Re: [F-Costume] Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2009
      >> I agree the neck lace seems to be attached to the sheer material -
      you can almost make out a rolled hem on it. And I love that new pic you
      linked to! It really shows the transparancy of the outer fabric!

      Very true... but the "texture" from the fact that it's a scan from the
      magazine, makes it hard to neither confirm or deny that there's some
      kind of a net texture to it.

      >> In that picture it almost looks black or smoky gray. And it looks
      more like a silk gauze.

      My first impressions on color, but then another shot is blue and another
      white or powder blue. But, we're dealing w/ so much photo shopping and
      color grading it's just crazy. Behind the scene pics will tell us the
      most on color.. though they're seldom at a resolution to help w/ fabric
      and texture.

      >> The cotton I have at home is that sheer and still has a ...
      stiffness.. I guess that's what you can call it although its not stiff.
      Maybe strength is more the word I'm looking for.

      Cotton comes off the bold with a heck of a lot of fabric sizing, cotton
      pinafores and aprons used to be starched to give us that traditional
      Alice use. This doesn't look like starching. Starching will give
      stiff large surfaces, but gathers crush quickly and very knife like.

      >> I need to go look up organza because the definition I have in my
      head isn't matching what y'all are talking about. I think I'm confusing
      it with tule.

      Tulle and net are that knotted bridal veil fabric. Those little
      squares. Most often tulle is softer (but not always). It comes in
      different amounts of stiffness. Just think about ballerina tutus. But
      I've also washed up (and beaten up) some tulle to get it soft enough
      that I draw a yard though a ring. You see very little real silk tulle,
      but the only stuff I've played with was very stiff and stood up to a lot
      of abuse.

      Organza is an ultra shear, often sparkly. Sometimes I can get a yard of
      that to stand on it's salvage edges all by itself. Very stiff hand...
      that washing doesn't change much. Almost everything we see is polly.
      You see it a lot on fantasy costumes, little kids princess dresses.
      Check out this pic from Enchanted,
      http://www.costumersguide.com/chobit/enchantedelcapitan-013.jpg , right
      hand side is sparkle organza. (There's regular just kinda sparkly, and
      very sparkly)