Re: Stardust: Yvaine's Stardust gown

  • darth_eagle
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 1, 2007
      "Sarah" <sarahstrong13@...> wrote:
      > yes, there is a kind of folded back cuff. It's still the right side
      of
      > the fabric, so either it's self lined, at least for some of the bell,
      > or there's a very deep hem, the sewing for which is concealed behind
      > the folded back part.

      Okay then. -__^ Guess if no new info pop up by the time I get this
      dress done, will have the sleeves self-lined. Anyway, I'm planning to
      have the whole dress lined anyway (rest will be with Pongee) as I tend
      to sweat a lot some times (and Satin seems to show it easily @__@ )

      > It looks like the sleeve fits quite close at the shoulder, well up
      > into the armpit, has a little extra fullness at the elbow, and then
      > much more at the wrist.

      Roger on that! -__^

      Anyway, reading Cat's post again about the Princess Seams and Gores in
      the dress, I really saw those gores now. Was wondering why the side
      seams seems to be so front before that. o__O

      Fatimah
    • darth_eagle
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 8, 2007
        Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote:
        > There are long triangle gores inserted at each seam. You don't need
        > pattern for those, just punt, they're easy. (Anyone got a good
        medieval
        > link for skirt gores??? ) They start at low hip:

        Just noticed this question when I try to trace the gores on some of
        the photos of the costume.

        Are they just located between the Princess Seams OR also between the
        Side Seams?

        I thot I spy a Gore on the picture of her lying down:
        http://www.costumersguide.com/stardust/silver2.jpg

        Thanks! ^__^

        Fatimah
      • Perseus85@aol.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 9, 2007
          http://www.costumersguide.com/stardust/silver2.jpg

          If you look at the same picture just noted about the gores, you can see that the lower sleeve as actually a separate cuff that's just been folded in half and attached. if that makes sense. Looks to be 3-4 inches wide and that's why you would see the face of the fabric on the inside. Don't know if this has been figured out or not, just know that it had been questioned.

          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 9, 2007
            --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "darth_eagle" <darth_eagle@...>
            wrote:

            > Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@> wrote:
            > > There are long triangle gores inserted at each seam. You don't
            need
            > > pattern for those, just punt, they're easy. (Anyone got a good
            > medieval
            > > link for skirt gores??? ) They start at low hip:
            >

            > Just noticed this question when I try to trace the gores on some of
            > the photos of the costume.
            >
            > Are they just located between the Princess Seams OR also between
            the
            > Side Seams?
            >
            > I thot I spy a Gore on the picture of her lying down:
            > http://www.costumersguide.com/stardust/silver2.jpg
            >
            > Thanks! ^__^
            >
            > Fatimah

            That is a gore alright placed in the princess seam. Hard to tell the
            shap of the gore, but since it is going into two straight seams the
            gore could be an isocelies triangle.

            I do not find them so easy to insert when they are placed in front
            and back without a CF or CB seam. The Bias makes for beautiful drape
            and a "swishy" skirt.

            Even so, one has to be very careful at the very top to get everything
            lined up just right. I find hand sewing give me much more control.

            I looked high and low for a good web site to help me when doing gores
            for the first time and there is some very bad advise out there. I
            guess I should make up a page on my site, since I had so much trouble.

            faye
            www.simbelmyne.us

            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 9, 2007
              >>I do not find them so easy to insert when they are placed in front
              and back without a CF or CB seam. Even so, one has to be very careful at
              the very top to get everything lined up just right. I find hand sewing
              give me much more control.

              Those goes are tough to stick in. On the web, you have to be careful, a
              lot of the gore instructions are for underarm gores... and those go in
              differently because they're not weight bearing.

              For the long skirt gores... you have to be very careful from the point
              of even cutting the gores because the fabric will stretch and wrinkle.
              Stick in skirt goes from top to bottom, skipping the top 1/2 to1".
              You're right, that's the part that's best to put in by hand. I don't
              secure the very top of the gore at all. In the skirts in Eragon those
              inserted gores actually have a bit of a round top point. That's
              probably from someone sewing up one and down the other quickly... but
              that skirt doesn't have the same gravity issue that the Stardust gown does.

              And as always, your millage may vary, because there are other methods...
              but it's what works right for your fabric and the positioning.

              -Cat-
            • darth_eagle
              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 10, 2007
                "faye" <tongarii@...> wrote:
                > That is a gore alright placed in the princess seam. Hard to tell
                the
                > shap of the gore, but since it is going into two straight seams the
                > gore could be an isocelies triangle.

                Hmmm...but is there also Gores along the Side Seams? I thot it looks
                like it in that picture too.

                http://www.costumersguide.com/stardust/silver2.jpg

                Fatimah
              • Sarah
                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 10, 2007
                  yes, that photo shows a pretty big gore set into the side seam.
                  Because of the way the dress is arranged, it's hard to see if there is
                  also a gore in the princess seam.

                  --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "darth_eagle" <darth_eagle@...> wrote:
                  > Hmmm...but is there also Gores along the Side Seams? I thot it looks
                  > like it in that picture too.
                  >
                  > http://www.costumersguide.com/stardust/silver2.jpg
                  >
                  > Fatimah

                • Sarah
                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 10, 2007
                    I must be weird, because I don't have that much trouble with gores...
                    it's always easier to set them into a seam than a slit, but... a
                    little planning is helpful of course. With a slinky fabric (like this
                    dress) it's going to be necessary to hang-pin, so the bias edge of the
                    gore gets a chance to relax before it's sewn to the straight, or
                    straighter, edge of the dress piece. If the dress piece is flared too,
                    it also needs to relax.
                    One thing I find helpful in getting the three seams to actually meet
                    at the top of the gore, is to sew the seam above the gore first, to
                    the point where the gore begins, and backstitch. Then sew the gore in
                    so that you can see that backstitched end... and sew towards it...
                    (visualizing as hard as I can) I think that means sewing up from the
                    hem with the gore underneath the dress, so that this second seam meets
                    the first one at the back stitching. Then when you make the third
                    seam, ideally also from the hem up (wider to narrower, remember from
                    home ec class, one of the few things I learned there!), you can see
                    the tip of the second seam.
                    In other words, say you're setting a gore into a right side seam like
                    in the photo, you sew the side seam first, then the back to the gore,
                    then the front to the gore. (taxing my powers of turning things inside
                    out in my head!)
                  • darth_eagle
                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 12, 2007
                      "Sarah" <sarahstrong13@...> wrote:
                      > Because of the way the dress is arranged, it's hard to see if there
                      > is also a gore in the princess seam.

                      Oh! The Princess Seam Gore can be seen here -__^
                      http://www.costumersguide.com/stardust/silver1.jpg

                      I think it can also be seen here, right beside her Left Hand.
                      http://www.costumersguide.com/stardust/silver10.jpg

                      Btw, while watching the Movie a 2nd time yesterday (a friend's
                      treat :D ), I notice that there are Shoulder Seams on the Raglan
                      Sleeves, to allow them to sit better on the shoulder.

                      As for that Sleeves Hem, could it be just folded over and maybe tack
                      down near the top? Cause in certain scenes, I thot I spy the lower
                      part "unfolding" giving the Hem a weird look.

                      Fatimah
                    • Sarah
                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 13, 2007
                        --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "darth_eagle" <darth_eagle@...> wrote:

                        > "Sarah" <sarahstrong13@> wrote:
                        > > Because of the way the dress is arranged, it's hard to see if there
                        > > is also a gore in the princess seam.
                        >

                        > Oh! The Princess Seam Gore can be seen here -__^
                        > http://www.costumersguide.com/stardust/silver1.jpg

                        It sure is! that's a great picture, you can also see how the center
                        front panel is on the bias, while the side fronts are on the straight
                        grain.
                        I do not know how they keep that sleeve cuff/hem thing up, it stays
                        put and doesn't look stiff, but not a stitch shows on the top layer of
                        fabric, and that silk satin isn't spongy=thick enough to hide a stitch
                        inside the fabric the way wool would be. Some kind of interfacing?
                      • darth_eagle
                        Message 11 of 30 , Nov 24, 2007
                          "Sarah" <sarahstrong13@...> wrote:
                          > It sure is! that's a great picture, you can also see how the center
                          > front panel is on the bias, while the side fronts are on the straight
                          > grain.

                          Woh! Like that I wonder how much of cloths I should be getting cause
                          it won't be me sewing it (not yet but hopefully after this gown, I can
                          start sewing my own) -__^

                          Well, hope 8m is more than enough for me. -__^

                          Fatimah
                        • Sarah
                          Message 12 of 30 , Nov 24, 2007
                            The best way to do a yardage estimate for something like this is
                            really to do the test garment first, using something similar to the
                            fashion fabric but really cheap. Then when you have the pattern
                            totally worked out, you can lay out the pieces as if you were laying
                            out on fabric and see how far it goes. The bias pieces really make it
                            hard to estimate the way you could on an all-straight grain garment.

                            Tip for cutting something really wiggly like charmeuse (satin probably
                            has more body, I don't know): first lay down a layer of tissue paper
                            big enough to support the whole width of your fabric. (I use old
                            pattern tissue since I happen to have a lot of it and can sacrifice it
                            for this. You can glue-stick together lots of white giftwrapping
                            tissue, or at the next dollar pattern sale pick up a couple of really
                            fat ones, like bridal patterns, and use that.) Pin the fabric to the
                            tissue to keep the lengthwise and crosswise grains really straight.
                            Lay the pattern pieces on top of the fabric and pin the bejeezus out
                            of all three layers, so the fabric is firmly sandwiched between the
                            tissue papers, when you are cutting. Then leave the fabric so
                            sandwiched until you are ready to sew with that piece.

                            --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "darth_eagle" <darth_eagle@...> wrote:
                            > I wonder how much of cloths I should be getting cause
                            > it won't be me sewing it (not yet but hopefully after this gown, I can
                            > start sewing my own) -__^
                            >
                            > Well, hope 8m is more than enough for me. -__^
                            >
                            > Fatimah

                          • Erin
                            Message 13 of 30 , Nov 26, 2007
                              Then leave the fabric so
                              > sandwiched until you are ready to sew with that piece.

                              And if your pattern paper and bottom paper are thin enough, I would
                              actually keep it on while sewing and you can just rip it off later.
                              Makes it much easier sewing wise.

                              Earendil
                            • Sarah
                              Message 14 of 30 , Nov 26, 2007
                                that's a great point, especially if you've cut single layers and it's
                                stuff that you need to keep in shape (like sleeves and bodices) If
                                it's the long skirt pieces with the bias edges you might need to
                                hang-pin them if its something slithery like charmeuse.

                                --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Erin" <Eponine_80@...> wrote:

                                > Then leave the fabric so
                                > > sandwiched until you are ready to sew with that piece.
                                >
                                > And if your pattern paper and bottom paper are thin enough, I would
                                > actually keep it on while sewing and you can just rip it off later.
                                > Makes it much easier sewing wise.
                                >
                                > Earendil

                              • lemony68
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 22, 2007
                                  Hi Everyone! This is my first post so bear with me!
                                  On
                                  http://www.propstore.com/product-Yvaine-The-Star-s--Claire-Danes--Dress.htm
                                  they are actually selling the dress! I'd buy it if I had the money!
                                  There's some really nice close ups' of the gown! Hope this helps! I
                                  may add them to the gallery!
                                  Love
                                  Anna
                                  xx
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 22, 2007

                                    <http://www.propstore.com/product-Yvaine-The-Star-s--Claire-Danes--Dress.htm
                                    <http://www.propstore.com/product-Yvaine-The-Star-s--Claire-Danes--Dress.htm>>

                                    Wow!!!!!! There's the seams everyone - wide center panels, slightly
                                    weird sleeves. YEA!

                                    Thanks for posting the link.

                                    -Cat-
                                  • darth_eagle
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 30, 2007
                                      Heehee.....now I am counting my blessings for not getting my dress
                                      done yet. -__^

                                      These photos really show more things about the dress and a possible
                                      hint to how the Sleeves Cuff was done.

                                      *Gone off to print out the new photos on Photo Quality Papers* -__^

                                      Fatimah

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 30, 2007
                                        >>Heehee.....now I am counting my blessings for not getting my dress
                                        done yet. -__^ These photos really show more things about the dress
                                        and a possible
                                        hint to how the Sleeves Cuff was done.

                                        It's just what ya needed for the pattern! The DVD is out, but I don't
                                        have my copy yet.... but I'm not sure what else you'd need beyond what
                                        we can see here. It's great in it's simplicity.

                                        -Cat-
                                      • Sarah
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 30, 2007
                                          it looks to me like the cuff is a sort of wide (bias?) band extending
                                          the sleeve and clean finishing it. in this group of pictures it hangs
                                          down, while in the film it was folded back on itself, hiding the seam.

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jan 1, 2008
                                            "Sarah" <sarahstrong13@...> wrote:
                                            > it looks to me like the cuff is a sort of wide (bias?) band extending
                                            > the sleeve and clean finishing it. in this group of pictures it hangs
                                            > down, while in the film it was folded back on itself, hiding the seam.

                                            Hmmmmm...so in order to create it, one have to do a very wide Bias Tape
                                            like piece, and sew it to the cuff of the sleeves like how we do with
                                            Bias Tape, except not binding the "raw edges" completely like how we
                                            usually do with Bias Tape?

                                            Fatimah
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jan 1, 2008
                                              >>Hmmmmm...so in order to create it, one have to do a very wide Bias Tape
                                              like piece, and sew it to the cuff of the sleeves like how we do with
                                              Bias Tape, except not binding the "raw edges" completely like how we
                                              usually do with Bias Tape?

                                              Well, the only reason to have a raw seam showing is for short cuts.
                                              You can still give it the same treatment, but instead, turn that last
                                              edge under, use those little between needles for fine stiches and
                                              stitch-in-a-ditch to finish with no seams. You're not making 12
                                              copies of the same dress to handle shooting and stunts nor going to
                                              treat it that rough.

                                              -Cat-
                                            • bleupirate@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 1, 2008
                                                Hi all! I'm new here. :) Glad to see the discussion about Stardust. I've
                                                been trying to find some good picture of the coat Tristan wears after he leaves
                                                the pirate ship...the white one with the brown collar. I've only been able
                                                to find one. Any suggestion? :)

                                              • Sarah
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jan 1, 2008
                                                  We've all admired this! :) Look back in the messages, it won't be that
                                                  far. I know folks found pix and had pattern ideas.
                                                  welcome!