Re: [F-Costume] more: What fabric is this?

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 9, 2008
      Cat Devereaux wrote:

      > The stuff has obviously been washed up and sizing is gone yet it skill
      > has some body... look at those folds. I think peachskin might be too
      > soft... and there's either a bit more nap, or texture weave to it that
      > that those microsuades.
      >
      > I don't recognize the movie (and YOU know we want this stuff labeled!
      > <G>) Title and budget might give a clue what the fabric is trying to
      > be.

      Sorry, this one I thought was obvious to pretty much everyone: Prof
      Sprout from Harry Potter. It's her Greenhouse Smock.

      ok, the brushed twill maybe. Main reason I've been mentally avoiding
      nappy things is that in a greenhouse, dirt will fly all over antyhing
      like that. Now,that just brings in an aspect of rationality to movie
      costumes... but in general I think tat was considered since her hat is
      wrapped burlap sacking and the over robe looks like a heavy linen.

      Hmmm, anyone seen any brushed twill in a dark charcoal? yeah, I could
      wash the black a few times but these days detergents keep wanting to
      preserve black dye.

      -Judy
    • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 9, 2008
        At 10:41 PM 3/8/2008, you wrote:

        > >> hmmm, so even a suede-like (peachskin or the other one) might be
        >similar? I know the one shot looks soft and fuzzy, but the exhibit
        >seemed crisper. I'm so confused.
        >
        >The stuff has obviously been washed up and sizing is gone yet it skill
        >has some body... look at those folds. I think peachskin might be too
        >soft... and there's either a bit more nap, or texture weave to it that
        >that those microsuades.
        >
        >I don't recognize the movie

        Chamber of Secrets: Professor Sprout.

        >(and YOU know we want this stuff labeled!
        ><G>) Title and budget might give a clue what the fabric is trying to
        >be. Also, in context of other costumes in the movie, are most woven and
        >natural fabrics (like the outside is)? Would she be wearing any kind
        >of a velvet for a reason??? OR would the story imply homespun? Then
        >again, depending on the movie it could be whatever was looking good in
        >the bargain bin.
        >
        >-Cat-

        "Those Who Fail To Learn History
        Are Doomed to Repeat It;
        Why They Are Simply Doomed.

        Achemdro'hm
        "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
        -- C.Y. 4971

        Andromeda
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 9, 2008
          >>Sorry, this one I thought was obvious to pretty much everyone: Prof
          Sprout from Harry Potter. It's her Greenhouse Smock.

          See, it's why I say identify. I don't really follow HP much. A saw
          someone who looked a bit like a Fairy Tale Mother Goose... and she might
          wear velvet. But it being a "working" outfit, automatically rules out
          half the fabrics. Know the budget rules out the bargain bin... and
          brings you to the type of fabric you're probably looking for.

          Context is a major component of costume breakdown.

          >>ok, the brushed twill maybe. Main reason I've been mentally avoiding
          nappy things is that in a greenhouse, dirt will fly all over anything
          like that. Now,that just brings in an aspect of rationality to movie
          costumes... but in general I think tat was considered since her hat is
          wrapped burlap sacking and the over robe looks like a heavy linen.

          But she can use magic to clean up the robes after she's finished! (ducking)

          The robes look warm for working in a greenhouse, but do look cool. Think
          they're real suited for you.

          >>Hmmm, anyone seen any brushed twill in a dark charcoal? yeah, I could
          wash the black a few times but these days detergents keep wanting to
          preserve black dye.

          Better yet, start with something lighter. Nows the time to use those
          cheesy black dyes that never dye something black in the washer... Use
          about 1/4 the amount recommended... and you should be in the neighborhood...