Re: [F-Costume] OT: The Producers?

    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 30, 2008
      Going to re list the link cleanly. Remember to put spaces before and
      after links
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/F-Costume/photos/album/1292099986/pic/list
      http://www.matthewbroderick.net/image/movie/producers/producersaostcover01.jpg
      http://www.ladyofthecake.com/mel/prod2/primages.htm

      >>The white one looks like it's super stretchy, but I'm still not 100%
      sure if it's a wrap over a sleeveless leotard or a dress, my novice eye
      is having issues telling.

      Not totally sure either. It's some kind of a stretchy licra. The way
      she's leaning on the desk and the top is pulling down, it might be two
      pieces. I'm wondering if it's built on some kind of a structure??? But
      the small strap doesn't seem to have much under it. Then again, she's
      got quite a body If you're trying to do this, if you don't go the
      leotard method, definably put a shaper on under this and work the
      neckline around it (or build together). This is definitely something to
      start draping on a form and then have someone adjust it on you. This is
      NOT a flat pattern style dress.

      A stretch fabric like this is going to form around a wired bra or shaper
      really well. You need something without a lot of trim or texture so you
      can wrap the fabric around with just a slight stretch.

      On the other hand, you could make something "in the style of" with out
      getting so complex because there are ready mades with a mock wrap
      http://www.riversedgedancewear.com/mowrtale.html is a standard that
      would work. Warning... not for large cup sizes when dancing. (I was
      fine, my friend was NOT. It's either pulling weird, or there are escape
      plans)

      Not sure what other questions you had on those outfits. (Re-include the
      links when asking)

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 27, 2009
        --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Naresha <north_shore_fruitcake@...>
        wrote:

        > I've just watched the (2005) Mel Brook's film "The Producers" and
        have a sudden urge to get a costume together for Ulla!

        > I was specifically thinking of her white dress ...
        >
        > The white one seems to maybe be a short wrap skirt over a body suit
        but I'm not sure...

        Just watched the movie... and watched her dance and shake that outfit.
        Yes, two parts, with the skirt just being a simple over wrap.

        The skirt is tacked down, but that's the easy part.

        The leotard has a lot of built in structure. Underwire and the center
        is wired too. No side zipper. When she's dancing, from the side you
        can see there are extra layers in front.

        I love how much movement tells about a costume.

        -Cat-
      • Naresha
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 27, 2009
          AH! Thanks for that Cat!

          I thought that it was more likely a skirt over leotard, but you never get a really clear shot for long enough - at least for my untrained eye!  Was just never sure given moved as one - but being tacked down would explain that!  And I knew there would have to be a fair amount of structure up top, I doubt she'd be wearing an actual bra given the cut!

          Stay connected to the people that matter most with a smarter inbox. Take a look http://au.docs.yahoo.com/mail/smarterinbox

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 28, 2009
            >> I thought that it was more likely a skirt over leotard, but you
            never get a really clear shot for long enough - at least for my
            untrained eye!

            I watched the dance for a couple of times, how it and she moved.... and
            I used to wear a mock wrap when it was warm. (Once upon a time I danced
            a lot, think Flashdance.)

            >> Was just never sure given moved as one - but being tacked down would
            explain that!

            Getting it tacked right is a little complex because you really want a
            smooth line. You need to get a helper. With you wearing the outfit
            properly tied and positioned, chalk in quarter and eight points. Don't
            do it exactly front/back/sides. Do it at highest/lowest as your center
            point.

            If it was a production run, I'd say use snaps for better washing... but
            to see up close I'd just do separate hand tacks for each point.

            >>And I knew there would have to be a fair amount of structure up top,
            I doubt she'd be wearing an actual bra given the cut!

            Look at swim suits... heck, if you could find a swin suit with that
            neck, you could pick off the outer layer and attach the white. I
            haven't seen leotards like that because it's not quite secure without
            cross straps. However, I've seen swim suits that dip that low in back.
            There's a lot of understructure work on suits that look to almost be all
            front. Remember they went to Howard Huges, who was designing airplanes
            at that "point" (watch it, pun coming), to design those torpedo bras
            that "supported" the 50's stars.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 28, 2009
              (replying to my own message, with more comment)

              The basic mock rap leotard will handle up to a light B, no problem.
              That wrap is there to support... and it works well without anything
              else. B is questionable. "C" Nope. Need wires to handle that kind of
              dancing. If you watch her... no jiggle. So... it's another indicator
              of a LOT of structure there.

              Those straps look pretty hefty too... but I'm thinking that just elastic
              reinforcement on the edge... transferring pull from the front to that
              back scoop... but I don't think it's wired.

              -Cat-
            • Naresha
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 28, 2009
                > Getting it tacked right is a little complex because you really want a

                > smooth line. You need to get a helper. With you wearing the outfit

                > properly tied and positioned, chalk in quarter and eight points. Don't
                > do it exactly front/back/sides. Do it at highest/lowest as your center

                > point.

                AH, see, I don't ever make my costumes alone - just as I get used to the old chunky sewing machine, it breaks and I've not had a chance to get a lesson off Mum in how to use it! :P  Plus I'm still VERY much a novice...  *loves her Mum extra when it's costume time*

                > If it was a production run, I'd say use snaps for better washing... but
                > to see up close I'd just do separate hand tacks for each point.It's more for just "everyday" costume wear - to wear in character at a party or out playing games with friends etc.

                Now a VERY important question... What would you recommend as an easy method of making it "user friendly"  - everyone's got to go to the loo and skirts are hard enough to deal with! :PWhat are your thoughts on how the stockings are attaching?  They're obviously attached to suspenders but I know from experience that suspender belts aren't fantastic about leaving skirts with nice smooth lines!  I'd need to have a closer look, but I can't recall seeing any lines from suspenders.

                > Look at swim suits... heck, if you could find a swin suit with that

                > neck, you could pick off the outer layer and attach the white. I

                > haven't seen leotards like that because it's not quite secure without

                > cross straps. However, I've seen swim suits that dip that low in back.

                > There's a lot of understructure work on suits that look to almost be all

                > front.
                Swim suits... Leotards...  If it works, it works!  I know some dance stores here carry leotards with fancy necklines, but they're not common, I will admit.  I'll settle for something close if I see something pre-made that catches my eye, for the purpose I want this for, I'm not going to be as bigger stickler as I normally am for an absolute replica.  I'm after ease over similarity. (although the closer the better! ;P)

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 28, 2009
                  Ah, well I'm 32B so I'm not exactly top heavy!  (Would love to be in need of extra support!)

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 28, 2009
                    >> Now a VERY important question... What would you recommend as an easy
                    method of making it "user friendly" - everyone's got to go to the loo
                    and skirts are hard enough to deal with! :P

                    Good catch. Tacks are going to only work on hip skirts (which is where
                    I remember it from). Velcro won't work either up close. Looked at the
                    front again. You can definitely get away w/ snap or hooks in the front
                    hip closure. I guess you play with how many tacs you need in the
                    back/high point. Maybe just 3 there... and then the front hip. It's
                    going to have to peal all off. Just be careful of the 3 back points

                    >> What are your thoughts on how the stockings are attaching? They're
                    obviously attached to suspenders but I know from experience that
                    suspender belts aren't fantastic about leaving skirts with nice smooth
                    lines!

                    Ah... VERY expensive one don't show very much at all. They look more
                    like a partial slimmer. Think waist and half / 3/4 pant. Also
                    remember, this is under something probably build like/built on a swim
                    suit base. Heavy spandex, a couple layers of internlining...

                    Maybe someone who's got more experience in garter belts can help there.
                    All I can think about is soft elastic for the top. I've only seen them
                    once and wasn't paying attention to the details beyond the brag of no
                    lines, and the comment they'd spent wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to much on the belt.

                    >> Swim suits... Leotards... If it works, it works! I know some dance
                    stores here carry leotards with fancy necklines, but they're not common,
                    I will admit. I'll settle for something close if I see something
                    pre-made that catches my eye, for the purpose I want this for, I'm not
                    going to be as bigger stickler as I normally am for an absolute
                    replica. I'm after ease over similarity. (although the closer the
                    better! ;P)

                    Ya know... Here's a base you could build on...
                    http://www.danskin.com/tankleotard2200.html , The back is low enough.
                    The front isn't fancy enough. I think last time I found another link
                    with a front that was closer, but the back wasn't nearly so low. There
                    are other companies out there

                    Interestingly enough, check out http://www.danskin.com/skirt-2342.html
                    . It's not the exact fabric... but it's a stretch knit like the
                    leotard. It's going to stay in place without all the tacks. If you're
                    willing to compromise a bit, and use fabrics that work together, you
                    don't have to secure as much.

                    >>Ah, well I'm 32B so I'm not exactly top heavy! (Would love to be in
                    need of extra support!)

                    In dance, less is more. Do you really want to be dependent on
                    underwire??? I remember when we were looking at Queen of the Damned,
                    and I started seeing those underwires, and it looked like it was looked
                    around the neck for support. Yuck.

                    As a reminder for the rest. We're talking about this dress:
                    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000EWBKMG/sr=1-1/qid=1233136379/ref=dp_otherviews_0?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&img=0&qid=1233136379&sr=1-1

                    -Cat-
                  • Naresha
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 28, 2009
                      Thanks for the links, Cat!  Lots of nice stuff there, but I can't find anything in white... Hunting on google now.

                      What about the leotard and usability?  If the skirt's attached (which would make it easier to wear in general) even just at the back, it's a bit fussy to have to pull the whole thing off just to use the loo!

                      AH...  Would the garter belt have to be custom made or is that something one can actually get from somewhere?

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 28, 2009
                        >> Thanks for the links, Cat! Lots of nice stuff there, but I can't
                        find anything in white... Hunting on google now.

                        It all depends on what's in style. You still may have to make
                        something, but at least you'll get ideas.

                        >>What about the leotard and usability? If the skirt's attached (which
                        would make it easier to wear in general) even just at the back, it's a
                        bit fussy to have to pull the whole thing off just to use the loo!

                        Welcome to the world of dance! LOL. At a convention, it's not bad.
                        Think about a day doing dance exhibit at a park w/ those minimally
                        working door lock.

                        Uma might have even been stitched into the skirt given how clean it
                        lays. It doesn't quite look like one of those Lycra-silks, but it
                        doesn't seem to be. Might though. That stuff run about 30 a yard. If
                        you go for a simpler Lycra. The skirt might actually stay tied on if
                        they're both a fabric w/ a tad of grip. That would make it easier.
                        Take the skirt off, drap it over the door, then deal w/ the leotard.

                        Hey, maybe someone on the list has more details from Star Trek... didn't
                        it take something like an hour to get "7 of 9" into her outfit. She
                        went in it for the day.

                        Remember we're dealing w/ movie magic vs. comfort at a convention or
                        something that was worn in a Broadway show.

                        >> AH... Would the garter belt have to be custom made or is that
                        something one can actually get from somewhere?

                        From somewhere, but I haven't a clue. I just remember a friend of a
                        friend showing the thing off when we were doing fitting on something
                        else. Don't know if you could make something with that wide elastic
                        lace and then soft lace garter strips. Maybe in the morning someone
                        will have a clue. Remember, this list gets read on digest a lot.

                        Reminder to all, if someone finds a garter belt, seamless or mixed with
                        a shaper... please evaluate the site, and put an over 18 tag on the link
                        if needed. (Yea, I know that means they'll look anyway, but try, please.)