Permanent blood stains (wanted)

  • Amanda
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 4, 2008
      Hello,

      Can someone please suggest a way to put permanent blood stains on
      fabric? I know how to make fake blood, but I'm concerned its going to
      come off on the furniture. I found zombie blood all over my house for
      about a week after my Zombie Prom. So perhaps something like acrylic
      paint would be better...?

      Also, a good way of applying the stains to the fabric would be
      appreciated.

      Just white cotton interior dec fabric. Here's a reference if interested:
      http://www.game-ost.ru/covers/num/657036_1060-2_front.jpg

      Thank you so much! This group is always so amazingly helpful!
      ~ Amanda

      http://www.myspace.com/firenz
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4, 2008
        Can someone please suggest a way to put permanent blood stains on
        fabric? ... So perhaps something like acrylic
        paint would be better...?

        You've got it. Mix paints with fabric medium so that it doesn't just
        sit on the surface.

        To make it look wetter, add some high gloss medium. Look for a more
        flexible one because glosses have a tendency to be stiffer. (Maybe only
        use the gloss mixture in places that you don't need as much flex.) You
        may also want darker dried blood if your zombie has been working at it
        for a while.

        As always... test.

        >>Also, a good way of applying the stains to the fabric would be
        appreciated.

        See above... brown paints and fabric medium are good for mud. Water
        down so you can splatter. Mud colors vary. If they've been crashing
        though building, plaster streaks.

        Ask yourself what the zombie has been doing... and then come up with the
        colors and if it would streak or splatter or glob, etc.

        -Cat-
      • Naresha
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008
          I asked a similar thing not so long ago, Amanda!

          I used red fabric paint (and normal acrylic paint, PS never use the cheap stuff! was scrubbing my nails for a week!) in a left over half bottle of fabric medium and a LOT of water plus a little blue food dye as everyone here recommended to make it a little less tomatoey but I was going for the fake blood look anyway...

          What I ended up doing was mixing my left over red fabric paint with a lot of water and some fabric medium in a spare take-away food container (one of the larger round ones) and adding some blue food dye. Managed to add more food dye than I needed and got purple blood but added two thirds of a tube of red acrylic paint from my craft store and that got an acceptable colour. I ended up with quite a bit of "blood" but I was doing three mens shirts so that didn't matter too much.

          As for applying it, I used a couple of different methods. After lining the floor and partway up the walls of my shower with garbage bags, I spread the shirts on the floor one at a time and went for it! For the bulk of it, I used the left over bottle from the fabric medium (it was only a small 6omL bottle) and filled it with the paint mixture, put the lid back on and just squirted it or used it to make drops. It gave me nice puddles and droplets of blood and then I used a left over little spray bottle (one of the ones you get in packs of empty "travel" sized bottles that you can get a drugstore or $2 store.) to mist over other parts of it.

          It was a bit tricky 'cause big shirts don't work so easily on the floor of a small shower, but with a bit of careful push-pull I got there!

          After each shirt, I hung it outside on a wire hanger and they dried pretty quickly. I also had to put a new torn open garbage bag on the floor of the shower after each shirt because it was only VERY thin material and very thin paint so there was a fair bit of mess... Although none of my shower or sink was permanently stained, but the cheap acrylic paint did stain my fingers INSTANTLY...

          I haven't tested it on furniture, but it did use an OBSCENE amount of fabric medium plus some fabric paint too and it's actually remained quite flexible, so I'm hopeful! :)

          Resha

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008
            >> adding some blue food dye. Managed to add more food dye than I
            needed and got purple blood

            Only a drop or two. When I make blood punch... I use a regular red
            punch and then if it's a full punch bowl I add 1 to 3 drops of blue
            food coloring for the whole thing.

            >>As for applying it, I used a couple of different methods. After
            lining the floor and partway up the walls of my shower with garbage bags,

            Did you snap any pictures of your insanity??? We're going to need to
            put together all our zombee stuff and get it up on the web eventually.

            -Cat-
          • Naresha
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008
              Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote: >> adding some blue food dye. Managed to add more food dye than I
              >> needed and got purple blood
              >
              > Only a drop or two. When I make blood punch... I use a regular red
              > punch and then if it's a full punch bowl I add 1 to 3 drops of blue
              > food coloring for the whole thing.

              Yes... Unfortunately the bottle didn't have a dropper or anything on it and I was on the phone at the time. BAD IDEA!!! :P But it all worked out in the end with the addition of the vile red paint!

              >>As for applying it, I used a couple of different methods. After
              >>lining the floor and partway up the walls of my shower with garbage >>bags,

              > Did you snap any pictures of your insanity??? We're going to need to
              > put together all our zombee stuff and get it up on the web eventually.
              Sure did, Cat! :D I'll post them up in my folder on the group once I've sent this post off!

              Resha

              Recent Activity

              4
              New Members

              Visit Your Group
              Only on Yahoo!
              World of Star Wars
              Meet fans, watch
              videos & more.

              Biz Resources
              Y! Small Business
              Articles, tools,
              forms, and more.

              Yahoo! Groups
              Balance your life
              by learning how to
              make smart choices.

              .

            • Naresha
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008
                Have posted some pix of my massacre of my shirts. They're APPALLING quality but that's cause I capped them off a video I made of the whole process. It took about five minutes per shirt, not counting the time it took to safeguard my shower or the cleanup! I'll take some proper photos of the finished products a bit later so anyone who's interested can see them!

                Resha

              • Amanda_C
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008
                  Thank you Resha and Cat!

                  Please explain further though: fabric medium?

                  I think I get the idea, but is it something I can
                  purchase at Jo-Ann's or preferably Michaels Crafts?

                  Thanks again! ^_^
                  Amanda

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008
                    >> Please explain further though: fabric medium?
                    >>I think I get the idea, but is it something I can
                    purchase at Jo-Ann's or preferably Michaels Crafts?

                    You should be able to get it at Michaels. Go into the paint
                    department.... with the good paints. There are various mediums.. some
                    add matte, some gloss, some thin the paints. Fabric medium is just
                    something that mixes in that helps the absorption. You'll need to thin
                    it a bit too to get it to behave, as you've heard. Water is fine.

                    -Cat-
                  • Ann Catelli
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008
                      >> Please explain further though: fabric medium?
                      >>I think I get the idea, but is it something I can
                      >> purchase at Jo-Ann's or preferably Michaels Crafts?

                      A "medium" is the part of the paint that sticks the
                      color to the material; paint is made of pigment and
                      medium.

                      Paints are often named after their medium, hence
                      acrylic and oil paints, but not watercolors, which
                      have gum arabic (i think).

                      So, acrylic medium is just acrylic precursor and water
                      and shiny or matte bits, with no color. :)

                      Ann in CT

                    • Jeannette Peters
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008
                        Another thing about fabric medium: it makes the paint dry flexible. I
                        mixed it with acrylic paint to use on my rubber silly Hobbit feet. My
                        first paint job cracked and flaked after a few hours of walking in them.
                        I repainted with fabric medium added to the paint and they've appeared
                        at many parties since with nary a wrinkle.

                        Jeannette
                        -----------------------------

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008
                            >>Chances are if the store stocks paint, they will stock the mediums as
                            well.Chances are if the store stocks paint, they will stock the mediums
                            as well.

                            A regular art supply store will have it as well.

                            Though sometimes, you can find a bottle of it sitting near the fabric
                            paints (which are already acrylic paints w/ fabric medium mixed in.)
                            However, regular fabric pains are normally far too thick and are almost
                            always pastel. Cheaper to mix your own.

                            -Cat-
                            Such a great topic considering the DVD players been playing both the
                            Sweeney Todd movie and the stage musical... but there you have to worry
                            about laundry every night... and non permanence.
                          • Naresha
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008
                              Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote: > Though sometimes, you can find a bottle of it sitting near the fabric
                              > paints (which are already acrylic paints w/ fabric medium mixed in.)
                              > However, regular fabric pains are normally far too thick and are
                              > almost always pastel. Cheaper to mix your own.

                              I've never had an issue with colours I must say... The fabric paint I bought came in every conceivable colour imaginable! I think you would have had more trouble finding a pastel than a fluro! But yes, it was cheaper to mix my own by a couple of dollars! I just never trust myself with quantities and mixing proportions correctly!

                              resha

                            • Amanda_C
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008
                                I ended up using Acra Red and a tiny bit of Burnt
                                Umber acrylic paint, and one drop of blue food dye
                                (that really made the difference). I didn't use the
                                fabric medium - it was over $10 for a big bottle of it
                                and I'm on a budget for this project. Will provide
                                pics soon.

                                Thank you for all your help!
                                ~ Amanda

                                --- Naresha <north_shore_fruitcake@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...>
                                > wrote: > Though sometimes, you can find a bottle
                                > of it sitting near the fabric
                                > > paints (which are already acrylic paints w/ fabric
                                > medium mixed in.)
                                > > However, regular fabric pains are normally far too
                                > thick and are
                                > > almost always pastel. Cheaper to mix your own.
                                >
                                > I've never had an issue with colours I must say...
                                > The fabric paint I bought came in every conceivable
                                > colour imaginable! I think you would have had more
                                > trouble finding a pastel than a fluro! But yes, it
                                > was cheaper to mix my own by a couple of dollars! I
                                > just never trust myself with quantities and mixing
                                > proportions correctly!
                                >
                                > resha

                                > removed]

                              • Naresha
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008
                                  Can't wait to see the end result!

                                  I got lucky and found myself a little bottle of medium - I don't use it much (says she who's just used it on the last three projects) as a general thing so a $2 bottle was an acceptable outlay, but I know big bottles come in annoyingly expensive. Hope the paint stays on, never painted anything with just normal acrylic!

                                  Resha
                                • Sarah
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 6, 2008
                                    If you dilute the paint with enough water, and wet the cloth, it will
                                    penetrate without the fabric medium. Not sure if it will look like
                                    blood stains though. I did my daughter's Princess Leia Endor Commando
                                    poncho that way, years before I found out about Fabric medium. Then
                                    again, I was looking for the watercolor effect.

                                    --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Naresha <north_shore_fruitcake@...>