Re: [F-Costume] Need some help

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 26, 2009
      Cat Devereaux wrote:

      > Or... check out a
      > hardware store, or the cooking isle and try on shapes. Costumers do
      > thinks like try out colanders and lampshades and trash baskets. Look
      > for shapes.

      and remember that old movies and tv shows often used baking dishes:
      muffin tins, meatloaf pans..... and dryer venting is good for the
      flexible joints- even comes with screw on collars.

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 26, 2009
        Why wouldn't you use plati-dip?

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 26, 2009
          >>Why wouldn't you use plati-dip?

          Plasti-dip isn't going to give a good mechanical definition. It will
          wick into the fabric and give a softer, organic vs. mechanical look. A
          space suit, in most designs, has a number of mechanical compontents,
          else you set something that looks more like a super hero's garb.

          Also, painting it on a stretch suit removes the stretch from that area.
          Also, it becomes more difficult because you really don't want to paint
          it while on someone w/o putting layers of protection on underneath.

          You could use it on something like woven glover in small strips... but
          you're not going to get a lot of flex, though it will give you 2-D
          flex/curves. Also, it could be used in combination w/ the other
          materials to edge material joins.

          -Cat-
        • Andrew Trembley
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 27, 2009
            slc_fire wrote:
            > Why wouldn't you use plati-dip

            Well, let's see. There's the issue of painting it on the garment,
            getting clean sharp edges and corners, getting even coverage thickness,
            making sure it adheres to the fabric...

            andy
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 27, 2009
              My first instinct, as an artist and costumer, when someone says "you can't do/use that" I say why not? Especially if there is no reason given. I like knowing if folks have used the certain things already. Saves time. If you used it and it didn't work then let us know why so we don't make the same mistakes. Not fond of reinventing the wheel.

              My mind's eye sees a space suit as being slightly organic - I guess its been steeped in images of Dune. I would absolutely try plasti-dip to get an organic effect. I wouldn't paint it on instead I would drip it on - use it more like those gooey fabric paints or like pancake batter. And if it doesn't stick then let it dry and use a glue that will attach it.

              Just thinking outside the box.

              Sheree Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 27, 2009
                >> My first instinct, as an artist and costumer, when someone says "you
                can't do/use that" I say why not? Especially if there is no reason given.

                Agree. In fact, that's where the fun can come in. I remember one
                Future Fashion Folio entry that bagged it was unmakable, I think it
                included rollerskates and wings, or maybe it was just BIG shoulderpads.
                Guess what, someone made it up.

                On spacesuit shapes... yes soooooooo depends on when/what it's from. I
                remember another folio issue... it was back when there were commercials
                for the Dancing California Raisins AND Michale Jackson's moonwalk
                was popular. Just before the Future Folio deadline.... I quickly, and
                w/o reference sketched Raisin in a spacesuit. When I went to draw the
                good line drawing to submit. The first thing I grabbed was a ruler, and
                then a book on the first moon walk. (Yea, pre-internet.) My sketch, w/
                lots of boxes and lines... was almost all by itself an Apollo
                spacesuit.... so it's just what imprints on your brain. I bet it's the
                older ones thinking square corners, and the younger thinking stuff like
                Dune.

                Oh... and while I'm chattering on about the Future Fashion Folio... I
                haven't heard many reminders... http://www.cc28.org/futurefolio.php .
                The deadline is this Wednesday, but you can submit on line... so you've
                still got time to contribute. Here's a longer list of tools and tips:

                More fun things for your weekend!

                -Cat-
              • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 27, 2009
                  Re: Unmakeable design - that was us - maker, not designer. It was
                  called the "Medici Regatta" and was supposed to represent a yacht
                  under full sail - wood-grain bodysuit with stiffened "wings" for the
                  sails, which cantilevered out from the body, etc. We used stiffened
                  satin, with super-heavy weed-whacker line for boning. Picture link here:

                  <http://www.costume-con.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=3270>

                  On the other topic, a wonderful reference book to have for using many
                  kinds of exotic materials, is "Costumes and Chemistry" by Sylvia
                  Moss. It gives uses, safety precautions, etc. for almost any
                  substance that might be used in costuming - glues, paints, dyes,
                  plastics, etc. It's an expensive book, but there might be some
                  available cheaper than publisher's price. Or try the library.

                  Sandy
                  (and yes, our designs are submitted for this year..)

                  At 05:43 PM 9/27/2009, you wrote:

                  > >> My first instinct, as an artist and costumer, when someone says "you
                  >can't do/use that" I say why not? Especially if there is no reason given.
                  >
                  >Agree. In fact, that's where the fun can come in. I remember one
                  >Future Fashion Folio entry that bagged it was unmakable, I think it
                  >included rollerskates and wings, or maybe it was just BIG shoulderpads.
                  >Guess what, someone made it up.
                  >
                  >On spacesuit shapes... yes soooooooo depends on when/what it's from. I
                  >remember another folio issue... it was back when there were commercials
                  >for the Dancing California Raisins AND Michale Jackson's moonwalk
                  >was popular. Just before the Future Folio deadline.... I quickly, and
                  >w/o reference sketched Raisin in a spacesuit. When I went to draw the
                  >good line drawing to submit. The first thing I grabbed was a ruler, and
                  >then a book on the first moon walk. (Yea, pre-internet.) My sketch, w/
                  >lots of boxes and lines... was almost all by itself an Apollo
                  >spacesuit.... so it's just what imprints on your brain. I bet it's the
                  >older ones thinking square corners, and the younger thinking stuff like
                  >Dune.
                  >
                  >Oh... and while I'm chattering on about the Future Fashion Folio... I
                  >haven't heard many reminders...
                  ><http://www.cc28.org/futurefolio.php>http://www.cc28.org/futurefolio.php .
                  >The deadline is this Wednesday, but you can submit on line... so you've
                  >still got time to contribute. Here's a longer list of tools and tips:
                  >
                  >More fun things for your weekend!
                  >
                  >-Cat-

                  "Those Who Fail to Learn History
                  Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                  Why They Are Simply Doomed."

                  Achemdro'hm
                  "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
                  -- C. Y. 4971

                  Andromeda
                • Ann Catelli
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 28, 2009
                    Aaaaa-aaahhhh! I have so much clean-up to do!! (I am inking designs for a friend with an exceedingly sketchy style. FFF designs are best done as if making a coloring book, with One Nice Clear Line, not a thousand sketchy approximations.)

                    And descriptions; I'm sooo bad at writing up descriptions.

                    Oh, this design has long sleeves (if they can't tell that from the drawing, I'm doing a lot of somethings wrong) with a low neck (ditto) with this other detail (ditto again), etc.

                    And I mostly don't care what color an outfit is made; I design by line, where other costumers may be designing by color or surface or technique.

                    On the plus side, My designs are more of a clear line, and mostly cleaned up because it was easy. :) And I've got Lots this year.

                    And my local agricultural fair is next weekend; I must enter my crafts on-line, um, tonight, I think, and I haven't finished crocheting them yet. And also I am working on the fair, so I can't just spend every single evening before Thursday crocheting.

                    Sorry, I'm a little frazzled.

                    Ann in CT

                    --- Cat wrote:

                    > Future Fashion Folio... I haven't heard many reminders...
                    > <http://www.cc28.org/futurefolio.php> .
                    > The deadline is this Wednesday, but you can submit on
                    > line... so you've still got time to contribute.
                    >
                    > -Cat-
                  • Ann Catelli
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 28, 2009
                      Pierre got up two stairs in that contraption/outfit, too! It was an exciting time to be a "stage ninja."

                      Ann in CT