Re: Adam Ant's 11th Hussar Jacket

  • A. Thurman
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 13 6:43 AM
      On 13 Sep 2007 13:21:28 -0000, F-Costume@yahoogroups.com
      <F-Costume@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > Re: Adam Ant's 11th Hussar Jacket ...a small spark of an idea comes
      > Posted by: "Melody Watts" hobbitmomof4@... hobbitmomof4
      > Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:54 pm (PST)
      > Thanks the pix's are great. (oh to be young again) he was SUCH eye candy.Do I see the germ for Jack Sparrow's countenance in Adam's whole persona, eye make up, wrist rag,beads and braids in hair ?

      Yes, you ABSOLUTELY do - and Keith Richards and any number of 60s
      "peacock" rockstars before that! I would wager that Sparrow tends to
      lurch around far more than Ant ever did..

      Personally I'm loving the pirate/dandy revival!

      Allison T.
    • A. Thurman
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 13 6:47 AM
        > Re: Adam Ant's 11th Hussar Jacket ...a small spark of an idea comes
        > Posted by: "Melody Watts" hobbitmomof4@... hobbitmomof4
        > Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:54 pm (PST)
        > Thanks the pix's are great. (oh to be young again) he was SUCH eye candy.Do I see the germ for Jack Sparrow's countenance in Adam's whole persona, eye make up, wrist rag,beads and braids in hair ?

        Yes, you ABSOLUTELY do - and Keith Richards and any number of 60s
        "peacock" rockstars before that! I would wager that Sparrow tends to
        lurch around far more than Ant ever did..

        Personally I'm loving the pirate/dandy revival!

        Allison T.
      • dubh_sidh1
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 14 7:04 AM
          Personally, I believe Adam to be the godfather of the modern day
          pirate movement :D "Hoist the Jolly Roger" and all that :D There's
          no way one can look at Jack Sparrow without giving homage to Adam.
          The costume designer must be an Ant fan.

          Anyway, I am not sure about the Civil War reenactment vendors having
          a jacket shell in this cut, much less in black. I'll have a look
          around the net, but I'm not going to hold my breath. The jacket shell
          is pretty much all I would need though... except for the buttons. I
          actually have some trim that looks to be a passable stand in for the
          braid used on the jacket. The actual military braid is a bit steep in
          cost no matter who sells it. However, at the moment, I am basically
          looking at a time frame where having the jacket shell custom made is
          running out. That's pretty much why I'd just settle for the waistcoat
          for now. I am still looking for domed buttons. Oy. The waistcoat
          would need silver-toned. The jacket would need either brass or
          gold-toned. Heck, I don't even know what kind of material his
          waistcoat is made of. Any ideas? This is going to be an adventure no
          matter which path it goes.

          Dubh

          --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Melody Watts <hobbitmomof4@...> wrote:

          > Thanks the pix's are great. (oh to be young again) he was SUCH eye
          candy.Do I see the germ for Jack Sparrow's countenance in Adam's
          whole persona, eye make up, wrist rag,beads and braids in hair ?
          > A passing thought, I wonder if any of the Civil War re enactment
          vendors carry a wool shell jacket in this cut? Since the various
          troops across the North & South outfitted themselves ,no standard
          uniform ,many adapted the "Dandy-er "looks from Europe.
          > If a shell jacket could be found ,at a reasonable price, the
          investment in the braid and buttons wouldn't be too horrific , would it?
          > Might be an idea trail to follow....
          > Let me know if you have any luck in this dept.
          > Melody
        • SoldierGrrrl
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 14 8:32 AM
            On 9/14/07, dubh_sidh1 <Dubh_Sidh@...> wrote:

            > Anyway, I am not sure about the Civil War reenactment vendors having
            > a jacket shell in this cut, much less in black. I'll have a look
            > around the net, but I'm not going to hold my breath. The jacket shell
            > is pretty much all I would need though...

            I'm making a Hussars for my husband, using a Simplicity pattern from
            the costume section. It's one of the ACW patterns, and I simply left
            off the bottom extension. Hang on...

            This one! http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4745.htm?tab=costumes&page=5

            If you use the single-breasted pattern and leave off the skirting, it
            works really really well. I'm using the medium for the pelisse and
            the small for the dolman. The seams up the back are great for fitting
            and it's really easy to make. John's is out of a blue wool that I
            washed several times in the hottest water I could.

            http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4864.htm?tab=costumes&page=4

            This one might work as well, if you skip the wings and the waist treatment. :-)

            except for the buttons. I
            > actually have some trim that looks to be a passable stand in for the
            > braid used on the jacket. The actual military braid is a bit steep in
            > cost no matter who sells it. However, at the moment, I am basically
            > looking at a time frame where having the jacket shell custom made is
            > running out. That's pretty much why I'd just settle for the waistcoat
            > for now. I am still looking for domed buttons. Oy. The waistcoat
            > would need silver-toned. The jacket would need either brass or
            > gold-toned. Heck, I don't even know what kind of material his
            > waistcoat is made of. Any ideas? This is going to be an adventure no
            > matter which path it goes.

            If you find more sources for buttons, as well as a braid placement
            pattern (how they made it go back and forth and back and forth and on
            and on without cutting) please pass it on!

            --
            Blonde. It's not just a hair color; it's a way of life.

            http://soldiergrrrl.livejournal.com/
          • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 14 9:01 PM
              Someone on another list was also looking for buttons, and got this
              list of sources in reply:

              <http://www.danforthpewter.com/personal-buttons.html>http://www.danforthpewter.com/personal-buttons.html
              http://www.buttonshoppe.com/
              http://www.landofodds.com
              <http://www.knitwitts.com/category/Buttons/c53>http://www.knitwitts.com/category/Buttons/c53
              http://www.srfabrics.com/buttons/button.htm
              <http://www.firegoddess.com/Pewter-Buttons.html>http://www.firegoddess.com/Pewter-Buttons.html

              Hope this helps!

              Sandy

              At 09:04 AM 9/14/2007, you wrote:
              > The jacket shell is pretty much all I would need though... except
              > for the buttons. I
              >actually have some trim that looks to be a passable stand in for the
              >braid used on the jacket. The actual military braid is a bit steep in
              >cost no matter who sells it. However, at the moment, I am basically
              >looking at a time frame where having the jacket shell custom made is
              >running out. That's pretty much why I'd just settle for the waistcoat
              >for now. I am still looking for domed buttons. Oy. The waistcoat
              >would need silver-toned. The jacket would need either brass or
              >gold-toned.
              >
              >Dubh

              "Those Who Fail To Learn History
              Are Doomed to Repeat It;
              Why They Are Simply Doomed.

              Achemdro'hm
              "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
              -- C.Y. 4971

              Andromeda
            • Melody Watts
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 14 10:04 PM
                this is such an "interesting" idea line.... I found some neat info on wikipedia..
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hussar#The_Hussar_Image
                it has bits on the origins and the uniforms (they even had a "pink Dolman jacket" unit) .
                It also has a description of their hairdo's- plaits over the temple area and a queue down the back (Sparrow anyone?)
                if you blow up the paintings you can see some of the braid placement. the green jacket guy's looks like its one loop per botton area ,just run close,horiziontaly, edge to edge and terminating with the little "tufts" at the ends on the strands,towards the armpits, much like the portraits of Queen Elizabeth I in her "Polish" dress.
                while I was perusing E bay I found this:
                http://cgi.ebay.com/Civil-War-Mens-Union-Infantry-Wool-Shell-Jacket-Size-36_W0QQitemZ260111203793QQihZ016QQcategoryZ125474QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
                looks fairly close and the lady selling this sews them herself and is open to special orders and she uses wool.
                An idea on the braid, as i was driving into work, thinking, i had the idea if you know how to do 5 or 7 loop fingerlooping (SCA craft- ez to learn ) you could produce miles of braid any size and color for the price of the thread or cording.(directions are also avilable on the net)
                As for the buttons you can buy in bulk, i got a good deal (again on e bay) from a seller under the name "Pomegranate Costume Supply" shes in So Calif. but i got 5/8' domed buttons-metal in an antiqued bronze color, $16.00 for 48 buttons, (i'm building a Pirate Justacorpe -someday) i'm sure she has other shinny ones too.
                well kids that my news and idea for the night, please continue to share any ideas or finds,
                Melody

                SoldierGrrrl <soldier.grrrl@...> wrote:
                On 9/14/07, dubh_sidh1 <Dubh_Sidh@...> wrote:

                > Anyway, I am not sure about the Civil War reenactment vendors having
                > a jacket shell in this cut, much less in black. I'll have a look
                > around the net, but I'm not going to hold my breath. The jacket shell
                > is pretty much all I would need though...

                I'm making a Hussars for my husband, using a Simplicity pattern from
                the costume section. It's one of the ACW patterns, and I simply left
                off the bottom extension. Hang on...

                This one! http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4745.htm?tab=costumes&page=5

                If you use the single-breasted pattern and leave off the skirting, it
                works really really well. I'm using the medium for the pelisse and
                the small for the dolman. The seams up the back are great for fitting
                and it's really easy to make. John's is out of a blue wool that I
                washed several times in the hottest water I could.

                http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4864.htm?tab=costumes&page=4

                This one might work as well, if you skip the wings and the waist treatment. :-)

                except for the buttons. I
                > actually have some trim that looks to be a passable stand in for the
                > braid used on the jacket. The actual military braid is a bit steep in
                > cost no matter who sells it. However, at the moment, I am basically
                > looking at a time frame where having the jacket shell custom made is
                > running out. That's pretty much why I'd just settle for the waistcoat
                > for now. I am still looking for domed buttons. Oy. The waistcoat
                > would need silver-toned. The jacket would need either brass or
                > gold-toned. Heck, I don't even know what kind of material his
                > waistcoat is made of. Any ideas? This is going to be an adventure no
                > matter which path it goes.

                If you find more sources for buttons, as well as a braid placement
                pattern (how they made it go back and forth and back and forth and on
                and on without cutting) please pass it on!

                --
                Blonde. It's not just a hair color; it's a way of life.

                http://soldiergrrrl.livejournal.com/

                " But, WHY, is the Rum all gone?"