Help wanted with Halloween costume

  • carolsfantasy_sf
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 29, 2009
      A friend of mine is thinking of a devil costume with a prehensile tail for Halloween. Anyone got any suggestions for how to make the tail move?
      Carol Mitchell
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 29, 2009
        spring steel preformed to a pleasing curve? Not that I have the faintest
        idea how to go about it.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 29, 2009
          > A friend of mine is thinking of a devil costume with a prehensile tail
          > for Halloween. Anyone got any suggestions for how to make the tail move?

          Look at those wooden sectional snakes in the kids toy area. Around
          Halloween there's they should be easy to find... maybe even in the
          decoration department. (Actually, they're plastic now, but they still
          paint them to look like the wooden ones we played with as a kid.)

          That could be painted red.

          I found the the unpointed ones...
          http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/search/processRequest.do?Ntt=IN-48%2F3395&x=0&y=0&requestURI=searchMain&Ntk=all&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&N=0
          10 bucks for a dozen, what about being Manervia?

          A "kinda" version of a movable tale I made once for a cat... I unbent a
          hanger, leaving some of the kinks in it, kinda added a coil, and the end
          curved back into a tight "U", then wrapped one of those cheap (very
          thin) feather boas around it in a twist. I attached the top end to a
          belt. It wasn't quite a true tale, but it swayed and swung as I
          danced.... but really did have to watch who was behind me. Not sure if
          the fuzzyness would work for a devil tail... but it was cheap

          -Cat-
        • cloakmakerusa
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 30, 2009
            Cord/wire attached to each side of the tail, attached to bicycle brake type cables that run from the wrist. Squeeze the activator, tighten that side of the tail and it lashes to one side.

            > > A friend of mine is thinking of a devil costume with a prehensile tail for Halloween. Anyone got any suggestions for how to make the tail move?
          • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 1, 2009
              At 11:54 PM 8/30/2009, you wrote:
              A number of years ago, Steve Swope used one of those wooden snakes,
              the ones with the articulation, as the core of his tail. It kept the
              tail up and swinging back and forth. Very convincing.

              Pierre

              >Cord/wire attached to each side of the tail, attached to bicycle
              >brake type cables that run from the wrist. Squeeze the activator,
              >tighten that side of the tail and it lashes to one side.
              >
              > > > A friend of mine is thinking of a devil costume with a
              > prehensile tail for Halloween. Anyone got any suggestions for how
              > to make the tail move?

              "Those Who Fail to Learn History
              Are Doomed to Repeat It;
              Why They Are Simply Doomed."