Re: Newbie with questions-smock

  • faye
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 28, 2008
      --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...>
      wrote:

      > >>Hi all, rank amateur here :) I just got into costuming a couple
      of
      > months ago, and I'm just now learning how to sew.
      >
      > Welcome to the zoo. We love to infect folks with the Joy of
      Costuming
      > (and the pain) <G>
      >
      > >>As a result, most of my costuming thus far has been altering
      existing
      > outfits.
      >
      > From descriptions below, with your sizing... yup, you'll need to
      alter,
      > but you'll find out how much easier it is to make basic shapes.
      There's
      > a limit to how much a garment can be altered.
      >
      > >>I'm pretty small, and the one-size-fits-all chemise is HUGE.
      >
      > Well, if the fabric is 100% natural, I'd use it to make a new one.
      > Here's a great online smock generator:
      > http://www.elizabethancostume.net/smockpat/ (It's going to be a
      better
      > use of material starting over than just hacking the other one to
      remove
      > pieces out of center front back and sleeve.)

      OK even as a newbie, you can make your own smock/chemise.

      http://www.simbelmyne.us/tudor/pages/chemise.htm

      It's all straight seamed. I have small shoulders and it has made a
      huge difference being able to sew my own garments.

      Use, as Cat said, 100% cotton or linen. I personally love linen. 90
      degree temps and I'm still comfortable with long sleeves and multiple
      layers.

      You can cut up what you have to make it smaller and with a chemise it
      would work OK. Like Cat said, cut up the center seam to reduce.
      Large sleeves are OK for the time period. I'd do the modifications
      on the body of the smock, then see if the sleeves need any
      adjustments.

      For your main garment, sounds like it's OK, but if you want to take
      that in, you have side lacing, makes adjustments a little tricker
      with the eyelettes. I love cotton velveteen to work with, but you
      must be careful with the seams, the sewing foot can leave a mark (not
      nearly as bad as silk velvets), handsewing a small area is better.

      It might be better to just exchange for a smaller size.

      Let us know of your progress.

      faye
      www.simbelmyne.us
    • Dianna Filan
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 4, 2008
        Hello everyone!

        I'm currently working on a costume for the premier of Prince Caspian. So there are some links to "spolier pics", if you will. I decided that I was going to make one of Susan's dresses, and for the longest time we all thought the main fabric was velvet, but some high res pics came out, and it's not velvet. So, I was wondering to see what everyone's thoughts on what the fabric is. There are very limited (and short!) shots of the dress in motion, only what we've got in the trailers; it's hard to tell how exactly it moves, but it does seem to be medium or heavier weight fabric. So, I'll include a few links to her dress (the ones that give the best view of the fabric).

        But man, I was REALLY hoping for velvet! .... I think I might just do mine out of velvet anyway ... since I'm sort of going to modify the dress. Make tie-on sleeves like Eowyn's from LotR, since most of the dress is hidden it leaves more up to the imagination. :)

        Original pic. Velvet, no?
        http://costumes.narniaweb.com/caspian/caspiangroup3.jpg

        Promotional Pic
        http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/suredpromo.jpg
        Another shot
        http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/sured3.jpg

        It's also been suggested that Su's skirt material also looks a lot like Lucy's skirt material, which was also thought to have been velvet (but her sleeves are!)
        http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/lured1.jpg

        Thanks for the help!

        dianna

      • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 4, 2008
          It looks like a medium-weight wool to me. Even in the first picture.

          Sandy

          At 11:16 PM 3/4/2008, you wrote:

          >Hello everyone!
          >
          >I'm currently working on a costume for the premier of Prince
          >Caspian. So there are some links to "spolier pics", if you will. I
          >decided that I was going to make one of Susan's dresses, and for the
          >longest time we all thought the main fabric was velvet, but some
          >high res pics came out, and it's not velvet. So, I was wondering to
          >see what everyone's thoughts on what the fabric is. There are very
          >limited (and short!) shots of the dress in motion, only what we've
          >got in the trailers; it's hard to tell how exactly it moves, but it
          >does seem to be medium or heavier weight fabric. So, I'll include a
          >few links to her dress (the ones that give the best view of the fabric).
          >Thanks for the help!
          >
          >dianna

          "Those Who Fail To Learn History
          Are Doomed to Repeat It;
          Why They Are Simply Doomed.

          Achemdro'hm
          "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
          -- C.Y. 4971

          Andromeda
        • Andrew Trembley
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 4, 2008
            Pierre & Sandy Pettinger wrote:
            > It looks like a medium-weight wool to me. Even in the first picture.

            I was going to say suede in the first pic (particularly with how the
            printing at the border looks) but in the close-up it's clearly a medium
            woolen (not worsted), somewhat fulled.

            andy

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
              Dianna Filan wrote:
              > Original pic. Velvet, no?
              > http://costumes.narniaweb.com/caspian/caspiangroup3.jpg
              >
              > Promotional Pic
              > http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/suredpromo.jpg
              > Another shot
              > http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/sured3.jpg

              Velvet would just be sooo impractical in that situation. Plus, they
              tend to use silk velvet which wouldn't hang that way at all. It would be
              luscious, though.
              My thoughts would be wool, or maybe the suede (although I'm not sure
              suede would stand out/hang in the back quite like that. Might, though)

              > It's also been suggested that Su's skirt material also looks a lot like Lucy's skirt material, which was also thought to have been velvet (but her sleeves are!)
              > http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/lured1.jpg

              Ok, I'll buy the sheen on the sleeves being silk. But not a chance on
              the skirt. Zoom up on that pic - especially around the slit(which you
              can see turned! velvet won't turn like that). Actually... that fabric
              has horizontal slubby lines! It looks more like a washed shantung (still
              not terribly practical, but..). Definitely does not have the sheen in
              the highlight that the sleeve has, and you can see the same highlight
              from the sleeve following right onto the skirt. not the same fabric,
              just matching dye job.

              -Judy
            • Toker, Sue (US SSA)
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                I would have to concur with medium weight wool theory. I have heard
                wool is used a lot in film and it has that look in the first and third
                pictures. However, if you want it to be velvet (a lovely fabric!) use
                the second (Promotional) picture as your "reference" as it has the look
                of a velvet! The Narnia clothing is so nicely wearable compared to some
                film clothing!

                Original pic. Velvet, no?
                http://costumes.narniaweb.com/caspian/caspiangroup3.jpg
                <http://costumes.narniaweb.com/caspian/caspiangroup3.jpg>

                Promotional Pic
                http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/suredpromo.jpg
                <http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/suredpromo.jpg>
                Another shot
                http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/sured3.jpg
                <http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/sured3.jpg>

                >>It's also been suggested that Su's skirt material also looks a lot
                like Lucy's skirt material, which was also thought to have been velvet
                (but >>her sleeves are!)
                >>http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/lured1.jpg
                <http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/lured1.jpg>

                I would guess that the top/brown(sienna) parts of this costume are
                silk-velvet. The white vest is probably either a silk brocade or
                embroidered fabric or maybe a printed or embroidered linen with gold
                embroidery along the bottom. I would need a closer shot to tell. The
                brown(sienna) skirt is made from a "Slubbed" weave fabric. It also
                could be silk or it might be a look-alike poly that would be more
                washable for film work. The whit bit might be a medium weight/plain
                weave silk by the way it clings.

                Good Costuming!

                Susan

              • bleupirate@aol.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                  In a message dated 3/5/2008 9:01:56 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  sue.toker@... writes:

                  I would guess that the top/brown(sienna) parts of this costume are
                  silk-velvet. The white vest is probably either a silk brocade or
                  embroidered fabric or maybe a printed or embroidered linen with gold
                  embroidery along the bottom. I would need a closer shot to tell. The
                  brown(sienna) skirt is made from a "Slubbed" weave fabric. It also
                  could be silk or it might be a look-alike poly that would be more
                  washable for film work. The whit bit might be a medium weight/plain
                  weave silk by the way it clings.

                  I agree! I think Lucy's dress looks like silk (raw silk) and velvet. I also
                  think Susan's looks like wool.

                • Sarah
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                    --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Dianna Filan <pianoplayinggirl@...>
                    wrote:
                    >[snip]
                    > Original pic. Velvet, no?
                    > http://costumes.narniaweb.com/caspian/caspiangroup3.jpg
                    > Promotional Pic
                    > http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/suredpromo.jpg
                    > Another shot
                    > http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/sured3.jpg

                    I'm also of the opinion that this skirt is a wool of some sort, in all
                    three pix, especially the first two, look at the places where an outer
                    fold catches the sunlight, you can see the fuzzy wool surface.

                    > It's also been suggested that Su's skirt material also looks a lot
                    like Lucy's skirt material, which was also thought to have been velvet
                    (but her sleeves are!)
                    > http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/lured1.jpg

                    Lucy's skirt is dupioni or shantung, by the slubby texture. I'd argue
                    for silk on the basis of the crease a finger's width inside the cf
                    opening, which is typical of silk. once you've pressed that crease, it
                    will never fully come out. Looks to me like they had to take it in a
                    smidgen at that cf seam/opening. The self facing at that edge is wider
                    than we can see in this pose.
                    sleeves look like velvet, bodice looks like printed (maybe
                    embroidered) dupioni or shantung.
                    oh boy, this is gonna be fun! :)
                  • darth_eagle
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                      OMG! I was about to post about the fabrics for Lucy's Outfit here
                      especially in reference to this photo:

                      http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/lucypromo.jpg
                      http://bp3.blogger.com/_n3eH1jI8AZ8/R8yV8YxwzXI/AAAAAAAACbw/ynJ76Hr4Glo
                      /s1600-h/CASPIAN_PRM_Lucy1_L.jpg

                      Anyhow, here's Lucy's Red Dress Page and some of the reference photos
                      http://costumes.narniaweb.com/caspianlucyred.asp

                      "Sarah" <sarahstrong13@...> wrote:
                      > Lucy's skirt is dupioni or shantung, by the slubby texture. I'd argue
                      > for silk on the basis of the crease a finger's width inside the cf
                      > opening, which is typical of silk. once you've pressed that crease,
                      it
                      > will never fully come out.

                      Ya, I too thot it's Silk Dupioni from the texture of the Skirt but
                      then again, it seems to lack most Sheen that is usually found on Silk
                      Dupioni. Wash it several time to remove the sheen?

                      Shantung sounds like a "cheaper" (well, if you got for the Polyester
                      kind) alternative but the downside I feel is it's a bit more stiff
                      than Dupioni?

                      How about Raw Silk that had been washed to soften and maybe smoothen
                      it more and overdyed or something?

                      > sleeves look like velvet,

                      Ya, I bet it's Velvet too. The WD Website said it might be Panne
                      Velvet but I doubt it as it looked more "smooth" like regular Velvet,
                      probably Silk Velvet.

                      > bodice looks like printed (maybe embroidered) dupioni or shantung.

                      Looking at this photo, now I have to agree that the Bodice-Sleeves
                      might be a separate piece from the Skirt:
                      http://bp3.blogger.com/_n3eH1jI8AZ8/R8yRWYxwzDI/AAAAAAAACZQ/jyySYSgKTtg
                      /s1600-h/CASPIAN_154034_L.jpg

                      Or else the Costume Department is crazy enough to add the Trimmings
                      around the waist as another belt? o__O

                      For the patterns on the Bodice, I think the Leaves/Stem might be
                      printed but its top might be embroderied. Just look at its texture
                      here:
                      http://bp3.blogger.com/_n3eH1jI8AZ8/R8yV8YxwzXI/AAAAAAAACbw/ynJ76Hr4Glo
                      /s1600-h/CASPIAN_PRM_Lucy1_L.jpg

                      http://bp0.blogger.com/_n3eH1jI8AZ8/R8yTyoxwzOI/AAAAAAAACao/umedoC--
                      Dgo/s1600-h/CASPIAN_154057_L.jpg

                      How about the Trimmings, especially the one at the Bottom of the
                      Bodice? Could it be some kind of Bullion (not wire kind?)?

                      About Lucy's Cloak, I'm sure it's Wool and probably produced by the
                      same people who did her LWW Blue Camp one and LOTR Fellowship Cloak.

                      And looking at this photo:
                      http://bp0.blogger.com/_n3eH1jI8AZ8/R8yTyoxwzOI/AAAAAAAACao/umedoC--
                      Dgo/s1600-h/CASPIAN_154057_L.jpg
                      the trimmings looks like Velvet with the patterns painted on?

                      Thanks! ^__^

                      Fatimah
                    • Sarah
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                        --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "darth_eagle" <darth_eagle@...> wrote:

                        > OMG! I was about to post about the fabrics for Lucy's Outfit here
                        > especially in reference to this photo:
                        >
                        > http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/lucypromo.jpg
                        > "Sarah" <sarahstrong13@> wrote:
                        > > Lucy's skirt is dupioni or shantung, by the slubby texture. ...
                        >
                        > Ya, I too thot it's Silk Dupioni from the texture of the Skirt but
                        > then again, it seems to lack most Sheen that is usually found on Silk
                        > Dupioni. Wash it several time to remove the sheen?

                        yes, if you wash dupioni the shiny aspect is very much reduced.

                        > Shantung sounds like a "cheaper" (well, if you got for the Polyester
                        > kind) alternative but the downside I feel is it's a bit more stiff
                        > than Dupioni?

                        that's my understanding, plus there are probably different weights of
                        dupioni. The way the skirt moves in the shot where the front slit is
                        open suggested a fairly substantial fabric, so either a little bit
                        heavier dupioni, or it's backed with something, or whatever.

                        > How about Raw Silk that had been washed to soften and maybe smoothen
                        > it more and overdyed or something?

                        Raw silk (at least what I'm familiar with) has a tabby weave with warp
                        and weft that are very similar, so it lacks that stripey look that
                        dupioni has. Maybe there's another fabric called raw silk?

                        > For the patterns on the Bodice, I think the Leaves/Stem might be
                        > printed but its top might be embroderied. Just look at its texture
                        > here:
                        > http://bp3.blogger.com/_n3eH1jI8AZ8/R8yV8YxwzXI/AAAAAAAACbw/ynJ76Hr4Glo
                        > /s1600-h/CASPIAN_PRM_Lucy1_L.jpg

                        I agree, on her right side, our left, the way the light catches the
                        fabric, it looks like a little group of something like french knots.

                        > About Lucy's Cloak, I'm sure it's Wool and probably produced by the
                        > same people who did her LWW Blue Camp one and LOTR Fellowship Cloak.
                        >
                        > And looking at this photo:
                        > http://bp0.blogger.com/_n3eH1jI8AZ8/R8yTyoxwzOI/AAAAAAAACao/umedoC--
                        > Dgo/s1600-h/CASPIAN_154057_L.jpg
                        > the trimmings looks like Velvet with the patterns painted on?

                        looks embroidered to me, the stitches nest into the velvet. sweet.

                        I also noticed the piping at the edges of the sleeves and the bodice
                        neckline. I suspect the small edge of 'underdress' visible around the
                        neckline is actually a faked underdress, attached a little way inside
                        the finished edge of the bodice. It doesn't look like it's quite the
                        same fabric as the under skirt. It's a bit grayer, for one thing.
                      • darth_eagle
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 7, 2008
                          "Sarah" <sarahstrong13@...> wrote:
                          > yes, if you wash dupioni the shiny aspect is very much reduced.

                          I was just thinking since someone mentioned it on the Narnia Costuming
                          Forum:

                          Is it advicable to wash Silk Dupioni in Hot Water to remove the Sheen?

                          I know that when we dye Silk (with Dylon Multi-Purpose Dye), we are
                          suppose to use Hot Water (but the stove flame turned off).

                          And when we're washing Silk, we are not suppose to use Hot Water.
                          I learned this the hard way when my Silk "Baju Kurung" (a Malay Long
                          Blouse & Skirt) got "bleached" out after I accidentally throw it into
                          my previous European Drum-Type Washing Machine which uses Hot Water.
                          *__*

                          Fatimah
                        • Sarah
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 7, 2008
                            I wouldn't. I just wash silks on the gentle cycle with cold water.
                            Sometimes I tumble it *briefly* in the dryer, just to shake out the
                            wrinkles. Not nearly long enough to actually dry it.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 7, 2008
                              Too hot and you're toast when doing silk Know your washer. Before you
                              sew it up, you can wash it in warm. Just don't go to the extremes.

                              Washing does take down a bit of the shine. You get a more subtle
                              sheen... but part of the earlier shine is the sizing when they prep the
                              fabric to look good for sale.

                              -Cat-
                            • Dianna Filan
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 9, 2008
                                Wow - thanks so much to everyone who replied - I didn't expect to get so many! :) I guess I can see the wool in the first picture, well definitely more than before. I still think I'm going to go with a velvet though, just cause I dont have anything and it's a good excuse to make one ... right?
                                ;)

                                As far as Lucy's Dress is, I think that they already figured that her bodice was silk dupuoni, with the design printed on & embroidery embellisments (first thought to only be embroidered). I thought her skirts were dupuoni as well, but the lack of shine threw me off. Raw silk is def. different - has defined warp and weft.

                                Me - before: It's also been suggested that Su's skirt material also looks a lot like Lucy's skirt material
                                I guess I meant in the beginning, when pics first started to come out and up to just recently, when all of these high-res pics came out.

                                Judy: Velvet would just be sooo impractical in that situation. Plus, they tend to use silk velvet which wouldn't hang that way at all. It would be luscious, though.
                                So many things are impractical in movies though! I don't think running around in skirts during a battle would be the safest way ... but it's a movie. Certainly looks nice, and I guess it doesn't really have to be practical. Who are "they"? Just curious. I almost like the idea of having a cotton velvet here instead of a silk one better.

                                Thanks again so much - to everyone! Hopefully once I get this all done (I'm aiming for beginning of May) I'll be able to post pics!

                                dianna

                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 9, 2008
                                  >>Wow - thanks so much to everyone who replied - I didn't expect to get
                                  so many! :)

                                  Well, it's hit or miss. Depends on how the question inspires and who
                                  has time to answer just then.

                                  >>I guess I can see the wool in the first picture, well definitely more
                                  than before. I still think I'm going to go with a velvet though, just
                                  cause I dont have anything and it's a good excuse to make one ...
                                  right? ;)

                                  You're always in control of your own vision/costume. Unless you're
                                  trying to make the ultimate exact costume in a hard core competition.

                                  >> ... and I guess it doesn't really have to be practical. Who are
                                  "they"? Just curious. I almost like the idea of having a cotton velvet
                                  here instead of a silk one better.

                                  Cotton for skirts, especially if you're going to play. The elves
                                  needed silk, but these don't need it.

                                  -Cat-
                                • faye
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 11, 2008

                                    > >> ... and I guess it doesn't really have to be practical. Who are
                                    > "they"? Just curious. I almost like the idea of having a cotton
                                    velvet
                                    > here instead of a silk one better.
                                    >
                                    > Cotton for skirts, especially if you're going to play. The elves
                                    > needed silk, but these don't need it.
                                    >
                                    > -Cat-

                                    Another note about the skirts Cotton velveteen vs. silk velvet.

                                    I don't think you will get the correct drape for the skirt if you use
                                    just silk velvet. You'll need some stiff petticoats to make the hem
                                    stand out as shown in the photos or maybe some horsehair braid in the
                                    hem.

                                    The velveteen will do that almost on it's own.

                                    faye
                                    www.simbelmyne.us