Re: Wings and things -- wings patterns

  • Jadzia Dax
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 6 9:46 AM
      > Pierre & Sandy Pettinger wrote:
      > > But really, how big can you make these wings with the legs of
      > > pantyhose? I 'wear' queen size panty hose, and can barely get them
      > > to go around me. I would look silly in tiny wings - I need ones at
      > > least 4 feet x 2 feet to a side. Maybe bigger.

      When I decided I wanted big wings, I cut out pieces of organza and
      glued them to my frame, then whip-stitched over that. It took a long
      time because I put fabric on both sides of each wing, but I was fairly
      pleased with the result:

      http://cosplay.maltellumaiel.net/costumes/raspberryfaerie/raspfaerie16.jpg

      I will say, forget taping the frame joints. It doesn't hold worth
      beans. I bought a little desert torch and some plumbing solder and
      soldered my frame.

      Jadzia
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 6 10:59 AM
        Pierre & Sandy Pettinger wrote:
        > But really, how big can you make these wings with the legs of
        > pantyhose? I 'wear' queen size panty hose, and can barely get them
        > to go around me. I would look silly in tiny wings - I need ones at
        > least 4 feet x 2 feet to a side. Maybe bigger.

        Sandy, I saw someone at CostumeCon a couple of years ago who had wings
        done with pantyhose - They were fairly big sized wings! What I thought
        was really fascinating was the the wire framing did a lot of dips and
        tucks in, and the way the pantyhose worked with it wa to create darker
        shaded areas. Very cool.

        -Judy
      • rebekahmcampbell
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 7 8:02 AM
          I've made lots of wings using the wire/electrical tape/pantyhose
          method. I used the cheap knee-hi stockings from Wal-mart that come
          in a plethora of colors and can get a wing span of a good 6 feet from
          wingtip to wing tip. If you use a larger size stocking I'm sure you
          could get a larger wing span. Just remember to use something that is
          NOT a support hose; those tend to distort your wing shape (although
          they can make for some interesting shapes...) I like to burn holes
          into the wings with an incense stick (light the tip, blow it out and
          carefully burn through the pantyhose with the smoldering end) then
          paint or glitter and jewel using Mod Podge or glue on flowers or
          decorate however, electrical tape the pieces together, bend to the
          angle you want and there you have a pair of wings for very little
          investment. The nice thing with the colored pantyhose is that if you
          use Mod Podge to apply iridescent, clear glitter to the wings, the
          nylon color shows through and you can get a real delicate look. Have
          fun!

          From,
          Rebekah in Idaho (where we have a good couple inches of snow already)

          p.s. Judy, hope you're recovering well from your surgery. Thank you
          for all your hard work and effort on our behalf!

          p.s.#2 About the wing span; my niece wore her wings to high school
          for halloween 2 years running (same pair and they're still going
          strong) and they made her take them off in class because the kids
          that sat behind her couldn't see past her)

          -- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Pierre & Sandy Pettinger

          page=section/classroom/sewprojects/wings/wings.cfm>http://www.simplici
          ty.com/index.cfm?page=section/classroom/sewprojects/wings/wings.cfm

          > >Have fun.
          > >
          > >-Cat-
          >
          > "Those Who Fail To Learn History
          > Are Doomed to Repeat It;
          > Those Who Fail To Learn History Correctly --
          > Why They Are Simply Doomed.
          >
          > Achemdro'hm
          > "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
          > -- C.Y. 4971
          >
          > Andromeda

        • Brian Jeffrey
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 7 8:47 AM
            I wish I had pics to attach, but I have seen some pretty nice light weight wings done out of FOSSHAPE. You heat activate the material with a costume steamer and or a steam iron. The FS can be painted, cold water dyed etc. and comes 45" wide that you purchase by the linear yard. More info on the Dazian Fabrics website www.dazian.com or check out Dani's Cosplay Supplies www.cosplaysupplies.com. I have some 3"x6" free swatches available if anyone is interested to experiment a little.....just email me directly with a mailing address.

            Thermoman