Some input on costume construction please? :)

  • Avril Novelich
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 16, 2008
      Hi everyone,

      I rarely post but I like to lurk (sad I know).

      I'm making a Snow White costume and wanted to ask everyone, or at
      least
      those who'll respond, for some input. I just want different views on
      how to go about a couple of things.

      What would be the best petticoat style to go under the skirt? not
      anything that'll make it hugely poof but to give it some body. I want it
      to basically remain an a-line like the drawing, where it gets somewhat
      fuller towards the bottom. It's
      going on a very petite lady don't want her overwhelmed. Also what
      would
      be the best fabric to use? Her skirt is going to be made of a dull
      satin lined with a poly lining. Nothing too expensive please we're on
      budget :)

      Also as far as the collar goes: will buckrham work fine as a inner
      lining or
      should I use something sturdier? And to attach it to the bodice
      neckline it'll be attached how? something that won't be too
      noticeable
      if the cape shifts a bit...

      Like I said before, I have a few ideas, but I want to pick other
      brains
      for different approaches. :)

      Thanks everyone!

      Avril

      oh and some links:

      http://www.americanprinthouse.com/images/Dancing-Snow-White
      <http://www.americanprinthouse.com/images/Dancing-Snow-White(600x600).jp\
      g> (600x600).jpg

      http://www.fluidentertainment.com/product_files/princess_snow_white.gi
      <http://www.fluidentertainment.com/product_files/princess_snow_white.gif\

      http://www.dellorcoart.com/portfolio/animation/images/snow_white.jpg
      <http://www.dellorcoart.com/portfolio/animation/images/snow_white.jpg>

    • Leah L Watts
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 17, 2008
        > I'm making a Snow White costume and wanted to ask everyone, or at
        > least
        > those who'll respond, for some input. I just want different views
        > on
        > how to go about a couple of things.
        >
        > What would be the best petticoat style to go under the skirt? not
        > anything that'll make it hugely poof but to give it some body. I
        > want it
        > to basically remain an a-line like the drawing, where it gets
        > somewhat
        > fuller towards the bottom.

        When I made my Elizabethan kirtle, the pattern (Margo Anderson's) called
        for lining the lower hem with canvas. I used some cream denim I snagged
        at a dollar-a-yard sale, and it holds the bottom of the dress out nicely.
        I've never had much luck with fusible interfacing, but if you have I
        would think a nice heavy fusible would also work.

        Take your pattern pieces, and trace off the bottom foot or so of all the
        skirt pieces. Use those tracings to cut your stiffener, and sew/fuse to
        the inside of the skirt fabric.

        My kirtle was flatlined, so I could sew the top edge of the stiffener to
        the lining and the seam wouldn't show on the outside. For an unlined
        skirt, you'd probably need to hand sew the top edge or use a
        blindstitcher.

        Leah
        Click for quotes on adjustable mortgages.
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3mIldtPKl1wSdVuGApRBA5i24zQ3bv1mBqw0b9YnZB4715jh/
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 18, 2008
          >> What would be the best petticoat style to go under the skirt? not
          anything that'll make it hugely poof but to give it some body. I want it
          to basically remain an a-line like the drawing, where it gets somewhat
          fuller towards the bottom. It's going on a very petite lady don't want
          her overwhelmed. Also what
          would be the best fabric to use? Her skirt is going to be made of a dull
          satin lined with a poly lining. Nothing too expensive please we're on
          a budget :)

          Since you're on a budget, I'd try checking thrift shops for an A-line
          bridal petticoat. You can always hack off the bottom and add a bit of
          trim at the bottom.

          From the description of the fabrics, the suggestion of the canvas/denim
          might be too heavy. Another thing you can do is add horse hair braid to
          the hem to give it a bit of poof on it's on. get the 3" wide stuff...
          (and the new stuff is really just plastic). It will shape to any curved
          hem.

          If you make a petticoat from you're best bet is to probably put a layer
          of gathered tulle between two layers of lining material.

          The tulle can be gathered in 3 tiers, no more than a 2:1 gather so you
          don't get a lot of poof. The inner and outer layer can be the same
          A-line as a the skirt and you can add a row of eyelet lace to the top,
          slightly longer, layer.

          >> Also as far as the collar goes: will buckram work fine as a inner
          lining or should I use something sturdier?

          There are different weights of buckram. Crown buckram which is kinda
          like 3 layers sandwiched would be fine. A single weight probably
          wouldn't be. A few layers of craft weight interfacing would also work.
          You should wire the edges.

          >> And to attach it to the bodice neckline it'll be attached how?
          something that won't be too
          noticeable if the cape shifts a bit...

          The wiring should expend into the shoulder area, front and back. OR,
          check out http://www.farthingales.on.ca/elizabethan_wired_ruff.html for
          a wired ruff w/ some pictures to give you another idea.

          -Cat-
        • darth_eagle
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 18, 2008
            "Avril Novelich" <gelflinggal@...> wrote:
            > I'm making a Snow White costume and wanted to ask everyone, or at
            > least
            > those who'll respond, for some input. I just want different views on
            > how to go about a couple of things.

            You could also try asking at the Disney Costuming Forum. ;-)

            http://www.yarwood.org/disney/

            > Also as far as the collar goes: will buckrham work fine as a inner
            > lining or
            > should I use something sturdier? And to attach it to the bodice
            > neckline it'll be attached how? something that won't be too
            > noticeable if the cape shifts a bit...

            How about trying making it removable? Attached to the collar using
            several Press Studs/Snaps placed behind the collar to allow the dress
            to have a back zip.

            Fatimah
          • Avril Novelich
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 18, 2008
              Thank you so very much everyone! all great suggestions and very doable-THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

              Avril :)

              "If we shadows have offended/Think but this,and all is mended/That you have but slumb'red here/While these visions did appear./And this weak and idle theme,/No more but a dream,/Gentles, do not reprend./If you pardon,we will mend."-Puck from "A Midsummer Night's Dream"

              "The Ladies yield/and the ships go down!/ or is it the other way around?" The Pirate King from The Pirate Movie

              Long ago when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks, it was called witchcraft...Today, it's called golf.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 18, 2008
                >> How about trying making it removable? Attached to the collar using
                several Press Studs/Snaps placed behind the collar to allow the dress
                to have a back zip.

                Yes, I agree it should be removable. Especially if it's made of
                buckram, since you can't wash that.

                You can have channels in the dress for the wire, just narrow bias
                binding would work.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 18, 2008
                  Avril Novelich wrote:

                  > What would be the best petticoat style to go under the skirt? not
                  > anything that'll make it hugely poof but to give it some body. I want it
                  > to basically remain an a-line like the drawing, where it gets somewhat
                  > fuller towards the bottom. It's
                  > going on a very petite lady don't want her overwhelmed. Also what
                  > would
                  > be the best fabric to use? Her skirt is going to be made of a dull
                  > satin lined with a poly lining. Nothing too expensive please we're on
                  > budget :)

                  another method you can do is to put in a ring or two of cording. If you
                  have anything like a heavy-duty hemp twine around (like for cording
                  chairs weight. Hey, you never know what people have around!), you can
                  run a casing and a line of cording around the hem, and even at knee
                  level so that it keeps a little bit of the straight A-line shape. It's
                  not as severe as hoops, it's washable, it's cheap.

                  -Judy
                • Avril Novelich