Re: [F-Costume] Help wanted with Halloween costume

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 29, 2009
      spring steel preformed to a pleasing curve? Not that I have the faintest
      idea how to go about it.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 29, 2009
        > A friend of mine is thinking of a devil costume with a prehensile tail
        > for Halloween. Anyone got any suggestions for how to make the tail move?

        Look at those wooden sectional snakes in the kids toy area. Around
        Halloween there's they should be easy to find... maybe even in the
        decoration department. (Actually, they're plastic now, but they still
        paint them to look like the wooden ones we played with as a kid.)

        That could be painted red.

        I found the the unpointed ones...
        http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/search/processRequest.do?Ntt=IN-48%2F3395&x=0&y=0&requestURI=searchMain&Ntk=all&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&N=0
        10 bucks for a dozen, what about being Manervia?

        A "kinda" version of a movable tale I made once for a cat... I unbent a
        hanger, leaving some of the kinks in it, kinda added a coil, and the end
        curved back into a tight "U", then wrapped one of those cheap (very
        thin) feather boas around it in a twist. I attached the top end to a
        belt. It wasn't quite a true tale, but it swayed and swung as I
        danced.... but really did have to watch who was behind me. Not sure if
        the fuzzyness would work for a devil tail... but it was cheap

        -Cat-
      • cloakmakerusa
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30, 2009
          Cord/wire attached to each side of the tail, attached to bicycle brake type cables that run from the wrist. Squeeze the activator, tighten that side of the tail and it lashes to one side.

          > > A friend of mine is thinking of a devil costume with a prehensile tail for Halloween. Anyone got any suggestions for how to make the tail move?
        • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2009
            At 11:54 PM 8/30/2009, you wrote:
            A number of years ago, Steve Swope used one of those wooden snakes,
            the ones with the articulation, as the core of his tail. It kept the
            tail up and swinging back and forth. Very convincing.

            Pierre

            >Cord/wire attached to each side of the tail, attached to bicycle
            >brake type cables that run from the wrist. Squeeze the activator,
            >tighten that side of the tail and it lashes to one side.
            >
            > > > A friend of mine is thinking of a devil costume with a
            > prehensile tail for Halloween. Anyone got any suggestions for how
            > to make the tail move?

            "Those Who Fail to Learn History
            Are Doomed to Repeat It;
            Why They Are Simply Doomed."