could make your own stamp
              out of them. They're thin, so you'd have to be careful not to over
              ink.. but you'd get the effect for under $10 for a whole set of shapes.

              Here's the product:
              http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=21241813 .
              (That's actually a sold link because he only has one in stock right now,
              but he'll put more up on request.) Here's his store:
              http://www.etsy.com/shop/porkchopshow . He also does a lot of steam
              punk art designs that can be used as bits on costume. Check his
              previous sales to see the full range of what he has. One note... since
              he does a lot of this for scrapbooking, a number of things are just
              paper, confirm it's on wood if you plan on using them on costumes or as
              stamp.

              On the other hand, if you want metal, again w/o spending the whole
              bank... check out this page: http://www.timholtz.com/findings.htm .
              Look at sprocket gears. Again it's a cheat, but way cheaper. (Oh, time
              suck warning... Tim's website has LOTS of cool how-to videos. A number
              of the scrapbooking techniques for distressing can be applied to
              fabric. HOWEVER, use your head... sand paper is MUCH cheaper bought at
              the hardware stores... and you can make up fabric paints from acrylic
              paints and fabric medium. (Some of those inks will work w/ fabric, but
              don't go overboard w/o testing. He does good vid. Those how-to vids
              make you want to buy his whole store.) Also, if painting the fabric,
              he has masks and stamps of some useful images.
              http://www.timholtz.com/masks.htm You don't have to order this
              online, Michael's carries a lot of it. Watch the prices on his stuff...
              prices vary like crazy.

              It's extra work this way, but custom fabric vs. just a pre-print

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 11, 2009
                This is fab Cat! I need to go check out those vids.

                I've been looking for pre-printed steamy fabric for a couple years now. I've seen most in the specialty quilting stores but every once in a while (especially now that SP is popular) I've found some in the quilt sections at the local big name fabric stores. You can also search online for gears, maps, octopi, science and then add fabric on the end. I've turned up some great stuff. Now is a great time to find Victorian Macabre fabrics (bats, skulls, etc).

                Having made a bunch of SP costumes and drooled over even more I've found the hand made effect like Cat and others have described looks far better. It is the essence of what SP really is! The original Punk movement was all about taking what you had (t-shirt, safety pins, jeans, jackets, paint) and creating something totally unique so as not to fit with the status quo. Now take that and toss in anything and everything Victorian and poofy walla you have Steam Punk. So be creative! Why stick to a pre-printed cotton fabric? Rummage around in the discount bin for some brocade satins! Gorgeous!

                ShereeLife may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 11, 2009
                  great stuff! saving it for steampunk orc...
                  --
                  Jules