Re: Online Store Selling Bias Tape

  • Sarah
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4 2:46 PM
      20mm could be plenty if it's bold, bright tape with plenty of contrast to the main fabric. It will pop out. I assume you are planning to apply all the tape to the outside of the garment, not wrap it around the edge, that will also help maximize the use of the width.
      Around here, you can get single fold tape in 1/2" or 1" width, although the colors are limited... they also make double fold that ends up 1/4", 1/2", and 1" wide. If you can find 1" double fold tape, that opens out to almost 4" total width.
      hence the online search... cos yeah, it's gonna be miles and miles of it... Still, I've made 10 yards or so at a time for quilt bindings and it's not as bad as it sounds. Granted, that's the easy calico stuff you can cut on the mat with the rotary cutter... and I'm just pressing it in half for a french-fold binding.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4 3:03 PM
        >>Ya, I think I got a rough idea how to make Bias Tape using one of
        those "Bias Tape Making tool"; just not sure if can find one locally for
        making 25mm or even 50mm Bias Tape

        Mail order?
        http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3720&PRODID=prd2791 The
        one on the bottom is 2" . These look like single fold which is what
        you want for this. Looking at the pics from the other day, it's not
        dual fold (the edging stuff.)

        >> and what type of Satin or Gold Fabric to use.

        There in lies the catch. A polly satin will work MUCH better than
        anything that is gold woven/coated or whatever . (This said speaking as
        someone who needed over 30 yards for her sisters wedding dress. Though
        admittedly I drafted her work mates and taught them how to make the
        stuff. I just hand-sewed) Polly-satin slides like a (inset favorite
        cuss word in capitals) and is better sliced up and ironed with a team of
        2 or 3. However, it does press with enough steam. (Besides the
        turning tool, use tools and/or those finger pressing mits.)

        If you want something with real gold color, then you get into the coated
        fabrics. DO NOT USE TISSUE LAME! The coated fabrics are knits. You get
        less bias action AND you're going to have more trouble ironing in the
        crease and probably need to use a teflon pressing cloth to up the heat.

        Other options, both cost more money... (Note: you're hitting the 2 of 3
        rule right in the head: You want it perfect, now, cheap... pick two.)

        1) You can have bias tape custom made from a fabric you select or ask
        them telling the color. It may take a bit of research, but there are
        folks that will do it. Quanity vs. setup charge are the deciding factor.

        2) When dealing with something drawn, or small where detail is SUCKed
        out just to make it work, my rules is anything under 1" is fair game.
        An expanded version of that is, just because it's drawn flat, doesn't
        mean it's not textured. What does that give you???? 2" wide
        flexible gold trim. Total time saver.

        I couldn't find good trim pictures in the wide width, but here's some
        examples in narrow: http://trims-things.com/products/metallic_mix.htm
        All those kinds of trim move around curves beautifully. You want to
        find someone who will sell by the bundle or roll. Don't buy by the
        yard. (The only places I know that carry the wide stuff are in downtown
        LA and don't do mail order.... but if you find the trim, look for larger
        quantiles.) Sometimes it's called braid, sometimes gimp. Folks aren't
        consistent. Cheap trims http://www.cheeptrims.com/, has a 1 1/2 inch in
        gold or 1 5/8 in copper . Good prices, but they have a $65 minimum.

        Another advantage of trim on the bottom, great weight, great swirl.

        -Cat-
      • Melody Watts
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8 12:08 AM
          Last time I contacted CheepTrims, about a week ago, they replied they only sell to the trade,you must have a business license to buy.Too bad.
          melody

          " But, WHY, is the Rum all gone?"

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8 12:39 AM
            >>Last time I contacted CheepTrims, about a week ago, they replied they
            only sell to the trade,you must have a business license to buy.Too bad.

            Ah, they're pretty loose about the definition. They don't want to mess
            w/ the minimum and in most cases you can find a friend... or say you're
            getting started.

            I haven't bought from them in the last year, but because min wasn't an
            issue with what I would order.... but I normally just hit the website.