Re: Adam Ant's 11th Hussar Jacket

  • Sarah
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 13, 2007
      well, i have to say after looking at the photos in the album, four
      figures doesn't sound too far off with all the construction and
      decoration, that's a *lot* of hand work. If you can find a jacket that
      will work (heck, even an old tuxedo rental that you can change the
      hemline on, it will be so covered with braid nobody will know what it
      used to be!) and are willing to do the handwork, the braid will add
      up, but not to four figures.

      --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "dubh_sidh1" <Dubh_Sidh@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Oh um... hmmm. Well, I was *going* to have someone make the jacket
      > for me since it is beyond my skills. They quoted me a price and I
      > nearly lost my Raisin Bran. I was prepared to pay a little over
      > halfway in the three digit range, but they threw a four digit number
      > at me :( [snip]
    • A. Thurman
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 13, 2007
        On 13 Sep 2007 13:21:28 -0000, F-Costume@yahoogroups.com
        <F-Costume@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > Re: Adam Ant's 11th Hussar Jacket ...a small spark of an idea comes
        > Posted by: "Melody Watts" hobbitmomof4@... hobbitmomof4
        > Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:54 pm (PST)
        > Thanks the pix's are great. (oh to be young again) he was SUCH eye candy.Do I see the germ for Jack Sparrow's countenance in Adam's whole persona, eye make up, wrist rag,beads and braids in hair ?

        Yes, you ABSOLUTELY do - and Keith Richards and any number of 60s
        "peacock" rockstars before that! I would wager that Sparrow tends to
        lurch around far more than Ant ever did..

        Personally I'm loving the pirate/dandy revival!

        Allison T.
      • A. Thurman
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 13, 2007
          > Re: Adam Ant's 11th Hussar Jacket ...a small spark of an idea comes
          > Posted by: "Melody Watts" hobbitmomof4@... hobbitmomof4
          > Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:54 pm (PST)
          > Thanks the pix's are great. (oh to be young again) he was SUCH eye candy.Do I see the germ for Jack Sparrow's countenance in Adam's whole persona, eye make up, wrist rag,beads and braids in hair ?

          Yes, you ABSOLUTELY do - and Keith Richards and any number of 60s
          "peacock" rockstars before that! I would wager that Sparrow tends to
          lurch around far more than Ant ever did..

          Personally I'm loving the pirate/dandy revival!

          Allison T.
        • dubh_sidh1
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 14, 2007
            Personally, I believe Adam to be the godfather of the modern day
            pirate movement :D "Hoist the Jolly Roger" and all that :D There's
            no way one can look at Jack Sparrow without giving homage to Adam.
            The costume designer must be an Ant fan.

            Anyway, I am not sure about the Civil War reenactment vendors having
            a jacket shell in this cut, much less in black. I'll have a look
            around the net, but I'm not going to hold my breath. The jacket shell
            is pretty much all I would need though... except for the buttons. I
            actually have some trim that looks to be a passable stand in for the
            braid used on the jacket. The actual military braid is a bit steep in
            cost no matter who sells it. However, at the moment, I am basically
            looking at a time frame where having the jacket shell custom made is
            running out. That's pretty much why I'd just settle for the waistcoat
            for now. I am still looking for domed buttons. Oy. The waistcoat
            would need silver-toned. The jacket would need either brass or
            gold-toned. Heck, I don't even know what kind of material his
            waistcoat is made of. Any ideas? This is going to be an adventure no
            matter which path it goes.

            Dubh

            --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Melody Watts <hobbitmomof4@...> wrote:

            > Thanks the pix's are great. (oh to be young again) he was SUCH eye
            candy.Do I see the germ for Jack Sparrow's countenance in Adam's
            whole persona, eye make up, wrist rag,beads and braids in hair ?
            > A passing thought, I wonder if any of the Civil War re enactment
            vendors carry a wool shell jacket in this cut? Since the various
            troops across the North & South outfitted themselves ,no standard
            uniform ,many adapted the "Dandy-er "looks from Europe.
            > If a shell jacket could be found ,at a reasonable price, the
            investment in the braid and buttons wouldn't be too horrific , would it?
            > Might be an idea trail to follow....
            > Let me know if you have any luck in this dept.
            > Melody
          • SoldierGrrrl
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 14, 2007
              On 9/14/07, dubh_sidh1 <Dubh_Sidh@...> wrote:

              > Anyway, I am not sure about the Civil War reenactment vendors having
              > a jacket shell in this cut, much less in black. I'll have a look
              > around the net, but I'm not going to hold my breath. The jacket shell
              > is pretty much all I would need though...

              I'm making a Hussars for my husband, using a Simplicity pattern from
              the costume section. It's one of the ACW patterns, and I simply left
              off the bottom extension. Hang on...

              This one! http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4745.htm?tab=costumes&page=5

              If you use the single-breasted pattern and leave off the skirting, it
              works really really well. I'm using the medium for the pelisse and
              the small for the dolman. The seams up the back are great for fitting
              and it's really easy to make. John's is out of a blue wool that I
              washed several times in the hottest water I could.

              http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4864.htm?tab=costumes&page=4

              This one might work as well, if you skip the wings and the waist treatment. :-)

              except for the buttons. I
              > actually have some trim that looks to be a passable stand in for the
              > braid used on the jacket. The actual military braid is a bit steep in
              > cost no matter who sells it. However, at the moment, I am basically
              > looking at a time frame where having the jacket shell custom made is
              > running out. That's pretty much why I'd just settle for the waistcoat
              > for now. I am still looking for domed buttons. Oy. The waistcoat
              > would need silver-toned. The jacket would need either brass or
              > gold-toned. Heck, I don't even know what kind of material his
              > waistcoat is made of. Any ideas? This is going to be an adventure no
              > matter which path it goes.

              If you find more sources for buttons, as well as a braid placement
              pattern (how they made it go back and forth and back and forth and on
              and on without cutting) please pass it on!

              --
              Blonde. It's not just a hair color; it's a way of life.

              http://soldiergrrrl.livejournal.com/
            • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 14, 2007
                Someone on another list was also looking for buttons, and got this
                list of sources in reply:

                <http://www.danforthpewter.com/personal-buttons.html>http://www.danforthpewter.com/personal-buttons.html
                http://www.buttonshoppe.com/
                http://www.landofodds.com
                <http://www.knitwitts.com/category/Buttons/c53>http://www.knitwitts.com/category/Buttons/c53
                http://www.srfabrics.com/buttons/button.htm
                <http://www.firegoddess.com/Pewter-Buttons.html>http://www.firegoddess.com/Pewter-Buttons.html

                Hope this helps!

                Sandy

                At 09:04 AM 9/14/2007, you wrote:
                > The jacket shell is pretty much all I would need though... except
                > for the buttons. I
                >actually have some trim that looks to be a passable stand in for the
                >braid used on the jacket. The actual military braid is a bit steep in
                >cost no matter who sells it. However, at the moment, I am basically
                >looking at a time frame where having the jacket shell custom made is
                >running out. That's pretty much why I'd just settle for the waistcoat
                >for now. I am still looking for domed buttons. Oy. The waistcoat
                >would need silver-toned. The jacket would need either brass or
                >gold-toned.
                >
                >Dubh

                "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                Why They Are Simply Doomed.

                Achemdro'hm
                "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
                -- C.Y. 4971

                Andromeda
              • Melody Watts
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 14, 2007
                  this is such an "interesting" idea line.... I found some neat info on wikipedia..
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hussar#The_Hussar_Image
                  it has bits on the origins and the uniforms (they even had a "pink Dolman jacket" unit) .
                  It also has a description of their hairdo's- plaits over the temple area and a queue down the back (Sparrow anyone?)
                  if you blow up the paintings you can see some of the braid placement. the green jacket guy's looks like its one loop per botton area ,just run close,horiziontaly, edge to edge and terminating with the little "tufts" at the ends on the strands,towards the armpits, much like the portraits of Queen Elizabeth I in her "Polish" dress.
                  while I was perusing E bay I found this:
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/Civil-War-Mens-Union-Infantry-Wool-Shell-Jacket-Size-36_W0QQitemZ260111203793QQihZ016QQcategoryZ125474QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
                  looks fairly close and the lady selling this sews them herself and is open to special orders and she uses wool.
                  An idea on the braid, as i was driving into work, thinking, i had the idea if you know how to do 5 or 7 loop fingerlooping (SCA craft- ez to learn ) you could produce miles of braid any size and color for the price of the thread or cording.(directions are also avilable on the net)
                  As for the buttons you can buy in bulk, i got a good deal (again on e bay) from a seller under the name "Pomegranate Costume Supply" shes in So Calif. but i got 5/8' domed buttons-metal in an antiqued bronze color, $16.00 for 48 buttons, (i'm building a Pirate Justacorpe -someday) i'm sure she has other shinny ones too.
                  well kids that my news and idea for the night, please continue to share any ideas or finds,
                  Melody

                  SoldierGrrrl <soldier.grrrl@...> wrote:
                  On 9/14/07, dubh_sidh1 <Dubh_Sidh@...> wrote:

                  > Anyway, I am not sure about the Civil War reenactment vendors having
                  > a jacket shell in this cut, much less in black. I'll have a look
                  > around the net, but I'm not going to hold my breath. The jacket shell
                  > is pretty much all I would need though...

                  I'm making a Hussars for my husband, using a Simplicity pattern from
                  the costume section. It's one of the ACW patterns, and I simply left
                  off the bottom extension. Hang on...

                  This one! http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4745.htm?tab=costumes&page=5

                  If you use the single-breasted pattern and leave off the skirting, it
                  works really really well. I'm using the medium for the pelisse and
                  the small for the dolman. The seams up the back are great for fitting
                  and it's really easy to make. John's is out of a blue wool that I
                  washed several times in the hottest water I could.

                  http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4864.htm?tab=costumes&page=4

                  This one might work as well, if you skip the wings and the waist treatment. :-)

                  except for the buttons. I
                  > actually have some trim that looks to be a passable stand in for the
                  > braid used on the jacket. The actual military braid is a bit steep in
                  > cost no matter who sells it. However, at the moment, I am basically
                  > looking at a time frame where having the jacket shell custom made is
                  > running out. That's pretty much why I'd just settle for the waistcoat
                  > for now. I am still looking for domed buttons. Oy. The waistcoat
                  > would need silver-toned. The jacket would need either brass or
                  > gold-toned. Heck, I don't even know what kind of material his
                  > waistcoat is made of. Any ideas? This is going to be an adventure no
                  > matter which path it goes.

                  If you find more sources for buttons, as well as a braid placement
                  pattern (how they made it go back and forth and back and forth and on
                  and on without cutting) please pass it on!

                  --
                  Blonde. It's not just a hair color; it's a way of life.

                  http://soldiergrrrl.livejournal.com/

                  " But, WHY, is the Rum all gone?"