semi-OT: colouring fruit?

  • Naresha
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 10, 2008
      I know it's a bit of an odd subject line but I need some help with prop making for a photo shoot I've got coming up.

      It's a sort of poison apple thing - and I need a black apple for it! :-P Except I need to be able to eat it, so I can't just paint the outside of it. I'm not sure that food colouring would stick given the skin's shiny and usually waxed. I don't want it coming off on my fingers because black anything takes FOREVER to come off skin and I won't be allowed to work if I'm covered in black dye!

      Anyone got any ideas? Because I'm stumped!

      Resha

    • Ann Garner
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 10, 2008
        At 03:36 AM 2/10/2008, you wrote:
        >I know it's a bit of an odd subject line but I need some help with
        >prop making for a photo shoot I've got coming up.
        >
        > It's a sort of poison apple thing - and I need a black apple for
        > it! :-P Except I need to be able to eat it, so I can't just paint
        > the outside of it. I'm not sure that food colouring would stick
        > given the skin's shiny and usually waxed. I don't want it coming
        > off on my fingers because black anything takes FOREVER to come off
        > skin and I won't be allowed to work if I'm covered in black dye!
        >
        > Anyone got any ideas? Because I'm stumped!
        >
        > Resha
        Fondant wrapped apple? Caramel apple with black food coloring
        <powdered stuff, it's what you need to get actual black> added to the
        caramel?

        As to watching on getting the black on your skin--there is a barrier
        cream at most industrial supply stores that will keep stuff from
        sticking to your skin. Baby oil or shampoo is good at cutting dye from skin.

        Ann in Arkansas
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 10, 2008
          >> Fondant wrapped apple? Caramel apple with black food coloring
          <powdered stuff, it's what you need to get actual black> added to the
          caramel?

          That's going to be very sticky depending on how you pose... and that's
          going to come off on your lipstick as well as fingers.

          I was thinking of dipping an apple in a melt of that black espresso like
          dark chocolate... but you'd still get finger melt under photo lights,
          but it wouldn't stain.

          Before you said you had to eat it... I was thinking black acrylic
          paint. It would give a glorious shine. And you pantomime eating the
          apple. If you need a bite out, cut out a circle. (This is still
          photography, isn't it?)

          Only other thing I though of, also included that black cake dye stuff.
          You'd first need to soak the apple and scrub it and get all the wax off
          the sucker.. then paint on a predation of the black, probably multiple
          layers to get it black enough. Then for shine, a oil. But TEST that it
          doesn't rub off too easily. (Yes, you need to worry about fingers
          staining with this option too... and teeth and lips.... and probably the
          apple will observe some of the black so it won't be pretty inside.

          I think paint will look the prettiest... you just have to fake the
          moment. After all... how pretty is a chomp down??? Etables... dark
          chocolate. Compromise someplace

          -Cat-
        • Naresha
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 10, 2008
            Ann Garner <mystique@...> wrote: > > It's a sort of poison apple thing - and I need a black apple for
            > > it! :-P Except I need to be able to eat it, so I can't just paint
            > > the outside of it. I'm not sure that food colouring would stick
            > > given the skin's shiny and usually waxed. I don't want it coming
            > > off on my fingers because black anything takes FOREVER to come off
            > > skin and I won't be allowed to work if I'm covered in black dye!

            > Fondant wrapped apple? Caramel apple with black food coloring
            > <powdered stuff, it's what you need to get actual black> added to the
            > caramel?

            I did consider covering it icing or something, but I need to be able to bite it without the coating cracking/breaking off and revealing the actual apple...
            Where does one get powdered food dye anyway? I've seen it used in cooking shows and heard how brilliant it is, but I've never once seen it available here and I spend a horrendous amount of time in cooking shops!

            > As to watching on getting the black on your skin--there is a barrier
            > cream at most industrial supply stores that will keep stuff from
            > sticking to your skin. Baby oil or shampoo is good at cutting dye from skin.

            Industrial supply stores??? Is something similar available more easily? Or something that will substitue because this is going to be done in a very small town when I next go to visit my (photographer) friend in the UK and the nearest big city is a good couple of hours away (not to mention a fair amount of money!) by train. If I can find something in Sydney, I could take it with me if it was small enough, but I have a VERY hard time finding anything costuming related here in Australia - apparently Sydneysiders aren't creative anymore! There's only two-three fabric stores within an hour's drive and most of them have majority homewares!
            I'll try baby oil, but I've always had a tough time getting dyes off my skin - took me three days and a pumice stone last time I worked with a dye-related product and over a week for it to come off my nails! Does anti-dandruff shampoo strip dye from skin/nails as well as it does from hair?

            Resha

            Recent Activity

            5
            New Members

            Visit Your Group
            Only on Yahoo!
            Star Wars galaxy
            Create a profile
            and meet fans.

            Moderator Central
            Yahoo! Groups
            Get the latest news
            from the team.

            Yahoo! Groups
            Dog Zone
            Connect w/others
            who love dogs.

            .

          • Naresha
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 10, 2008
              Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote: >> Fondant wrapped apple? Caramel apple with black food coloring
              <powdered stuff, it's what you need to get actual black> added to the
              caramel?

              I was thinking of dipping an apple in a melt of that black espresso like
              dark chocolate... but you'd still get finger melt under photo lights,
              but it wouldn't stain.

              Mmm... Chocolate... That would be a VERY yummy apple to eat! But I think it would melt a bit too much - I have very warm fingers and ALWAYS end up with little finger prints on chocolate goodies. (not that it really matters as they get eaten too fast to notice!) And I wouldn't be able to change my grip on it without leaving prints everywhere. And chilling it would result in a matte look...

              > Before you said you had to eat it... I was thinking black acrylic
              > paint. It would give a glorious shine. And you pantomime eating the
              > apple. If you need a bite out, cut out a circle. (This is still
              > photography, isn't it?)

              I'm very disappointed about the paint - it would just be SO easy! Goes on easily, dries relatively fast, won't suffer finger prints, has a great glossy look to it and would be done within an hour! But sadly, it would probably make me VERY ill...

              Yes, it's still photography, but I know the photographer pretty well and they will definately want to be able to see the teeth marks in the apple! :-P They're a stickler for being able to crop right in on little details - I have a crystal clear photo of a teeny bit of chicken stuck between someone's teeth! :-P (It's
              > Only other thing I though of, also included that black cake dye stuff.
              > You'd first need to soak the apple and scrub it and get all the wax off
              > the sucker.. then paint on a predation of the black, probably multiple
              > layers to get it black enough. Then for shine, a oil. But TEST that it
              > doesn't rub off too easily. (Yes, you need to worry about fingers
              > staining with this option too... and teeth and lips.... and probably the
              > apple will observe some of the black so it won't be pretty inside.

              Soak it just in water? Or in soap of some description?
              I think no matter what I do, my teeth are going to get some sort of staining on them, and most likely my lips too. I'm not too worried about my teeth/mouth staining or the apple going black inside - it would probably work better that way because it's sposed to be a sort of poison apple (the idea behind the shoot it's a bit of a take on the seven deadly sins among other things)

              > I think paint will look the prettiest... you just have to fake the
              > moment. After all... how pretty is a chomp down??? Etables... dark
              > chocolate. Compromise someplace
              Just had an odd thought...What about black facepaint? :-P That's sposed to be non-toxic isn't it??? I know it wouldn't taste very nice, but it would stick to the apple and let me be shot biting into it... I don't have to swallow it, just be able to actually bite into it. I guess using that theory, I could use kid's craft paint too... That's non-toxic too. Would that work?

              Resha

              Recent Activity

              5
              New Members

              Visit Your Group
              Star Wars on Y!
              Discover new content
              Connect with other
              fans & upload video.

              Share Photos
              Put your favorite
              photos and
              more online.

              Wellness Spot
              on Yahoo! Groups
              A resource for living
              the Curves lifestyle.

              .

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 10, 2008
                >>I did consider covering it icing or something, but I need to be able
                to bite it without the coating cracking/breaking off and revealing the
                actual apple...

                So this is video???? Anything else you fake the bite.

                >>Where does one get powdered food dye anyway? I've seen it used in
                cooking shows and heard how brilliant it is, but I've never once seen it
                available here and I spend a horrendous amount of time in cooking shops!

                Cake making department, even of craft stores. sometimes it's powered,
                sometimes it's a tube. But you still have the problem of getting it to
                stick to the apple BUT NOT come off on your fingers.... and if the bite
                is going to show in the photo... you'll probably have a black apple inside.

                Paint! Fake it.

                Yah know... they've got some kids acrylic paints, or almost acrylic.
                They're non-toxic (Crayola makes them), sure it tastes reallllly bad
                (and given they're made in china....), but technically non-toxic.

                Likely to stay where put... and less cleanup up all around.

                Practice before you get on that plane since you'll have to prep the
                apple once you get there. (Never have just one. Do at least 2)

                >>Or something that will substitute

                Duo. It's clear latex - eyelash adhesive. It will take a while to dry,
                but you can peal it off your fingers like dryed white glue. However, if
                you're going to closeups, it might show.

                -Cat-
              • Naresha
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 10, 2008
                  Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote: >>I did consider covering it icing or something, but I need to be able
                  to bite it without the coating cracking/breaking off and revealing the
                  actual apple...

                  > So this is video???? Anything else you fake the bite.

                  It's going to be still, but there is every chance that the photographer's partner will decided to film it as well... They just got a new camcorder and are still filming anything that moves! :-P

                  I'd rather not fake the bite unless I have to, because quite frankly not one of the three of us can cut anything neatly! Last time we diced chicken, we ended up with a pile of chicken puree! :-P

                  >>Where does one get powdered food dye anyway? I've seen it used in
                  cooking shows and heard how brilliant it is, but I've never once seen it
                  available here and I spend a horrendous amount of time in cooking shops!

                  > Cake making department, even of craft stores. sometimes it's powered,
                  > sometimes it's a tube. But you still have the problem of getting it to
                  > stick to the apple BUT NOT come off on your fingers.... and if the bite
                  > is going to show in the photo... you'll probably have a black apple inside.

                  I'll investigate the cake department at the craft store when I'm next there. It doesn't matter if the apple goes a bit black inside - the effect will work well with the theme I think. No one said a poison apple had to be white inside! ;-)
                  And I've just had a MASSIVE brain wave - I'm shooting this when I'm next in the UK, so I won't BE working! *smacks self* Although I'd still prefer not to scrub it off my fingers for a month!

                  > Yah know... they've got some kids acrylic paints, or almost acrylic.
                  > They're non-toxic (Crayola makes them), sure it tastes reallllly bad
                  > (and given they're made in china....), but technically non-toxic.

                  I'll investigate some of those before I go. Rather get sick at home with a nice cheap doctor!

                  > Practice before you get on that plane since you'll have to prep the
                  > apple once you get there. (Never have just one. Do at least 2)

                  I want seven of them! :-P But I'll only need to eat one, so the others can be painted.

                  >>Or something that will substitute

                  > Duo. It's clear latex - eyelash adhesive. It will take a while to dry,
                  > but you can peal it off your fingers like dryed white glue. However, if
                  > you're going to closeups, it might show.

                  Ah. Eyelash adhesive I can get anywhere! :-)

                  Recent Activity

                  5
                  New Members

                  Visit Your Group
                  Only on Yahoo!
                  Star Wars galaxy
                  Create a profile
                  and meet fans.

                  Sell Online
                  Start selling with
                  our award-winning
                  e-commerce tools.

                  All-Bran
                  10 Day Challenge
                  Join the club and
                  feel the benefits.

                  .

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 10, 2008
                    >>Mmm... Chocolate... That would be a VERY yummy apple to eat! But I
                    think it would melt a bit too much - I have very warm fingers and ALWAYS
                    end up with little finger prints on chocolate goodies. (not that it
                    really matters as they get eaten too fast to notice!) And I wouldn't be
                    able to change my grip on it without leaving prints everywhere. And
                    chilling it would result in a matte look...

                    This is a cake and eat it too thing. You're not going to be able to get
                    it both ways unless you don't mind an ECU of black teeth and apple, or
                    fingers and smears.

                    >>I'm very disappointed about the paint - it would just be SO easy!
                    Goes on easily, dries relatively fast, won't suffer finger prints, has a
                    great glossy look to it and would be done within an hour!

                    Acrilic paints are still going to need more than an hour to do
                    completely and you'll probably best to plan for two coats of paint.

                    >>But sadly, it would probably make me VERY ill...

                    What about getting two apples that look almost identical. Clean up the
                    first for painting, then take a nice "bite". (Something you'll need to
                    reherse to get a fairytale looking bite.) Then hit the area quickly
                    with (someone help me out, what is it lemon juice that helps keep apples
                    from turning?), then paint that area with duo which drys clear, and make
                    sure to completely cover everything so that nothing gets to the air.
                    Paint the rest with black acrillic. Paint the 2nd one all black. Sub
                    apples at the right moment. With that mix, you'll be able to put your
                    teeth right against the bare latex. (Oh, vasaline the teeth so it's no
                    stick... its good before a photo shoot anyway.)

                    >>Yes, it's still photography, but I know the photographer pretty well
                    and they will definately want to be able to see the teeth marks in the
                    apple!

                    Above should work.

                    >>:-P They're a stickler for being able to crop right in on little
                    details - I have a crystal clear photo of a teeny bit of chicken stuck
                    between someone's teeth! :-P

                    Sometimes it's too close!!!

                    Remember... TEST is our four letter word. But better safe than sorry.

                    >>Soak it just in water? Or in soap of some description?

                    I'd prep by pre-washing even for the acrylic paint. I'd just do warm
                    water and scrub well with a nappy wash-cloth. But I know some folks
                    that use a fruit-cleaner to clean their vegitables. No idea what's in
                    it. I DON'T COOK. Once the sun comes up on the US, we may get some
                    cooks that can come up with other ideas, and name stuff better... my
                    cooking skills are in some deserts only.... else it's meet that's still
                    mooing... who needs to cook it?

                    >>I think no matter what I do, my teeth are going to get some sort of
                    staining on them, and most likely my lips too. I'm not too worried about
                    my teeth/mouth staining or the apple going black inside - it would
                    probably work better that way because it's sposed to be a sort of poison
                    apple (the idea behind the shoot it's a bit of a take on the seven
                    deadly sins among other things)

                    Well, if you're going for goth-horror... then you can get all messy.
                    If you don't get a good barrier cream, lots of hand lotion, the kind w/
                    a water proofer... or again lots of vasaline. BUT the greesier your
                    fingers the more you're going to spot a thin editable coating.

                    There's not really a perfect answer. I think a full pro shop would
                    caste the apple and crave the bites. Sub at east step needed.

                    >>ust had an odd thought...What about black facepaint? :-P That's
                    sposed to be non-toxic isn't it???

                    Greesy.

                    >>I know it wouldn't taste very nice, but it would stick to the apple
                    and let me be shot biting into it... I don't have to swallow it, just be
                    able to actually bite into it. I guess using that theory,

                    You could bite into the acrilic paint if you spit out... but there's a
                    chance it wouldn't break as clear as the skin, so again, you need
                    multiples. If you're going this route, make sure the paint's completely
                    dry (no oder). Limit time it's in your mouth. (Still don't sugest this

                    >> I could use kid's craft paint too... That's non-toxic too. Would
                    that work?

                    The one that's going to work may not have enough of a gloss. Oil will
                    probably desoved it so I don't know how to get a non-toxic paint shine.

                    *** ansering 2nd one too ********

                    >> It's going to be still, but there is every chance that the
                    photographer's partner will decided to film it as well... They just got
                    a new camcorder and are still filming anything that moves! :-P

                    Yea, but filming as in "making a movie" or "behind the scenes"????
                    There's absolutely NOTHING wrong w/ asking for a clarification. And
                    either one... the first. It's called FREEZE in position, and one apple
                    is replaced with pre-bit second one. (The clear latex really should
                    seal it for jsut the 24 hours you'll need.) Might get a bit mushy.

                    >>I'd rather not fake the bite unless I have to, because quite frankly
                    not one of the three of us can cut anything neatly! Last time we diced
                    chicken, we ended up with a pile of chicken puree! :-P

                    Chicken puree, yum! Thinking about calf brains again for the 2nd time
                    in two weeks. (Ah, what lovlie memories of movie shoots!) So bite one
                    before you paint.... and coat!

                    >>I'll investigate the cake department at the craft store when I'm next
                    there. It doesn't matter if the apple goes a bit black inside - the
                    effect will work well with the theme I think. No one said a poison apple
                    had to be white inside! ;-)

                    http://shop.pattycakes.com/cake-decorating/items.asp?CartId={91B10BAB-73A2-46AF-93BF-8AA1B2CA0BDA}&Cc=ICI%2DCOL
                    (don't know anything about them... but they even had black in pump.)
                    Might ask on their board. More likely to get food experieced people
                    there. Share results here.

                    >>And I've just had a MASSIVE brain wave - I'm shooting this when I'm
                    prefer not to scrub it off my fingers for a month!

                    But WHY, when you don't have to???

                    >>I'll investigate some of those before I go. Rather get sick at home
                    with a nice cheap doctor!

                    Ah, like don't kill yourself for your art. Don't be stupid for arts
                    sake. Checked out my acrilic craft paints. Has a fancy warning saying
                    basically while they don't think they're nasty, "avoid injection". The
                    pro way is before and after versions.

                    >>Ah. Eyelash adhesive I can get anywhere! :-)

                    Make sure to get the clear kind... It's just clear latex, and if you
                    pick up a bottle of that, it's a lot cheaper that way.

                    -Cat-
                    (crawling off to bed before dawn is official - bad Cat, am taping so why
                    am I trying to watch half the Jerrico marathon BEFORE I sleep?)
                  • Karyl Miller
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 10, 2008
                      It doesn't necessarily have to be black, does it?

                      In the movie 'Legend', there was a scene in the treasure room of the Prince of Darkness, with a table set with all sorts of truly poisonous looking goodies, including what looked like a purple apple that melted into the silver dish.

                      How about plain vegetable oil, with deep, DEEP purple food coloring? Or, if you prefer, black, as it's your apple.

                      That way, you can take a bit out of the apple and suffer no side effects.

                      It wouldn't taste all that great on the outside, but it might work for the shot.

                      Then, when the picture is taken, spit out the apple bite, chuck the apple and wash your hands if you haven't used barrier cream.

                      Of course, all of my advice may not be worth diddly as I have never done this myself; it's just something that popped into my head.

                      Karyl Miller

> [...]

                      >>And I've just had a MASSIVE brain wave - I'm shooting this when I'm
                      prefer not to scrub it off my fingers for a month!

                      But WHY, when you don't have to???

                      >>I'll investigate some of those before I go. Rather get sick at home
                      with a nice cheap doctor!

                      Ah, like don't kill yourself for your art. Don't be stupid for arts
                      sake. Checked out my acrilic craft paints. Has a fancy warning saying
                      basically while they don't think they're nasty, "avoid injection". The
                      pro way is before and after versions.

                      >>Ah. Eyelash adhesive I can get anywhere! :-)

                      Make sure to get the clear kind... It's just clear latex, and if you
                      pick up a bottle of that, it's a lot cheaper that way.

                      -Cat-
                      (crawling off to bed before dawn is official - bad Cat, am taping so why
                      am I trying to watch half the Jerrico marathon BEFORE I sleep?)

                    • Carol Kocian
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 10, 2008
                        On Feb 10, 2008, at 7:14 AM, Naresha wrote:

                        > Yes, it's still photography, but I know the photographer pretty
                        > well and they will definately want to be able to see the teeth
                        > marks in the apple! :-P They're a stickler for being able to crop
                        > right in on little details - I have a crystal clear photo of a
                        > teeny bit of chicken stuck between someone's teeth!

                        Maybe this is a silly question, but if it's still photography
                        why not make the apple black in Photoshop afterward? I can
                        understand if they are doing the entire project on film and planning
                        to make limited edition prints. But you could also do the shots
                        twice, once with an undyed apple and then have something to work with
                        digitally.

                        A bit of a tangent — in high school we did a play that had
                        multiple fairy tale characters in it, including Snow White. She had
                        to eat the apple onstage very quickly, so they used a small apple and
                        hollowed it out as much as possible so there was not much substance
                        to it.

                        -Carol
                      • Jessica Frantal
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 10, 2008
                          What about actually dipping it in beeswax dyed black? You could use
                          the powdered food coloring, add it to the melted wax and dip.
                          Beeswax is harmless, so long as it's not full of additives. Again,
                          not the best tasting, but it might avoid a lot of the mess.....

                          -Jess

                          PS - Hello! I think this is the first time I've de-lurked on this
                          group. :)

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 10, 2008
                            Carol Kocian <aquazoo@...> wrote: > Maybe this is a silly question, but if it's still photography
                            > why not make the apple black in Photoshop afterward? I can
                            > understand if they are doing the entire project on film and planning
                            > to make limited edition prints. But you could also do the shots
                            > twice, once with an undyed apple and then have something to work > with digitally.

                            I did consider that, but it can be risky because it has to be PERFECT, especially if you're close in on the apple. I know her skills are great, but it's a lot of fuss and bother to do it to a LOT of photos when you can spend a couple of hours doing it physically. And it's VERY hard to recreate the exact shot twice - she's done it before and hated the results.

                          • Ann Garner
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 10, 2008
                              If you were in the USA, I'd say check with any shop carrying cake
                              decorating supplies. Wilton is the brand that I've used, and it is a
                              fantastic food coloring powder.

                              Ann in Arkansas

                              >I did consider covering it icing or something, but I need to be able
                              >to bite it without the coating cracking/breaking off and revealing
                              >the actual apple...
                              > Where does one get powdered food dye anyway? I've seen it used
                              > in cooking shows and heard how brilliant it is, but I've never once
                              > seen it available here and I spend a horrendous amount of time in
                              > cooking shops!

                            • Toker, Sue (US SSA)
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 11, 2008
                                If this is a digital photograph thing, why can't the photographer make
                                use of Photoshop and colorize the apple that way? Safer and easier all
                                around.
                              • Julie Zetterberg
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 11, 2008
                                  Whatever you decide to try, I suggest you do a 'test bite' to see if
                                  the coloring comes off on your teeth, gums, lips, etc.

                                  How about using two (or more) apples: one intact and completely
                                  colored, one that's been pre-bitten (by you) in mid-bite (teeth marks
                                  but no missing flesh), and one with a hunk of flesh missing? Then when
                                  it comes to the 'bite' you just match your mouth to the pre-bitten
                                  area, and the 'after' shot with the piece bitten out. You could color
                                  the skin after you'd done the biting. You'd also have to treat the
                                  visible apple flesh with lemon juice to keep it from browning if you
                                  did it too far ahead of time.

                                  In that scenario, it wouldn't matter quite so much whether the coloring
                                  was edible (though it should still be non-toxic). You wouldn't be
                                  swallowing any of it - just holding it to your lips and teeth.
                                • Angharad ver' Reynulf
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 11, 2008
                                    Could you perhaps MIX two of the techniques? Do some test runs of what the chocolate looks like on the apple, and then only dip half of it, but paint the other half? Use a slight amount of edible oil on the whole apple after it is dry to give it the polished sheen of a ready-to-eat apple, but also disguise perhaps some of the color change (but recall that many apples do have some colour changing on the skin).

                                    That way you have a nice biteable side without worrying about teeth and fingers being stained.

                                    JonnaLyhn Wolfcat
                                    aka Angharad verch Reynulf, BAO, An Tir

                                    >> Fondant wrapped apple? Caramel apple with black food coloring
                                    <powdered stuff, it's what you need to get actual black> added to the
                                    caramel?

                                    That's going to be very sticky depending on how you pose... and that's
                                    going to come off on your lipstick as well as fingers.

                                    I was thinking of dipping an apple in a melt of that black espresso like
                                    dark chocolate... but you'd still get finger melt under photo lights,
                                    but it wouldn't stain.

                                    Before you said you had to eat it... I was thinking black acrylic
                                    paint. It would give a glorious shine. And you pantomime eating the
                                    apple. If you need a bite out, cut out a circle. (This is still
                                    photography, isn't it?)

                                    Only other thing I though of, also included that black cake dye stuff.
                                    You'd first need to soak the apple and scrub it and get all the wax off
                                    the sucker.. then paint on a predation of the black, probably multiple
                                    layers to get it black enough. Then for shine, a oil. But TEST that it
                                    doesn't rub off too easily. (Yes, you need to worry about fingers
                                    staining with this option too... and teeth and lips.... and probably the
                                    apple will observe some of the black so it won't be pretty inside.

                                    I think paint will look the prettiest... you just have to fake the
                                    moment. After all... how pretty is a chomp down??? Etables... dark
                                    chocolate. Compromise someplace

                                  • sewmuchmore4u
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 4, 2008
                                      Hello Resha,

                                      Have you thought about using fondant or marzipan? You can dye them
                                      both with food coloring, yes, you will get jet black. Plus, they are
                                      highly used in the baking field. You'll also be able to retain the
                                      shape of the apple because both are pliable. Hope that helps.

                                      Doris
                                    • Naresha
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 4, 2008
                                        Hi Doris,
                                        Yes, I did consider that and I think someone suggested it early on... The only problem with them is that they can break off and melt with the heat of lights and fingers... Plus I wouldn't be able to get as good a grip on them as I would on the apple itself and I'd risk having that show in the photos if there was a dent in the layer of icing and it would look a bit odd for an apple to be visibly dented! :P

                                        I've actually only recently located some black food dye and now I just need some apples to play with, so I might have some more idea on what I'll do soon!

                                        Thanks for the suggestion!

                                        Resha