Re: [F-Costume] Re:Victorian costumes for Children, ***Another pattern that could work....

  • Melody Watts
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 6, 2008
      Have you checked the Burda line of patterns? I recall seeing a new 1890's bustle type dress in their costume section. it is shown made up in a cotton fabric, pink solid & floral ,if i remember, but it probably would look lovely made up in velvets or satin.
      here's the addy:
      http://www.sewingpatterns.com/index-burda.html

      maethoriel_jasmine <kelli_rn2000@...> wrote:
      --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Jay and Denisen" <hartlove@...>
      wrote:

      > Y'know, this list can be a treasure trove of info, imho. It might be
      > even more helpful, though, for the list to be helpful if we knew
      > which Victorian period you're after in particular, since it's roughly
      > a 60-70 year span of time ...
      > Best -
      > Denisen

      I was looking for Post-Civil War, so about 1880-1900...I have found
      several resources, but nothing has smacked me upside the head yet. I
      was hoping for a teenage girl's party dress, not the little girl dolly
      type dress. Thanks for your help...

      Mae/Kelli

      " But, WHY, is the Rum all gone?"

    • maethoriel_jasmine
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 7, 2008

        > You may need to work on your own pattern then, because there aren't
        many
        > patterns out there for that in-between age. If you find what you
        like
        > in a larger pattern, you can use the instructions and the pattern
        shapes
        > to help you drape your muslin in a smaller size.

        Well that's kind of what I thought I might have to do....

        > BTW, don't forget to make a fun set of underpinnings -- at least a
        > chemise, bloomers and a petticoat. Decorate it with bits of ribbon
        and
        > she can use them also as a separate costume. Victorian undies are
        > always fun.
        >
        > -Cat-

        What a great and fun idea! Will do that, she will love it.

        Kelli
      • maethoriel_jasmine
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 7, 2008
          --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Melody Watts <hobbitmomof4@...> wrote:

          > Have you checked the Burda line of patterns? I recall seeing a new
          1890's bustle type dress in their costume section. it is shown made up
          in a cotton fabric, pink solid & floral ,if i remember, but it probably
          would look lovely made up in velvets or satin.
          > here's the addy:
          > http://www.sewingpatterns.com/index-burda.html

          OH, I LOVE THAT PATTERN!!! Thank you thank you, I would have never
          thought to look at Burda, (bad me)...That is exactly what I was looking
          for. She will get lost in mutton sleeves, the sleeves on that are
          perfect. I love it....I can see making a parasol to go with it!

          Kelli
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 7, 2008

            >>What a great and fun idea! Will do that, she will love it.

            Make them on elastic instead of draw strings, so their easier. I
            decorate with insertion lace. You probably don't want to make her a
            full corset... just a pretty chemese... but if you do, just lace
            loosly. You want to just shape. I put my sister w/ scoliosis in on,
            and you bet I laced lightely. Still gave her clean lines.

            However, if you go for a ladies style, you do need a corset, or bone
            the bodice to heck, which is almost the same thing, without the fun
            extra piece.
            .
            Also the good thing about making the underpinnings, she can wear them
            with other stuff... like some of the Anime fun stuff as well.
            Soooooooooo, very useful.

            -Cat-
          • Melody Watts
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 8, 2008
              You are welcome, We do Dicken's fest here in so. calif. and the hoops can get in the way of a lot of people, so i was looking for an alternative myself.please do post a picture of your niece in the dress and a review of pattern ease of construction ,etc. I 'd like to know.
              best, Melody