Embossing with Furnace Tape

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 23, 2008
      Found a great technique in Craft Stylish

      In the link the example is embossing little mint tins. However, this
      technique could be modified to make lots of SF details from buttons to
      metals, to accessories. While this is done on tin, I can see it also
      done on stiff cardboard or plastic... any flat or minimally curved surface.

      http://www.craftstylish.com/item/4976/how-to-emboss-a-metal-tin

      -Cat-
    • Neume
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 24, 2008
        This is the most appropriate place I could think to discuss the make up and costuming from the upcoming Twlight movie.As usual I'm in my last minute franic attempts to get ready for Dragoncon and am wanting to do a Twilight style vampire from the scene in the first book where they go out and are playing baseball. Thought it sounded comfy.;-) Has anyone else been playing around with doing "sparkly" vampire makeup?? My attempts have been using a theatrical style cream makeup called Fairest and using the Mary Kay gold sparkley powder over it that a friend gave me. It gives a nice shimmer but not a huge sparkle. So I've been playing with using a opal silverly glitter gel. Its still kinda subtle.Not sure if I should add the white powder from Hot Topic underneath it too. Or is there a limit to how much powder one can wear before becoming "cakey". ;-)I think lips are supposed to be dark rosey pink or a subtle red from the pics I could see online.Its a little
        hard to find amber coloured contacts but I did find some at vampfangs dot com. Never worn contacts before so this might be an adventure.  Sooo thats where I am. Had wondered if anyone else had been playing with this too. Also wondered if anyone had figured out where to get any of the dresses or accessories that will be seen in the upcoming movie. Haven't heard anything about that yet. Thanks,Neume

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 24, 2008
          Neume wrote:

          > This is the most appropriate place I could think to discuss the make up and costuming from the upcoming Twlight movie.As usual I'm in my last minute franic attempts to get ready for Dragoncon and am wanting to do a Twilight style vampire from the scene in the first book where they go out and are playing baseball. Thought it sounded comfy.;-) Has anyone else been playing around with doing "sparkly" vampire makeup?? My attempts have been using a theatrical style cream makeup called Fairest and using the Mary Kay gold sparkley powder over it that a friend gave me. It gives a nice shimmer but not a huge sparkle. So I've been playing with using a opal silverly glitter gel. Its still kinda subtle.Not sure if I should add the white powder from Hot Topic underneath it too. Or is there a limit to how much powder one can wear before becoming "cakey". ;-)I think lips are supposed to be dark rosey pink or a subtle red from the pics I could see online.Its a little
          > hard to find amber coloured contacts but I did find some at vampfangs dot com. Never worn contacts before so this might be an adventure. Sooo thats where I am. Had wondered if anyone else had been playing with this too. Also wondered if anyone had figured out where to get any of the dresses or accessories that will be seen in the upcoming movie. Haven't heard anything about that yet. Thanks,Neume

          would a very very light touch of Clown White in your foundation be too
          strong? You could use it only in certain areas. But that would avoid
          having too much powder since you can get Clown White in cream.

          -Judy
        • Neume
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 24, 2008
            Judy I'll look into the clown white. (funny clowns scare me but vampires don't) ;-)

            Thanks!
            Neume

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 24, 2008
              >> This is the most appropriate place I could think to discuss the make
              up and costuming from the upcoming Twilight movie.

              Yea, vampires are totally acceptable.

              Reminder, especially when you're the first post on a new movie...
              links... else folks may not answer just because they can't click and see
              pics immediately.

              Official site: http://www.twilightthemovie.com/
              Only other pics I could find quickly:
              http://www.comingsoon.net/imageGallery/Twilight
              I'm sure there are others, but you'll need to share.

              >> wanting to do a Twilight style vampire ... "sparkly" vampire
              makeup?? My attempts have been using a theatrical style cream makeup
              called Fairest and using the Mary Kay gold sparkley powder over it that
              a friend gave me. It gives a nice shimmer but not a huge sparkle.

              http://www.comingsoon.net/imageGallery/Twilight/Twilight_1.jpg - I'm
              guessing all but the front girl are vamps
              But, ohhhh, watch out.... the lips least has been toned down on the guys
              for the posters. (Shock! Can't have the guys looking like they're
              wearing lipstick. <G>But to pull the red out of the lips, they're also
              pulling out the red in the face.) This looks more like it, but again
              the makeup has been played with: http://www.twilightthemovie.com/ (left
              picture, right has been leached of color)

              In none of these pics am I seeing sparky... I'm seeing glow. I've
              always been a big fan of subtle vampire. (Ask some folks that have seen
              me at past WorldCon where I take the time to subtly ramp up the vamp in
              the afternoon to creepy. Underplay is fun.)

              First step depends on how much tan you have on your face. If you're
              pale, sometimes you can skip. I don't know the color of MK's
              "Fairest". In regular makeup go for the palest foundation in the
              Red/Blue range. In theatrical, don't go to white, check out their
              porcelain colors. Those are normally non-real colors that suck out most
              other colors (and you paint on top of them). Else, mix up a bit of the
              palest foundations (in red/blue) with the white. The trick is to get
              rid of all the tan "the oranges and browns"

              Also, test in advance if you're mixing multiple brands. A grease paint
              won't work with a "greaseless" foundation. When you mix colors... a
              little white will go a VERY long way. Test, test test.... and remember
              the color powered down on the face looks different when wet.

              Apply foundation all the way into your hair line, and ears (or at least
              power them if they're covered and you're not doing too much whiter)...
              and don't forget the neck. Technically you should foundational all
              showing skin. I "cheat" by putting foundation on about half way down
              and use a slightly damp sponge to dilute the foundation, but do power
              all the way down.

              Remember you will still need to add highlights and shadows... BUT stay
              away from adding "color" .
              http://www.comingsoon.net/imageGallery/Twilight/large/hr_Twilight_3.jpg
              Here they are subtracting. They're leaving the cheeks white, but
              there's a heavily blended under cheek streak of brown. Check out her
              chin and above and below her lips too. In general Vampires have less
              facial definition.

              NOTE the EYES... They are heavily lined in a VERY dark brown and the
              eyebrows are VERY full and heavy (and shaped). The inside of the eye
              well is shaded as is close up UNDER the eye (dark shadows removed though
              for these vampires).

              Boys have almost the same eyes:
              http://www.comingsoon.net/imageGallery/Twilight/Twilight_1.jpg ....
              though I'm seeing a bit more red than brown under the eyes. Blend like
              crazy. Looking closer, the "evil" guys also have under eye shadows
              added in brown.

              The eyes often "make" the vampire. It gives them that unearthly gaze.
              Try to blink less... make lots of eye contact (power) and let your eyes
              "calculating" drift down to their judger and then flick back to their
              eyes again. Unnerves the heck out of folks.

              >> So I've been playing with using a opal silverly glitter gel. Its
              still kinda subtle.Not sure if I should add the white powder from Hot
              Topic underneath it too. Or is there a limit to how much powder one can
              wear before becoming "cakey". ;-)

              The trick w/ power is to put it on right after you've you're done with
              your face. Apply heavily with a PUFF , not brushing things off. Sit w/
              your eyes closed... a few minutes at least, 5 if you can manage
              patience. Then take a big soft BRUSH and lightly stroke off the extra
              power moving from center of the face outward. The waiting time sucks
              up the oils and creams and sets the base. You brush off the extra. By
              doing it slowly and smoothly you get the extra out of the cracks on your
              face and get a very nice look.

              As to what to brush on your face... the least expensive is to mix up
              your own w/ a bit of baby power and a light translucent power (which has
              some sparkle build in). If you've got a budget, use something like
              this:
              http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/gp/product/B0011UL0HU/sr=1-8/qid=1219610786/ref=sr_1_8/002-6093078-6893659?ie=UTF8&n=164994011&bcBrand=core
              (or search for Benefit Cosmetics, lust duster). They have a white power
              glitter.

              Don't:
              - Don't mix in a body glitter on the face, it's sharp glitter and not
              good to use near the eye.
              - Don't apply "layers" of powder, mix your color. The upper layers
              won't bond to your base and/or skin. However, you can re-powder again
              later, but brush again.

              A lot of the glow can really just come from the paleness of the base,
              and any reflective in the powder.

              >>I think lips are supposed to be dark rosey pink or a subtle red from
              the pics I could see online.

              Look for lipstick in the red/blue range. Try to find a description of
              "raisin". Carry it with you all night and keep repatching. Also get
              either a raisin lip pencil or get one of those modern long lasting
              stain/gloss mixes. Color your lips completely before applying the
              gloss. (Practice this a lot. First time or two you're going to get the
              wrong shape and that stuff stains.)

              >> Its a little
              hard to find amber coloured contacts but I did find some at vampfangs
              dot com. Never worn contacts before so this might be an adventure. Sooo
              thats where I am. Had wondered if anyone else had been playing with this
              too.

              Also check out the links at the end of this page:
              http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Buyit/ElvenEyes.htm

              Remember that even if you don't wear glasses, you still need a
              prescription for vampire eyes, or contacts of any kind.... you can mess
              your eyes up if you shortcut and get generics.

              Also, wear the contacts in advance to build up your tolerance. You WILL
              want sunglasses or at least tinted shades when you go out because if
              you're not used to blinking, outside will dry your eyes faster.

              Carry liner around with you at the con to touch up, and klenix to blot
              instead of rub.

              On teeth, practice talking in advance. You need to annunciate
              carefully. There's a reason that vampires sound a bit different,
              there's all the gunk in their mouths. With most teeth you may not be
              able to eat, or even drink. Know if you need to bring a straw, and
              practice. I can chew soft thinks like cheese and crackers by munching
              using my front teeth carefully.

              Enjoy your vampire makeup!

              Remember to practice. Subtle makeup, whether vampire makeup or beauty
              makeup takes longer than old age makeup ... and in this case, the girls
              are both... and the guy have almost as much makeup. Blend!!!

              >>Also wondered if anyone had figured out where to get any of the
              dresses or accessories that will be seen in the upcoming movie.

              A few pieces might be made, but it looks "shopped" from the few pics we
              have. Again, a photo would help. Try any fan sites for the movie...
              they'll have the buzz. BTW, if one piece is found from a certain
              shop, a lot more may come from there or around. Example: if the
              costume designer shops a famous place on Melrose Ave... a lot of the
              other stuff might come from the surrounding stores as well.

              -Cat-
            • bleupirate@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 24, 2008
                If you want some awesome sparkly eye make up, check out fyrinnae.com!? They're AWESOME!!!

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 25, 2008
                  I haven't seen the photos for the movie, but take a look at the
                  Vampfangs website, they have white creme powder & prssed powder that
                  works wet or dry.

                  Silvara

                  --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Neume <sailingwest111@...> wrote:

                  > Judy I'll look into the clown white. (funny clowns scare me but
                  vampires don't) ;-)

                  > Thanks!
                  > Neume
                  >
                  >  would a very very light touch of Clown White in your foundation be
                  too
                  > strong? You could use it only in certain areas. But that would
                  avoid
                  > having too much powder since you can get Clown White in cream.
                  >
                  > -Judy

                • Neume
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 25, 2008
                    Thanks Silvara,
                    I looked at that but never tried that kind of makeup. Guess it just takes a lot of experimenting and stuff. :-)
                    Neume

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 25, 2008
                      I used white Mehron creme blend stage makeup for my Army of the Dead
                      soldier, they have a white setting powder as well and it lasted thru
                      last years DC parade in very hot humid weather etc., one thing I found
                      was that it was easier to have someone else apply it then try to do it
                      yourself even though I'm fine with applying everyday makeup...
                      --
                      Jules
                    • silvaragreenleaf
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 26, 2008
                        If you are looking for the sparkle, the luxe powders from Ben Nye luxe powders are great, you might want to try the white powder they have, it works great for just a touch of pale.