Re: [F-Costume] Re: Who's ready for Costume Con 27?

  • Ann Catelli
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 14, 2009
      Boring clothes are also very welcome, if not commented on like the nice stuff.

      Ann in CT
      not head ninja this year, but have spent plenty of CCs in t-shirts & jeans.
      black, when head ninja. ;)

      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 14, 2009
        >> Boring clothes are also very welcome, if not commented on like the
        nice stuff.

        Hey, just wearing mundane clothing does not have to be boring. If
        you're not wearing costumes, you can wear fun stuff -- jewelry, weird
        t-shirts, vintage, whatever.

        While folks watching the show dress up at night, crew often dresses
        down. Also, you can do lots just wearing black, add a fun vest, add
        glitter. Yea, it's still street-ish clothing... but everyone is having
        fun.

        T-shirts with fun slogans, buttons, any con attire, any school attire.
        Or any mix of costume and not. Some folks change many times a day, a
        lot change just for the evening, and some don't. All up to you.

        -Cat-
      • mafgreene
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 14, 2009
          as a costumer, i already look a little off in the regualr 9-5 world :)

          i just have 4 shows opening between now and then and no time to sew for something fun for myslef (THOUGH I REALLLLLLY WANT TO)

          :)
          see you there! i'll be the boring one :)
          -marietta

          --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote:

          > >> Boring clothes are also very welcome, if not commented on like the
          > nice stuff.
          >
          > Hey, just wearing mundane clothing does not have to be boring. If
          > you're not wearing costumes, you can wear fun stuff -- jewelry, weird
          > t-shirts, vintage, whatever.
          >
          > While folks watching the show dress up at night, crew often dresses
          > down. Also, you can do lots just wearing black, add a fun vest, add
          > glitter. Yea, it's still street-ish clothing... but everyone is having
          > fun.
          >
          > T-shirts with fun slogans, buttons, any con attire, any school attire.
          > Or any mix of costume and not. Some folks change many times a day, a
          > lot change just for the evening, and some don't. All up to you.
          >
          > -Cat-

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 14, 2009
            It would figure: I have the time, but location and budget do not fit this laid off would be costumer. Is there a west coast CC planned for the near future?

            Mark in Phoenix, AZ

            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 14, 2009
              >> It would figure: I have the time, but location and budget do not fit
              this laid off would be costumer. Is there a west coast CC planned for
              the near future?

              Main costume con website is here: http://www.costume-con.com/
              They have a list. Sadly these days more are central or east.

              Looking for images of past Costume Cons: http://www.costume-con.org/

              Looking for chapters of the International Costumer's Guild?
              http://www.costume.org/ . Find lists of chapters, more costume photos,
              and other fun stuff. (ICG isn't directly connected to Costume Con, but
              it's where the yearly meeting is held, and con coms are mainly from ICG
              chapters.)

              -c-
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 14, 2009
                Mark wrote:
                > It would figure: I have the time, but location and budget do not fit this laid off would be costumer. Is there a west coast CC planned for the near future?

                The locations are voted on a couple years ahead. It has already been
                decided that next year CC will be in Milwaukee, and after that in NJ.
                The next year will be CC30 and Karen Dick (who is the trademark holder)
                has reserved that anniversary for herself so it will be in Pittsburgh.
                There is no knowing where it will be in 4 years, but these are the
                currently known venues.

                -Judy
              • Megan Thorn
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 14, 2009
                  2011 in NJ? I am pregnant with twins right now.. I might be able to
                  make it to that 1 =-) My sis lives in Milwaukee but I doubt we'd be
                  able to get all 6 of us out there for it. Is it the same dates every
                  year?

                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 14, 2009
                    Megan Thorn wrote:
                    > 2011 in NJ? I am pregnant with twins right now.. I might be able to
                    > make it to that 1 =-) My sis lives in Milwaukee but I doubt we'd be
                    > able to get all 6 of us out there for it. Is it the same dates every
                    > year?

                    no, the dates change with each con. There is a time requirement, that
                    it must be between certain months - basically before summer. I've seen
                    it as late as Memorial Day, and as early as Presidents' Day.

                    BTW, just a thought for anyone on here who is planning on entering any
                    of the competitions (Single Pattern, SF/F, Future Fashion Show,
                    Historic, Simplicity Challenge) remember that you can save lots of time
                    on arrival, but filling out the show forms online! If you get this part
                    of the form all taken care of, all you'll need to do upon arrival is
                    sign the photo-release and pick any tech rehearsal and/or historic
                    pre-judging time that applies. <http://sites.google.com/site/cc27/>

                    -judy
                  • jehanni2
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 14, 2009
                      --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "mafgreene" <mafgreene@...> wrote:

                      <<snip>> but is it frowned upon if you don;t dress up? Also - how do i get a list of the workshops and vendors?<<snip>>

                      Another thing about dressing up--while I like to wear costumes, and I'm guilty of bringing more wardrobe than days-of-con, there are also no requirements that you have to dress, as others have said, and occasionally very good reasons not to.

                      I'm going to be teaching a "Dyeing to Costume Workshop" I think--and when I've offered it before, I always recommend participants wear old clothes, as dye can spill, and I don't want people to a) ruin their costumes or b) be afraid to particpate, for FEAR of ruining their costumes.

                      Different CCs do the programming lists and vendor lists differently: most of the time, if I recall correctly (and those of you on the list who have run or are planning future cons, correct me if I'm wrong, please), the final mix of workshops, presentations and panels is published in the program guide you get when you sign in at registration. However, the website might have a preliminary list. I think the CC 27 website is requesting suggestions of the kind of topics attendees are interested in (http://www.costume-con.com/cc27/pub/CC27survey.pdf)

                      Jonatha
                    • rookwoods
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 15, 2009
                        --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "mafgreene" <mafgreene@...> wrote:

                        > Also - how do i get a list of the workshops and vendors?

                        Hi Marietta,

                        oh eventually those things will get posted. Without going into petty personal issues (doesn't every event have something in the background?), the plan is to put the info on the website when we have it. We know we want to have the vendors list up there so people can start planning their shopping (or at least budget for it)! I've heard that a couple of the areas are sold out, so we have some good vendors with lots of stuff (I just don't know who they are!). Programming is still open for suggestions/offers. That will be finalized a couple of weeks before the event, and as Jonatha mentioned, there will be a pocket program of some sort handed to you when you check in at the registration desk.

                        -Judy
                      • MD Smith
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 15, 2009
                          > Greetings All,
                          >
                          > Among all the fabulous vendors at Costume Con will be Poison Pen Press
                          > <http://www.poisonpenpress.com>. Devra is stocking her inventory now, so if
                          > you have a request, please feel free to email her <devra@...>.
                          >
                          > Among the things I know she¹ll have are the NEW Janet Arnold book, the
                          > stunning catalog from the exhibition Twixt Art & Nature
                          > <http://www.bgc.bard.edu/exhibit/exhibits/Twixt_Art_Nature/index.html>
                          > and the NEW 17 & 18th Century Fashion in Detail and 19th Century Fashion in
                          > Detail books.
                          >
                          > Hope this stokes your appetite for books. Seeya there!
                          >
                          > MD Smith
                          > Washington DC
                          >

                          > --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com <mailto:F-Costume%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                          > "mafgreene" <mafgreene@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> > Also - how do i get a list of the . . . vendors?

                        • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 15, 2009
                            At 10:24 PM 3/14/2009, you wrote:

                            > >> It would figure: I have the time, but location and budget do not fit
                            >this laid off would be costumer. Is there a west coast CC planned for
                            >the near future?

                            As yet there are no bids for CC's after 30. There is a Southwest
                            Chapter in AZ. Maybe you can convince them to bid? That would be great!

                            Pierre (amongst other things CC bidder nag)

                            >Main costume con website is here:
                            ><http://www.costume-con.com/>http://www.costume-con.com/
                            >They have a list. Sadly these days more are central or east.
                            >
                            >Looking for images of past Costume Cons:
                            ><http://www.costume-con.org/>http://www.costume-con.org/
                            >
                            >Looking for chapters of the International Costumer's Guild?
                            ><http://www.costume.org/>http://www.costume.org/ . Find lists of
                            >chapters, more costume photos,
                            >and other fun stuff. (ICG isn't directly connected to Costume Con, but
                            >it's where the yearly meeting is held, and con coms are mainly from ICG
                            >chapters.)
                            >
                            >-c-

                            "Those Who Fail to Learn History
                            Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                            Why They Are Simply Doomed."

                            Achemdro'hm
                            "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
                            -- C. Y. 4971

                            Andromeda
                          • LB
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 15, 2009
                              --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote:

                              > >> It would figure: I have the time, but location and budget do not fit
                              > this laid off would be costumer. Is there a west coast CC planned for
                              > the near future?
                              >
                              > Main costume con website is here: http://www.costume-con.com/
                              > They have a list. Sadly these days more are central or east.
                              >
                              > Looking for images of past Costume Cons: http://www.costume-con.org/
                              >
                              > Looking for chapters of the International Costumer's Guild?
                              > http://www.costume.org/ . Find lists of chapters, more costume photos,
                              > and other fun stuff. (ICG isn't directly connected to Costume Con, but
                              > it's where the yearly meeting is held, and con coms are mainly from ICG
                              > chapters.)
                              >
                              > -c-

                              Hi, I checked out that webpage, but the chapters only list ones in the US. Not very International. ;) Is there anywhere with non-US chapters? I'm looking for something in the UK, specifically.

                              I hope the con goes well, it looks like great fun!
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 15, 2009
                                LB wrote:

                                > Hi, I checked out that webpage, but the chapters only list ones in the US. Not very International. ;) Is there anywhere with non-US chapters? I'm looking for something in the UK, specifically.
                                There used to be a chapter in the UK, but it dissolved a few years ago
                                - likewise the chapter in Australia. There is still a chapter in Canada.
                                Unfortunately, since the organization is a non-profit registered org,
                                once it's created you can't really change the name just because some
                                chapters drop out. They may form up again!

                                > I hope the con goes well, it looks like great fun!

                                thanks, it usually is great fun. I know sometimes some folks folks from
                                UK have come over. And a few years ago CostumeCon was held in Australia
                                (I think it dissolved after that - too much stress).

                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 15, 2009
                                  Yea, ICG is mostly US, some Canada. The exchange rate on the dollar
                                  makes it tough.

                                  You can find the Australian Costumers' Guild at
                                  http://www.australiancostumersguild.org.au/

                                  I know there was a British group. They had their own version of a
                                  Costume Con. Can't remember what it was called to google it. Not sure
                                  if they're still active. Maybe someone else has the link

                                  -Cat-
                                • Cynamin
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 16, 2009
                                    Huge thanks to everyone on your first timer advice! I am getting more excited about this event by the day.

                                    And Jeanine - thanks also for the reminder that being a volunteer is fun. :) I've had a blast being a general helper at a couple of sci-fi cons in the past, and would love to throw in my help as a ninja. Though not at the sci-fi/fantasy masquerade - I've been hit by a sudden bolt of costume inspiration, and if I can get the costume done and the bravery to compete, I might enter that one as a novice.

                                    Looking forward to meeting people, and thanks again everyone for your suggestions!

                                    ~Cynthia

                                    A great way to meet people is offer to help out some where. There is
                                    always something that needs to be done in the con Suite and other
                                    places. I'll be looking for ninjas to help at the masquerades and the
                                    FFF.

                                    Jeanine

                                    MD Smith wrote:

                                    > And don¹t forget the shopping opportunities! There are great bonding
                                    > moments
                                    > available in the face of a stack of books or a pile of lace . . .
                                    >
                                    > MD Smith
                                    > Washington DC

                                  • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 16, 2009
                                      At 10:14 PM 3/15/2009, you wrote:

                                      >LB wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Hi, I checked out that webpage, but the chapters only list ones
                                      > in the US. Not very International. ;) Is there anywhere with non-US
                                      > chapters? I'm looking for something in the UK, specifically.
                                      >There used to be a chapter in the UK, but it dissolved a few years ago
                                      >- likewise the chapter in Australia. There is still a chapter in Canada.
                                      >Unfortunately, since the organization is a non-profit registered org,
                                      >once it's created you can't really change the name just because some
                                      >chapters drop out. They may form up again!

                                      Currently we have a chapter in Canada. We did have chapters in the UK
                                      and Australia, but they have dropped out for various reasons. If you
                                      would like to form a new chapter in the UK, its easy. Drop a line to
                                      the President. There should be a bounce address on the website.

                                      Pierre

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 17, 2009
                                        At 01:44 AM 3/16/2009, you wrote:

                                        >Yea, ICG is mostly US, some Canada. The exchange rate on the dollar
                                        >makes it tough.
                                        >
                                        >You can find the Australian Costumers' Guild at
                                        ><http://www.australiancostumersguild.org.au/>http://www.australiancostumersguild.org.au/
                                        >
                                        >I know there was a British group. They had their own version of a
                                        >Costume Con. Can't remember what it was called to google it. Not sure
                                        >if they're still active. Maybe someone else has the link

                                        It was called Masque.

                                        Pierre