looking for turkish garb merchant

  • winchestersgirl
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 24, 2009
      I wanted to attend my next event in turkish garb.

      I had a costume pattern that I could modify.

      I had made lovely sketches of my design idea.

      I had this gorgeous indigo and silver fabric selected.

      But our home renovations have gone MUCH slower than planned and I currently have NO sewing room and NO available space in the entire house to work!!!

      I will need to purchase garb.

      Can anyone recommend a good Turkish garb merchant (online)?

      I have been looking and can't find anything.
    • Kevin Curley
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 24, 2009
        What do you mean by "turkish" costume? Do you mean for men, women,bellydancing???

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 24, 2009
          >> What do you mean by "turkish" costume? Do you mean for men,
          women,bellydancing

          If historic garb... at least what century? Links to pics or
          portraits? (Yes, there are not a lot, but...) Pattern you were going
          to use???

          Often folks want the "movie" version... if so... what movies?
          Links??? There's lots of cool fantasy movies that claim a generic
          middle-easter area.

          If going towards historic, which people. There are major differences in
          ethnic choices. If going for historical... here's a sampling of the
          garment shapes: http://www.indiana.edu/~librcsd/etext/tilke/

          -Cat-
        • winchestersgirl
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 24, 2009
            I'm Not looking for the sequined/beaded night-club type belly dancing costumes (the beaded bra-top and beaded dance belt ensembles with the chiffon veils and harem pants)

            Yes, they are really, really, pretty, but these did not become popular until right before the 20th century.

            A choli and a skirt and I believe that it's called a gwazhee coat.

            Pediod - during the (European) Medieval and Renaissance periods, or prior to 1600 CE, the Western Calendar.

            I've been told that the yelek, anteri, or more commonly called the gwzahee coat, being in SCA period for belly dancers, actually began in Persia, not Turkey....but I like the look.

            It's a VERY good look, widely used in the SCA and other groups for a more period and authentic look than caberet, and much warmer for fall and winter events.

            --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote:

            > >> What do you mean by "turkish" costume? Do you mean for men,
            > women,bellydancing
            >
            > If historic garb... at least what century? Links to pics or
            > portraits? (Yes, there are not a lot, but...) Pattern you were going
            > to use???
            >
            > Often folks want the "movie" version... if so... what movies?
            > Links??? There's lots of cool fantasy movies that claim a generic
            > middle-easter area.
            >
            > If going towards historic, which people. There are major differences in
            > ethnic choices. If going for historical... here's a sampling of the
            > garment shapes: http://www.indiana.edu/~librcsd/etext/tilke/
            >
            > -Cat-

          • Kevin Curley
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 24, 2009
              Look at the costuming under this link---they may have what you are looking for   http://www.esmishanna.com/links.html

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 25, 2009
                Not to be too sticky but ya I'm gonna be a little sticky... As far as any documents can show the gwahzee coat is after 1600 and is based on turkish not persian design.  The persians had a similar coat but it wasn't tight fitted and didn't have the cut-out that went around the breats. There are a few sellers selling ghwazee coats on etsy (they are very popular with the belly dance community at the moment). If you want to be historically correct go with a turkish enteri or a persian coat. Both are so easy to make that there aren't many people selling them.

                But I guess this brings us to Cat's point - what exactly are you looking for? Historcally accurate garments are hard to find. Not many folks are selling them. In my opinion it's because they aren't flatering to the western eye and they are crazy easy to make. There are more folks out there selling modern belly dance ghwazee coats. There are 3 for sale on etsy (search belly dance coat).

                Cholis are indian. It's been tossed around that they aren't exactly historically accurate for pre 1600 but I beg to differ on that point. They are all over illuminations that date pre 1600. You can find those at your local sari shop or there are thousands of online stores that sell them. If you buy online be careful of their sizes. Boobs just aren't as big in the indian world. I've run into that problem a LOT. sigh Best to go to a local indian sari shop and try them on.

                I had a link to a merchant that sells persian coats but I can't find it (prolly on my work computer). I can post it later if you want. and www.tribe.net is a fantastic place to find resources and ready made ghwazee coats.

                Hope this helps,