Halloween costume help

  • Meg
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 10, 2008
      Hello,
      I'm a fairly accomplished seamstress, though I must admit I've never
      tried fantasy costuming. I'm going to a nautically themed Halloween
      party this year, and it's occurred to me that I might do something
      totally unexpected. Rather than the usual wench getup I was thinking
      I might try to dress as a character from one of my favorite fantasy
      series, The Liveship books by Robin Hobb. The description of Malta
      Vestrit from the end of the trilogy really caught my imagination. By
      that point her contact with the last of the dragons has caused her to
      grow a scaled crest on her head and to begin showing reptilian scaling
      along her brows, cheekbones, and on her hands and arms.

      I have a perfect dress for her already made, but I was hoping that
      some more experienced fantasy costumers might have some ideas about
      how to create a scaled effect on my face and a crest that doesn't
      look, well, silly. I've never even attempted stage makeup before, so
      I haven't the faintest idea where to begin. Any advice would be
      greatly appreciated,
      Thanks,
      Meg
    • Pamela Sacui
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 10, 2008
        Have you designed/built the scaled crest yet?

        I would think that would be your starting point, just to get an idea of color and the shape of the scales.

        At that point, then, I would think your next step would be either affixing individually designed scales (labor intensive and, depending on the adhesive, potentially hive producing or worse) or painting  the scales.  Depending on your design, you  could go as detailed or impressionistic as you want.

        I always like to work with Ben Nye products because their colors and quality are excellent.  They also have a nice line of glittery face and body paints.

        You can download a catalog here:

        http://www.bennyemakeup.com/

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2008
          Meg wrote:
          > I have a perfect dress for her already made, but I was hoping that
          > some more experienced fantasy costumers might have some ideas about
          > how to create a scaled effect on my face and a crest that doesn't
          > look, well, silly. I've never even attempted stage makeup before, so
          > I haven't the faintest idea where to begin. Any advice would be
          > greatly appreciated,
          > Thanks,
          > Meg

          have you considered using press-on nails, overlapped, to give a 3-D
          scaly effect?

          for a crest, you have to work out some way of attaching a band curved
          lengthwise around your head that the crest can rise from. I've seen it
          done well, <http://www.costume-con.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=5313>
          but unfortunately the pic doesn't show it off great. What he did was to
          curve a metal band that fit along his head with a counterweight in front
          to hold it in place. Maybe that will give you some ideas? Depending how
          you brushyour hair, you might be able to hide the band with your hair
          and have the counter weight as something decorative.

          -Judy
        • Melody Watts
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 12, 2008
            Have you looked at art of Dragons?  They come in many different "species".Different examples of crests, large,small, boney, horned.......I personally would not "do" the nose to nape crest on a band,...too complicated-to much engineering for me.
            I'd do an ear to ear band,attaching the crest to it.
            As far as the scales on the skin, I'd look at paiette(sp), those thin shiny circular spangles you sew on dresses, come in all sizes and colors,light weight,should stick to skin with laytex , or eyelash glue.
            You can use the  size variation to do smaller on face by nose getting larger as you move up the face.
            You could make skin colored "sleeves" and attach the paiettes to them.
            hope this helps
            melody

            " But, WHY, is the Rum all gone?"