Beyonce Hip Padding

  • la_atran
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2009
      I'm attempting to recreate this Beyonce look designed by Thierry Mugler for her tour. It's something like a hip padded leotard.
      http://bwboard.net/tour2009/displayimage.php?album=19&pos=3
      http://bwboard.net/tour2009/displayimage.php?album=19&pos=5
      http://bwboard.net/tour2009/displayimage.php?album=19&pos=7

      I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what type of material I should make the padding out of. I thought about using foam, but I think it might be too soft. Also, if anyone has any fabric suggestions that would be great too. My initial thought was that this was a knit fabric, but upon closer look, there's lots of shaping seams so it might not be.

      Thanks for the help!
    • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2009
        I don't think there's any padding except her. It looks like there's
        a firm understructure (aka corset) and the waist was nipped in too
        much. making her hips pooch out. On some of the shots you can see
        the fabric bunching, and there's also probably some stiffening under
        the hip/butt area to support that big wired bow. That may have
        protruded thru the fabric also. Also notice the bra strap/lining
        that shows at the shoulder - not sure if it was intended to blend
        into the skin, but the close-ups sure show it.

        The seaming on the front dips down in a U shape over the pelvis -
        sort of like an extreme Elizabethan bodice. Makes me wonder if maybe
        it's two pieces, or if the bottom is attached to just a lining and
        the top floats free over it. That would also accentuate the padded
        look of the hips.

        Sandy

        At 08:10 PM 7/1/2009, you wrote:

        >I'm attempting to recreate this Beyonce look designed by Thierry
        >Mugler for her tour. It's something like a hip padded leotard.
        ><http://bwboard.net/tour2009/displayimage.php?album=19&pos=3>http://bwboard.net/tour2009/displayimage.php?album=19&pos=3
        >http://bwboard.net/tour2009/displayimage.php?album=19&pos=5
        ><http://bwboard.net/tour2009/displayimage.php?album=19&pos=7>http://bwboard.net/tour2009/displayimage.php?album=19&pos=7
        >
        >I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what type of
        >material I should make the padding out of. I thought about using
        >foam, but I think it might be too soft. Also, if anyone has any
        >fabric suggestions that would be great too. My initial thought was
        >that this was a knit fabric, but upon closer look, there's lots of
        >shaping seams so it might not be.
        >
        >Thanks for the help!

        "Those Who Fail to Learn History
        Are Doomed to Repeat It;
        Why They Are Simply Doomed."

        Achemdro'hm
        "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
        -- C. Y. 4971

        Andromeda
      • Jilly Harris
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2009
          Somewhat OT since I have no advice, but that get up makes me think it's an
          homage to Tina Turner's character in Mad Max.

          --
          ~Jilly

          "Friendship needs no explanation."