Willie Scott's red and gold dress from The Temple of Doom

  • Karyl
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 15, 2008
      Where can I get a pattern for the red and gold sequined dress that Kate
      Capshaw wore as Willie Scott in The Temple of Doom?

      That is one kicking dress! And I want to make a copy of it!
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 15, 2008
        >> Where can I get a pattern for the red and gold sequined dress that Kate
        Capshaw wore as Willie Scott in The Temple of Doom?
        >> That is one kicking dress! And I want to make a copy of it!

        Your best bet for getting help is to post some links to pictures

        -Cat-
      • Cynthia Bowker
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 16, 2008
          I'm looking for some sheer blue fabric, but I haven't been able to
          locate any in my local fabric stores. It needs to look something like
          the outer dress in this picture:

          http://bp1.blogger.com/_88p1dS4FR_0/RgvtyWejLeI/AAAAAAAAABM/L6UciK85Ih0/s1600-h/serenity.jpg

          I don't expect to get exactly that style or pattern; solid blue would be
          fine, but it needs to be sheer and I'd like for it to not be too stiff.
          I'd rather not buy it online, because I'd like to fondle it before I buy
          it :) I also don't want to drive two hours to the nearest SuperJoann's,
          but I might have to.

          So I guess my question is this: do any of you know what that type of
          fabric is called, so I can call around to some fabric stores and ask if
          they carry it, rather than driving all over creation? Thanks!

          Cynthia
        • Naresha
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 16, 2008
            Looks like it could be a printed chiffon.  Although it looks like it could be a bit heavier than chiffon but I don't know what that sort of fabric is called.

            --- On Mon, 16/6/08, Cynthia Bowker <cbowker@...> wrote:

            I'm looking for some sheer blue fabric, but I haven't been able to
            locate any in my local fabric stores. It needs to look something like
            the outer dress in this picture:

            http://bp1.blogger com/_88p1dS4FR_ 0/RgvtyWejLeI/ AAAAAAAAABM/ L6UciK85Ih0/ s1600-h/serenity .jpg

            I don't expect to get exactly that style or pattern; solid blue would be
            fine, but it needs to be sheer and I'd like for it to not be too stiff.
            I'd rather not buy it online, because I'd like to fondle it before I buy
            it :) I also don't want to drive two hours to the nearest SuperJoann's,
            but I might have to.

            So I guess my question is this: do any of you know what that type of
            fabric is called, so I can call around to some fabric stores and ask if
            they carry it, rather than driving all over creation? Thanks!

            Cynthia
            .

            www.yahoo7.com.au/mail

          • Sarah
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 16, 2008
              Looks like chiffon to me too. Georgette is less see-through.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 16, 2008
                >> Looks like chiffon to me too. Georgette is less see-through.

                If you're talking to the JoAnns folks, they're not going to understand
                "georgette" away since they're more interested in hiring clerks than
                knowledgeable folks.

                It's a shear polly, a bit shearer than the standard polly-chiffon but I
                don't think too much shear. It's actually a cheaper fabric... but not
                normally seen in regular fabric stores.

                Downtown LA, and places like that might have some left over. Those shear
                overdresses were selling 3 for $10 for a while in LA after their main
                popularity went away. There are still bolt ends of that type of fabric
                around.

                As for the pattern on the fabric, that's a machine kinda tie dye. You
                won't get the same effect, but you could add some variegation on your
                own w/ a black liquid dye.
              • darth_eagle
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 17, 2008
                  Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote:
                  > If you're talking to the JoAnns folks, they're not going to
                  understand
                  > "georgette" away since they're more interested in hiring clerks
                  than
                  > knowledgeable folks.
                  >
                  > It's a shear polly, a bit shearer than the standard polly-chiffon
                  but I
                  > don't think too much shear. It's actually a cheaper fabric... but
                  not
                  > normally seen in regular fabric stores.

                  Hmmmm....Double Georgette seems to be something I can find as easily
                  as (Polyester) Chiffon here in Singapore. Didn't realized that
                  Georgette actually existed. :-P

                  As for the fabric required, I thot I saw something similar (printed
                  Chiffon or Double Georgette....can't remember which) before in
                  Singapore Spotlight's Catalog but it could had been months or even
                  years ago ones as was cleaning up my stuffs recently. :-\

                  Fatimah
                • Chris West
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 18, 2008
                    --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...>
                    wrote:

                    > >> Where can I get a pattern for the red and gold sequined dress
                    that Kate
                    > Capshaw wore as Willie Scott in The Temple of Doom?
                    > >> That is one kicking dress! And I want to make a copy of it!
                    >
                    > Your best bet for getting help is to post some links to pictures
                    >
                    > -Cat-

                    hello there, glad to see another indy fan here
                    try these pics
                    http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php?
                    ImageUrl=http://www.theraider.net/films/todoom/gallery/makingof/mo_56.
                    jpg

                    http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php?
                    ImageUrl=http://www.theraider.net/films/todoom/gallery/screens/t58.jpg

                    http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php?
                    ImageUrl=http://www.theraider.net/films/todoom/gallery/dvdscreenshots/
                    003.jpg

                    http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php?
                    ImageUrl=http://www.theraider.net/films/todoom/gallery/dvdscreenshots/
                    047.jpg

                    here is my temple of doom costume
                    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/Jerrico/Drew-Struzan-Art-
                    Style.jpg

                    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/Jerrico/Temple-Battle-shirt.jpg

                    hope those links become useful for you
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 18, 2008
                      > >> Where can I get a pattern for the red and gold sequined dress
                      that Kate Capshaw wore as Willie Scott in The Temple of Doom?

                      http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php?ImageUrl=http://www.theraider.net/films/todoom/gallery/dvdscreenshots/003.jpg

                      It's still hard to tell everything on that dress... and it will somewhat
                      depend on how heavily beaded a fabric you're going to use on the
                      dress... and HOW close you want to get... and what kind of budget.
                      That dress has a fortune in fabrics in it.

                      For a quick first answer (since I have to run out for a while).. . Break
                      the dress down. Since we've only got a couple images... I'm not sure
                      we're looking at two parts for the dress or 3... but it almost looks
                      like the bottom part make 3 fabrics. Remember how we talk about
                      breaking a costume down by description and parts... same here

                      I'm just hitting the basics...
                      - The dress itself is a a-line, with that kind of fit, most times it's
                      going to be banana darts.
                      - The top has a wrap across piece, that looks like it might be false, or
                      might be an opening. (???Does it zip on the side????), but for now,
                      lets just look at pattern options.

                      Look at Simplicity 3705
                      http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=3705 OK, it's just
                      unfitted scrubs, but you've got the colar, basic neck and two piece
                      top. (I've no clue how Willie's dress looks in back.) But even if you
                      use the pattern for nothing else... you've got those pieces.

                      Look at Simplicty 2864
                      http://www.simplicity.com/designFrame.cfm?dvPage=designFrontBack.cfm&design=2864
                      (yup, another of Andrea's designs)
                      I like this one because it doesn't have the banana darts in front, just
                      the back... that means you play on the side for a tighter fit. It
                      gives you the sleeve, the a-line shape (maybe you narrow it a bit at the
                      hem)

                      Between those two patterns you have the basics of the dress pattern, and
                      the lining layer.

                      Now, basic pattern shape out of the way... what I think I'm seeing in
                      the full length cap is that there may have been a fancy piece of wiggly
                      stripe beaded fabric drapped over on shoulder. It's not really wide and
                      another beaded fabric has been attached at an angle to finish the gown.
                      (see why I'm glad there's not a banana dart in front on that pattern,
                      though if you're big busted, you're going to have to dart to shape.)
                      Really do need more pics to know if what I'm seeing is an artifact of
                      the light shinning on the bottom 3rd of the skirt, or if it really is a
                      separate piece.

                      So, to match the same shapes.... you can take and draw a line across
                      your skirt area pattern pieces and that separates the two fabrics
                      (remember to add seam allowances onto both pieces). The middle piece
                      will be on the bias w/ a salvage edge, the bottom piece will just be
                      laid out normally. Does that make sense w/o pictures????

                      Other , more complex note, that means the back is probably doing the
                      same thing... so even using the scrubs pattern you've going to have to
                      draw a line on the top's back that's parallel w/ the skirt line to have
                      the shoulder piece be two fabrics also.

                      Real quick notes on the "beading"... this is 3(?) heavily beaded and
                      sequined fabrics and a beaded trim. When it's that heavy, darting needs
                      the bead/sequins removed in the darks and seams to do it properly. If
                      you clip them off, you need to hand stitch down the beads on the edge of
                      removal and you can use the glitter bits you've taken off the seam/dart
                      area to sew over the seaming and hide it. So, you're tacking down the
                      edge beads/sequins while filling/hiding the seam all in one step.

                      -Cat-
                      (hoping I didn't summarize too much, ask more questions)
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 18, 2008
                        I'm back, and staring at the photos a little more.

                        http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php?ImageUrl=http://www.theraider.net/films/todoom/gallery/makingof/mo_56.jpg

                        I don't see a 3rd fabric at the bottom, I don't think, but then again,
                        the fabric is folded right where I'd expect the other part. Maybe they
                        did find a fabric with a bias stripe. In which case, the costume
                        pattern is just the easiest to follow and you don't have to do anything
                        on the bottom.

                        Yea, we so need more caps to answer all the questions.

                        Doing a cap: hit the print screen button on your computer and paste
                        that image into any photo image program. (You'll have a free one on
                        your computer somewhere.) You can then trim it down to just the screen
                        image and save it with a unique file name.

                        If you've got something like Power DVD (that comes w/ some fancier DVDs)
                        , it has a capping option built in w/ it's viewer. The are free
                        programs on the internet. I just use Power DVD.

                        -Cat-
                      • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 18, 2008
                          At 05:15 PM 6/18/2008, you wrote:

                          >that Kate Capshaw wore as Willie Scott in The Temple of Doom?
                          > >>
                          ><http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php?ImageUrl=http://www.theraider.net/films/todoom/gallery/dvdscreenshots/003.jpg>http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php?ImageUrl=http://www.theraider.net/films/todoom/gallery/dvdscreenshots/003.jpg
                          >
                          >It's still hard to tell everything on that dress... and it will somewhat
                          >depend on how heavily beaded a fabric you're going to use on the
                          >dress... and HOW close you want to get... and what kind of budget.
                          >That dress has a fortune in fabrics in it.

                          Been watching this waaaay to much over the last couple of weeks - at
                          least 3 times. Cable has been running Indy marathons and there's not
                          much else to watch.
                          To me the fabric looks like sequins and beads - not just beads. Just
                          beads wouldn't sparkle that much.

                          >I'm just hitting the basics...
                          >- The dress itself is a a-line, with that kind of fit, most times it's
                          >going to be banana darts.
                          >- The top has a wrap across piece, that looks like it might be false, or
                          >might be an opening. (???Does it zip on the side????), but for now,
                          >lets just look at pattern options.

                          I'd say it fastens in the back - at the neck - since most of the back
                          is open. I could see the top just being 2 different fabrics, with a
                          trim covering the join. The same trim goes around the collar, down
                          the left shoulder and sleeve, and around the sleeve hems. Looks kind
                          of like a very fancy sari trim. The shoulders are very square and padded.

                          >Look at Simplicity 3705
                          ><http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=3705>http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=3705
                          >OK, it's just
                          >unfitted scrubs, but you've got the colar, basic neck and two piece
                          >top. (I've no clue how Willie's dress looks in back.) But even if you
                          >use the pattern for nothing else... you've got those pieces.

                          The back isn't - it's cut out from mid-shoulder blade to below the
                          waist. Entirely open.

                          >Look at Simplicty 2864
                          ><http://www.simplicity.com/designFrame.cfm?dvPage=designFrontBack.cfm&design=2864>http://www.simplicity.com/designFrame.cfm?dvPage=designFrontBack.cfm&design=2864
                          >
                          >(yup, another of Andrea's designs)
                          >I like this one because it doesn't have the banana darts in front, just
                          >the back... that means you play on the side for a tighter fit. It
                          >gives you the sleeve, the a-line shape (maybe you narrow it a bit at the
                          >hem)
                          >
                          >Between those two patterns you have the basics of the dress pattern, and
                          >the lining layer.
                          >
                          >Now, basic pattern shape out of the way... what I think I'm seeing in
                          >the full length cap is that there may have been a fancy piece of wiggly
                          >stripe beaded fabric drapped over on shoulder. It's not really wide and
                          >another beaded fabric has been attached at an angle to finish the gown.
                          >(see why I'm glad there's not a banana dart in front on that pattern,
                          >though if you're big busted, you're going to have to dart to shape.)
                          >Really do need more pics to know if what I'm seeing is an artifact of
                          >the light shinning on the bottom 3rd of the skirt, or if it really is a
                          >separate piece.

                          I don't see any separate pieces - the dress looks like one piece from
                          shoulder to hem - not even any horizontal seams. It also looks like
                          bias cut - especially the lower half - which would fit the
                          period. Don't forget the gloves with cuffs!

                          >So, to match the same shapes.... you can take and draw a line across
                          >your skirt area pattern pieces and that separates the two fabrics
                          >(remember to add seam allowances onto both pieces). The middle piece
                          >will be on the bias w/ a salvage edge, the bottom piece will just be
                          >laid out normally. Does that make sense w/o pictures????
                          >
                          >Other , more complex note, that means the back is probably doing the
                          >same thing... so even using the scrubs pattern you've going to have to
                          >draw a line on the top's back that's parallel w/ the skirt line to have
                          >the shoulder piece be two fabrics also.
                          >
                          >-Cat-
                          >(hoping I didn't summarize too much, ask more questions)

                          "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                          Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                          Why They Are Simply Doomed.

                          Achemdro'hm
                          "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
                          -- C.Y. 4971

                          Andromeda
                        • Cynthia Bowker
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
                            Thanks to all for the advice on what type of sheer blue fabric to use
                            for a dress I'm making. I found exactly what I need at Joann's.

                            I'd like to show off my first two creations. I just started sewing a
                            few months ago, and I've managed to knock out a robe and a dress. I
                            also just bought an adjustable dress form on ebay, and I had fun playing
                            with it last night :)

                            http://plaza.ufl.edu/cbowker/Misc/Other/photos/Costumes2.html

                            Cynthia
                          • CHRIS WEST
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 25, 2008
                              currently a close female friend of mine is planning on doing Marion Ravenwood for the next memorabilia in november, so she does not require the willie scott dress at the time being.
                              even though i said to her that she would make a fantastic Spalko as she looks similar to Cate Blanchette, I did have a plan of building a prototype spalko weapon belt (as im a leathersmith you see!) and thats my speciality.

                              but she has decided to go with marion instead and will be doing the classic indy costume for the time being. I only did my battle torn costume in the summer because we had lovely hot weather for it and it's less bulky without the jacket which can get quite hot at a convention, plus i love piling on the scars and fake blood as well :)

                              i can help with anyone wanting leather accessories such as gun holsters, sword scabbards, weapon belts, armour, classic Jedi belts, lara croft gun rigs... the list goes on

                              Admin note: But ONLY with advice, certainly not with sales as we have a very strict rule on that. <G>

                              [portions of this post have been edited to keep within the rules of the list. please do not leave in posts that break our rule of "no buy/no sell")