Re: Princess Nuala gown

  • Straya
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 7, 2009
      Thanks for the link Jules.

      I popped the DVD into my computer last night and took a whole bunch of pictures with my digital camera (I couldn't figure out how to get the screen shot thing to work). So I now have a lot of detailed photo's (although the quality isn't the greatest).

      I was able to see that the black overgown gown (same fabric in the Prince's tunic) is actually a black on black print. The red underdress is made up of two fabrics. The collar, sleeves & sleeve linings of the overgown all match - I think these are a woven silk. Then there is a pleated fabric that makes up the middle of the underdress. The sleeves also have a black (or a dark grey) cuff that has a silver stripe running through it at a diaganal - or this might be a strip of trim, but it is layed under the edge of the sleeve.

      The underdress being two fabrics actually works in my favor. I had found the pleated fabric but the store only had less than 2 yards of it. I'm going to have fun trying to match it up to a red silk. :-)

      There was a real quick shot in one of the 'extras' that showed the dress with the hem pulled up and it just looked like she was wearing a long crinoline to give the dress that fullness.

      The belt is going to cause a problem. I'm pretty sure I can get a hold of plenty of the chain, but I'm not sure how to recreate the center structure with the tree of life on it. Anyone have any suggestions for this part?

      Cheers,
      Straya
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 7, 2009
        >> The belt is going to cause a problem. I'm pretty sure I can get a
        hold of plenty of the chain, but I'm not sure how to recreate the center
        structure with the tree of life on it. Anyone have any suggestions for
        this part?

        Any pic to share there??? Don't have the DVD yet. Is is like the
        prince's belt? Was it flat or curved for the "metal". Give us a bit
        more detail and we can work with ya.

        -cat-
      • Straya
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 7, 2009
          You can see most of it in this shot:

          http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/costumersguide/Hellboy2/?action=view¤t=Nuala.jpg

          Although she has the crown piece attached to it at that time. Without the crown piece it is very similar to Nuada's. She wears the belt with both the black/red gown & blue gown. His must be attached to the red sash, since he wears it with all his garb.

          I was trying to take a closer look at his belt/sash.

          http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/costumersguide/Hellboy2/?action=view¤t=02.jpg

          This looks like the same fabric that was used on the sleeve lining of Nuala's black/red dress. It looks to me that it has a nap, or it could just be a play of the light.

          Straya

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 7, 2009
            >>His must be attached to the red sash, since he wears it with all his
            garb.
            >> I was trying to take a closer look at his belt/sash.

            Here's a closer shot.
            http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/costumersguide/Hellboy2/cat%20exhibit%20pics/?action=view¤t=HellBoy2_24.jpg
            (If that link is too long... just go here:
            http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/costumersguide/Hellboy2/cat%20exhibit%20pics/?start=0
            )

            It looks like his is attached to some kind of backing and then it sits
            on top of the backing, and the red is woven around it.

            Princess Nuala's is the same way:
            http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/costumersguide/Hellboy2/?action=view¤t=Nuala.jpg
            <http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/costumersguide/Hellboy2/?action=view¤t=Nuala.jpg>

            Back ground, and the "metal" part sits on top. I'm guessing that they
            used leather and punced in holes for all the rows of cord that form the
            sides of her belt. You could also use an underlayer of something like
            Wonderflex.. If you didn't want it curved, even cardboard... or if you
            want to curve it... get out the modge poge and layers of thin cardboard.

            The metal section... same thing that was done with Arwens belt.
            Sculpy. The catch with sculpy, as a number of folks found... you can't
            stress it. But if you mount it on a firm background of
            leather/wonderflex or anything else that takes the stress, you should be
            good.

            Sculpy:
            http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Elf/Arwen/Chase/MakingChaseBuckle.htm
            Look at some of the fake armor techniques since this belt is a big
            pieces: http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Armor/ArmorCheats.htm

            There are more options, floor squares, fun foam, even puffy t-shirt
            paints. You've lots of options for their time and budget.

            On belt fabric... I think this is the best for the fabric... but we're
            fighting case glare:
            http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/costumersguide/Hellboy2/skarlett%20exhibit%20pics/?action=view¤t=skarlett11.jpg

            I saw it in person, wish I'd taken more notes. It's a shot silk
            (red/black). Midwieght. Not sure beyond that.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 7, 2009
              I've looked at that photo collection a million times but I still drool over it!!

              What is shot silk?

              http://s68.photobuc ket.com/albums/ i31/costumersgui de/Hellboy2/ ?action=view& current=Nuala. jpg

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 7, 2009
                > What is shot silk?

                Silk, just the type of fibers.

                Shot, is just part of the weave.... it's used when the warp and weft
                fibers are different colors. It gives it what tone changing look, one
                moment black, next red. The main color goes one direction, and the
                other color forms the fabric base the other direction.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kette_und_Schu%C3%9F.jpg

                What I couldn't identity was exactly what type of weave. I don't think
                it was satin weave. Not shinny enough, and the distribution of color
                too even.

                More than you want to know about fabric weaving:
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weaving

                Fabric definitions can get crazy...

                Some times we guess at if it's silk/cotton/polly because it can matter
                how the fabric reacts/hangs/looks.

                There's fabric weight, weaves .... both which can effect the hand and
                the look of the fabric.

                -Cat-
              • Straya
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 7, 2009
                  Cat,

                  Thank you for the other shots!! For some reason I didn't find those the first time around. I can see now, what I was taking for a nap was the folds around the medalion.

                  Thanks for the ideas on making it. I've seen thin sheets of metal in the craft store and I'm wondering if I could use that and then glue them to something stronger.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 7, 2009
                    I've seen that kind of silk! Thanks - now I know the name of it.

                    Can never get too much information about weaving. I'm a tablet and inkle weaving hobbyist so I love reading about weaves of textiles!

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 7, 2009
                      >> I've seen that kind of silk! Thanks - now I know the name of it.

                      Taffeta (a weave) is the most likely type to be shot... but this belt
                      fabric looks a bit softer. I don't think wheither it's silk or polly
                      matters. That most likely gets used in ball gowns. But... you'd find
                      this fabric with evening fabrics.

                      If anyone out there has an idea of what folks can google for, for this
                      fabric, give a shot since so many folks have to buy it out on the web
                      because our fabric stores are shutting down.

                      -Cat-
                    • S. M. Wand
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 8, 2009
                        About the 'buckle' or 'clasp' on Nuala's & Nuada's belts: I'm looking
                        at:

                        http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/costumersguide/Hellboy2/cat%20exhi\
                        bit%20pics/HellBoy2_24.jpg

                        Nuada's belt
                        <http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/costumersguide/Hellboy2/cat%20exh\
                        ibit%20pics/HellBoy2_24.jpg>

                        The more I look at this, the more I'm reminded of the White Tree of
                        Gondor; it has swirly roots, the blossoms of the fully alive tree, and a
                        Lothlorian leaf design where the branches spread out.

                        Nuala's belt 'buckle' (on the blue gown)seems to be pierced through,
                        i.e., showing the fabric beneath it, OR attached to a base covered with
                        fabric. it appears that the difference between Nuala's belt and Nuada's
                        is that her 'buckle' has the "art-nouveau" vaguely triangular add-ons,
                        top and bottom, to hold all the little chains--which remind me of
                        ball-chain for cellar lights or soldiers' dog tags, and if I'm not
                        mistaken, you can buy it in different sizes of 'ball' at old-time-y
                        hardware stores (and they're usually steel, so I think they'd take a
                        metal spray-paint okay).

                        http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/costumersguide/Hellboy2/Nuala.jpg

                        Nuala's blue gown w/ book
                        <http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/costumersguide/Hellboy2/Nuala.jpg\

                        You can also see the edge of her belt, under her arm, has some sort of
                        metal or wire rigid 'holder'; here's a less detailed shot, she's in the
                        background, but you can see the 'holder' clearly:

                        http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/costumersguide/Hellboy2/11.jpg

                        Nuala and Abe
                        <http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/costumersguide/Hellboy2/11.jpg>

                        That blue gown, gradient dying (or whatever it's called professionally),
                        and great makeup on the actress make this a really beautiful
                        masterpiece.

                        ...my road still goes ever on and on...
                        Miranduviel (now moved moved to the 22nd Century)

                        p.s. Cat, why does my new browser wig out in the default message
                        posting? It didn't 'see' any paragraph spaces, etc. and just mushed
                        everything together.

                        In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Straya" wrote:
                        >The belt is going to cause a problem. I'm pretty sure I can get a
                        >hold of plenty of the chain, but I'm not sure how to recreate the
                        >center structure with the tree of life on it. Anyone have any
                        >suggestions for this part?
                        >Cheers,
                        >Straya

                      • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 8, 2009
                          At 11:57 AM 7/8/2009, you wrote:
                          >About the 'buckle' or 'clasp' on Nuala's & Nuada's belts: I'm looking
                          >at:
                          >Nuada's belt
                          ><<http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/costumersguide/Hellboy2/cat%20exhibit%20pics/HellBoy2_24.jpg>http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/costumersguide/Hellboy2/cat%20exh\
                          >ibit%20pics/HellBoy2_24.jpg>
                          >
                          >The more I look at this, the more I'm reminded of the White Tree of
                          >Gondor; it has swirly roots, the blossoms of the fully alive tree, and a
                          >Lothlorian leaf design where the branches spread out.

                          Anybody notice that the root system kinda looks like a critter? Face
                          in the middle, legs on each side?

                          >Nuala's belt 'buckle' (on the blue gown)seems to be pierced through,
                          >i.e., showing the fabric beneath it, OR attached to a base covered with
                          >fabric. it appears that the difference between Nuala's belt and Nuada's
                          >is that her 'buckle' has the "art-nouveau" vaguely triangular add-ons,
                          >top and bottom, to hold all the little chains--which remind me of
                          >ball-chain for cellar lights or soldiers' dog tags, and if I'm not
                          >mistaken, you can buy it in different sizes of 'ball' at old-time-y
                          >hardware stores (and they're usually steel, so I think they'd take a
                          >metal spray-paint okay).

                          The chain also comes in brass.

                          >Nuala's blue gown w/ book
                          ><<http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/costumersguide/Hellboy2/Nuala.jpg>http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/costumersguide/Hellboy2/Nuala.jpg\
                          > >

                          >You can also see the edge of her belt, under her arm, has some sort of
                          >metal or wire rigid 'holder'; here's a less detailed shot, she's in the
                          >background, but you can see the 'holder' clearly:
                          >Nuala and Abe
                          ><<http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/costumersguide/Hellboy2/11.jpg>http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/costumersguide/Hellboy2/11.jpg>

                          It reminds me of spacers in vintage multi-stranded pearl necklaces -
                          to keep the strands from tangling...

                          >That blue gown, gradient dying (or whatever it's called professionally),
                          >and great makeup on the actress make this a really beautiful
                          >masterpiece.
                          >
                          >Miranduviel (now moved moved to the 22nd Century)

                          "Those Who Fail to Learn History
                          Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                          Why They Are Simply Doomed."

                          Achemdro'hm