Re:Victorian costumes for Children

  • maethoriel_jasmine
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 7, 2008

      > You may need to work on your own pattern then, because there aren't
      many
      > patterns out there for that in-between age. If you find what you
      like
      > in a larger pattern, you can use the instructions and the pattern
      shapes
      > to help you drape your muslin in a smaller size.

      Well that's kind of what I thought I might have to do....

      > BTW, don't forget to make a fun set of underpinnings -- at least a
      > chemise, bloomers and a petticoat. Decorate it with bits of ribbon
      and
      > she can use them also as a separate costume. Victorian undies are
      > always fun.
      >
      > -Cat-

      What a great and fun idea! Will do that, she will love it.

      Kelli
    • maethoriel_jasmine
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 7, 2008
        --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Melody Watts <hobbitmomof4@...> wrote:

        > Have you checked the Burda line of patterns? I recall seeing a new
        1890's bustle type dress in their costume section. it is shown made up
        in a cotton fabric, pink solid & floral ,if i remember, but it probably
        would look lovely made up in velvets or satin.
        > here's the addy:
        > http://www.sewingpatterns.com/index-burda.html

        OH, I LOVE THAT PATTERN!!! Thank you thank you, I would have never
        thought to look at Burda, (bad me)...That is exactly what I was looking
        for. She will get lost in mutton sleeves, the sleeves on that are
        perfect. I love it....I can see making a parasol to go with it!

        Kelli
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 7, 2008

          >>What a great and fun idea! Will do that, she will love it.

          Make them on elastic instead of draw strings, so their easier. I
          decorate with insertion lace. You probably don't want to make her a
          full corset... just a pretty chemese... but if you do, just lace
          loosly. You want to just shape. I put my sister w/ scoliosis in on,
          and you bet I laced lightely. Still gave her clean lines.

          However, if you go for a ladies style, you do need a corset, or bone
          the bodice to heck, which is almost the same thing, without the fun
          extra piece.
          .
          Also the good thing about making the underpinnings, she can wear them
          with other stuff... like some of the Anime fun stuff as well.
          Soooooooooo, very useful.

          -Cat-
        • Melody Watts
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 8, 2008
            You are welcome, We do Dicken's fest here in so. calif. and the hoops can get in the way of a lot of people, so i was looking for an alternative myself.please do post a picture of your niece in the dress and a review of pattern ease of construction ,etc. I 'd like to know.
            best, Melody

            maethoriel_jasmine <kelli_rn2000@...> wrote:
            --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Melody Watts <hobbitmomof4@...> wrote:

            > Have you checked the Burda line of patterns? I recall seeing a new
            1890's bustle type dress in their costume section. it is shown made up
            in a cotton fabric, pink solid & floral ,if i remember, but it probably
            would look lovely made up in velvets or satin.
            > here's the addy:
            > http://www.sewingpatterns.com/index-burda.html

            OH, I LOVE THAT PATTERN!!! Thank you thank you, I would have never
            thought to look at Burda, (bad me)...That is exactly what I was looking
            for. She will get lost in mutton sleeves, the sleeves on that are
            perfect. I love it....I can see making a parasol to go with it!

            Kelli

            " But, WHY, is the Rum all gone?"