RE: [F-Costume] Re: Ah, familiar faces and the Matrix

  • Nicole Case
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 29, 2005

      > Find me a Matrix web site and I'll find some pic
      > examples.

      I think I get what you're saying - Do any of these
      pictures work/help?

      http://tinyurl.com/cz4rn

      http://tinyurl.com/cuxxa

      Yahoo! Sports
      http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
    • Nicole Case
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 29, 2005
        OK, Kind of got it wong the first time (Trinity's is
        similar, but much more noticeable/dramatic) but I'll
        try again:

        http://www.echecsetmaths.com/matrix/NEO.gif

        http://tinyurl.com/76ne2

        http://tinyurl.com/9kvbd
        (This ione's like cat's, but it's lighter. Downside?
        It's a statue.)

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 29, 2005
          >>http://tinyurl.com/9kvbd
          (This ione's like cat's, but it's lighter. Downside?
          It's a statue.)

          The status is somewhat like it... but the sculpture, like our eye, has
          pulled it in closer to the back of his neck... but again... there's that big
          slant. Sometimes, ya need the photo... but hopefully the two are enough.

        • Jess
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
            are you making the coat from the first or second/third movie?
          • Jess
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
            • Sarah
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
                I'm doing the coat from the second movie. Thanks for the images. I
                think I get what you mean, Cat. The collar essentially is dropped
                down about an inch from where we normally see collars, to just below
                collarbone level. I've stitched half the lining into the lower hem of
                the 'skirt' so far. So that's... 7 1/2 feet out of the 15 feet that
                it is? This is one friggin wide coat. It is a full half circle,
                btw. I've used McCall's 2981, an Elvis suit pattern, using only the
                bodice front, back, and sleeves. I didn't have to modify that very
                much at all, other than for adding the lining. On that, I extended
                the center front of the shell three inches to do a fold over to
                connect the acetate lining to. Still waiting for my buttons to get
                here. I bought 90 off of ebay. ;) That should do me for the buttons
                on this coat. I despise doing buttonholes, so I'm only going to do
                them on the bodice and just put the buttons on the 'skirt'. The
                original has seams on the side of the skirt and slit pockets at a
                slant just in front of the seam. I'm not doing the pocket on my
                version. The back of the skirt has no seam, but I put one in mine to
                keep the grain of the fabric as vertical as possible. The coat is
                fully lined, stitched in by hand with tiny stitches. 16 feet hand
                stitched so far, with 7 to go. Gee, this isn't going to take me all
                day at all.

                Sarah

                --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Jess" <D_ScullySA@h...> wrote:
                > --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Jess" <D_ScullySA@h...> wrote:
                > > are you making the coat from the first or second/third movie?
                > here are some pics if they help
                > http://www.neoandtrinity.net/imgs/reloaded52.jpg
                > http://www.neoandtrinity.net/imgs/reloaded14.jpg
                > http://www.neoandtrinity.net/imgs/reloaded7.jpg
                > http://www.neoandtrinity.net/imgs/reloaded3.jpg
                > http://www.neoandtrinity.net/imgs/reloaded4.jpg a somewhat lighter
                pic
                > of Cats
                > http://www.neoandtrinity.net/imgs/reloaded62.jpg
                > http://www.neoandtrinity.net/imgs/rev7.jpg
                > http://www.neoandtrinity.net/imgs/rev38.jpg
                > hope that wasn't excessive ;) and hope it helps
              • Sarah
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
                  Forgot to add that Neo wears something like a mob style zoot-suit
                  under the coat. Black dress shirt, black pants, black ankle high
                  lace up boots. His suspenders are also black. I have some
                  screencaps from the behind the scenes stuff that shows it. I'll put
                  them up on a website when I can.
                  Sarah

                  --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah" <aranel13@y...> wrote:
                  > I'm doing the coat from the second movie. Thanks for the images.
                  > think I get what you mean, Cat. The collar essentially is dropped
                  > down about an inch from where we normally see collars, to just
                  below
                  > collarbone level. I've stitched half the lining into the lower
                  hem of
                  > the 'skirt' so far. So that's... 7 1/2 feet out of the 15 feet
                  that
                  > it is? This is one friggin wide coat. It is a full half circle,
                  > btw. I've used McCall's 2981, an Elvis suit pattern, using only
                  the
                  > bodice front, back, and sleeves. I didn't have to modify that
                  very
                  > much at all, other than for adding the lining. On that, I
                  extended
                  > the center front of the shell three inches to do a fold over to
                  > connect the acetate lining to. Still waiting for my buttons to
                  get
                  > here. I bought 90 off of ebay. ;) That should do me for the
                  buttons
                  > on this coat. I despise doing buttonholes, so I'm only going to
                  do
                  > them on the bodice and just put the buttons on the 'skirt'. The
                  > original has seams on the side of the skirt and slit pockets at a
                  > slant just in front of the seam. I'm not doing the pocket on my
                  > version. The back of the skirt has no seam, but I put one in mine
                  > keep the grain of the fabric as vertical as possible. The coat is
                  > fully lined, stitched in by hand with tiny stitches. 16 feet hand
                  > stitched so far, with 7 to go. Gee, this isn't going to take me
                  all
                  > day at all.
                  >
                  > Sarah
                • darth_eagle
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
                    "Sarah" <aranel13@y...> wrote:
                    > Forgot to add that Neo wears something like a mob style zoot-suit
                    > under the coat. Black dress shirt, black pants, black ankle high
                    > lace up boots. His suspenders are also black. I have some
                    > screencaps from the behind the scenes stuff that shows it. I'll put
                    > them up on a website when I can.

                    Not to forget that his shirt (inner one) is Mandarin-Collar with the
                    opening and button on its side. -__^

                    Oh! There is suppose to be a Matrix Website planned to be like ACS-
                    LOTR but I realy can't remember its location or how extensive it was.

                    Will see if I can look through the other PC/Notebook for its link and
                    my photo collections of Neo and Trinity Reloaded as collected lots of
                    them when I did both costumes plus threads in the RPF discussing
                    extensively about it.

                    Fatimah
                  • darth_eagle
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
                      Okay, hope Darthgoat don't kill me for posting his reference photos
                      link but I found his to be quite comprehensive, especially when I had
                      mine redone =__= (but the seamstress still screwed it up >__< )

                      http://www.darthgoat.com/images/neo_project/Neo.html

                      Fatimah
                    • Sarah
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
                        Thanks, I'm planning to do Trinity, one of these days, I swear.
                        Maybe next year's DragonCon. I just now finished hand sewing the
                        lower hem. All 15 feet of it. Took me about nine hours, six of
                        them this morning. Itty bitty stitches. I'm insane. If I wasn't,
                        I am now. That's not counting the ten feet I did a few days ago on
                        the center front edges. I've uploaded more pics here
                        http://rivendelldesigns.net/costumes/neocoat
                        I don't even want to LOOK at this thing anymore today, my fingers
                        are so sore. I still need to do the collar and am waiting on the
                        buttons to be able to completely finish it. I'll be using this
                        costume or perhaps my jedi costume (in the works still) as my movie
                        costume in a presentation for costuming at the end of July, so I
                        hope I get the darn buttons in time. Surely three weeks is long
                        enough...
                        Sarah, who needs coffee

                        --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "darth_eagle" <darth_eagle@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > Not to forget that his shirt (inner one) is Mandarin-Collar with
                        the
                        > opening and button on its side. -__^
                        >
                        > Oh! There is suppose to be a Matrix Website planned to be like ACS-
                        > LOTR but I realy can't remember its location or how extensive it
                        was.

                        > Will see if I can look through the other PC/Notebook for its link
                        and
                        > my photo collections of Neo and Trinity Reloaded as collected lots
                        of
                        > them when I did both costumes plus threads in the RPF discussing
                        > extensively about it.
                        >
                        > Fatimah
                      • Margaret
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 1, 2005
                          About Neo's coat,
                          It looks to me that it's basically like a priest's cassock. They
                          have the high collar, reach the ground, and have a lot of swing.
                          Usually they have pleats for fullness, and a walking vent at the
                          back, but you can leave them out. I would try the costume sections
                          of McCalls and Simpilcity books - look toward the back for
                          the 'older' patterns.

                          Vinyl? when I had a vinyl rain coat in the 70s, I treated it like my
                          patent leather shoes from elementary school. Polished it up with
                          Vaseline to keep it supple (you have to rub it in like a shoe
                          dressing, and then buff it so it's not sticky.) I hung it in a
                          cotton clothing bag when not in use and it lasted about ten years.
                          Unfortunately I put on inches at the waist - and it did not - so I
                          gave it to a friend for a costume party. The fabric did not have
                          the 'give' that modern ones seem to have.
                          Margaret

                          --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Jess" <D_ScullySA@h...> wrote:
                          > --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Jess" <D_ScullySA@h...> wrote:
                          > > are you making the coat from the first or second/third movie?
                          > here are some pics if they help
                          .neoandtrinity.net/imgs/rev7.jpg
                          > http://www.neoandtrinity.net/imgs/rev38.jpg
                          > hope that wasn't excessive ;) and hope it helps
                        • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 1, 2005
                            The cassock pattern is a Butterick. You may have to special order it as
                            many stores won't keep it in stock (it's not a big seller). It's not
                            terribly difficult, but the fitting of the pleats in the back can be
                            tricky. I believe it has both pockets and a faced opening (so you can get
                            to the pants underneath).

                            Can you tell we've made a couple of these????

                            P & S

                            At 11:21 PM 7/1/2005, you wrote:
                            >About Neo's coat, it looks to me that it's basically like a priest's
                            >cassock. They have the high collar, reach the ground, and have a lot of
                            >swing. Usually they have pleats for fullness, and a walking vent at the
                            >back, but you can leave them out. I would try the costume sections of
                            >McCalls and Simpilcity books - look toward the back for the 'older' patterns.

                            "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                            Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                            Why They Are Simply Doomed.

                            Achemdro'hm
                            "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
                            -- C.Y. 4971

                            Andromeda
                          • jules_emt2
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
                              I used that pattern to make it in grey wool, it wasn't too difficult
                              although I had to redraft the armholes it was so fitted it wasn't
                              comfortable-I use it as my winter dress coat