Poodle skirt applique

  • Amanda
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2009
      Hello!

      I'm going to a 50's themed party this weekend and made a personalized applique for my skirt:

      http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj261/AyaBlue/Applique.jpg

      Can everyone tell what that is supposed to be? I tried to replicate some clip art. I'm adding a ribbon for a piece of fabric under the needle and then I'm going to loop some sequin trim around for the thread. The felt on the applique is fabric glued on.

      Do you think the glued felt is durable enough? I'm kinda afraid that the folds in the skirt will pull at the corners of the pieces while I'm swishing around and eventually destroy it. I glued carefully, but I'm still worried.

      Also, do you think shiny fabric is appropriate for a poodle skirt, or more matte? I have some gray poly in my scrap bin that I'm planning on using, and one side is beautifully shiny. My guess is that it needs to be matte though.

      Thank you for any advice you can give! I'm scared that no one is going to be able to recognize that it is an old fashioned sewing machine!

      ~ Amanda
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2009
        >> http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj261/AyaBlue/Applique.jpg
        <http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj261/AyaBlue/Applique.jpg>

        I think it reads fine.

        >> I'm adding a ribbon for a piece of fabric under the needle and then
        I'm going to loop some sequin trim around for the thread. The felt on
        the applique is fabric glued on.

        That's nice sparkle.

        >> Do you think the glued felt is durable enough?

        You need to use a washable glue if you want to wash the skirt afterwards.

        >> I'm kinda afraid that the folds in the skirt will pull at the
        corners of the pieces while I'm swishing around and eventually destroy
        it. I glued carefully, but I'm still worried.

        Well, eventually anything glues will kinda break down... but not for
        just one or two wearings.

        >> Also, do you think shiny fabric is appropriate for a poodle skirt,
        or more matte? I have some gray poly in my scrap bin that I'm planning
        on using, and one side is beautifully shiny. My guess is that it needs
        to be matte though.

        Hey, it's a party. You're using sequins, go for shinny. Those skirts
        were made both ways. More casual ones matt, fancy party stuff, shinny.

        -Cat-
      • Amanda
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2009
          Thanks, Cat.
          I ended up tacking everything down after the glue dried (Allene's Ok to Wash It). I'll post up a pic if I get any good ones at the party ^_^

          Just FYI: Not all of my Yahoo Group messages are getting forwarded properly. I had to come to the main Group page to find this one. I heard there have been some issues in the past week or so. Not just F-Costume, all Yahoo Groups.