Re: Stardust - Tristan's linen coat

  • Ann Durham
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 3, 2007
      >that looks like a really nice pattern! I don't see a price on the
      >page, though
      (referring to Laughing Moon Mercantile frock coat pattern). You have to go
      to checkout to get the price--it was $14. Not bad with two frock coats and
      two vest patters. I've used their corset pattern, which was very well
      done, so I have hopes for this.

      I'll double check the sleeve pattern, because I definitely want a two-piece
      sleeve (they follow the natural shape of the arm and hang better). That's
      not a hard thing to draft.
      ]
      Ann, in still-hot Florida, but she's got to get working on Halloween!!

    • Sarah
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 3, 2007
        OOh, not bad at all! Highly tempting to get that just to have it! I
        can probably graft in the sleeve from the Butterick cassock, which
        looks very good for this... Who am I kidding, when am I going to make
        this? but I want it! :D

        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 23, 2007
          Did you mean to send this to the whole F costume list? (I'm including
          the list in the TO line now)
          This coat has definitely been a discussion item. If you are new to the
          list, look back in the last few weeks worth of messages, because we've
          discussed it a lot, including which patterns might make good starting
          points, etc. I was thrilled to find that I have a couple of them
          already(Butterick 6844 has a good sleeve and back), because I'm in love
          with this coat too! :)
          For a new sewer, this is going to be a challenging project, because of
          the inner structure involved in a coat: stuff you don't see but which is
          essential to the look and fit of the garment. So in addition to patterns
          that you will have to modify and graft together to get all the elements
          right (depending on how movie-accurate you want to be), you'll need a
          good book on tailoring techniques. I don't want to scare you off,
          though! One way to get started might be to work on the rest of the
          outfit, like start with the shirt which will be a simpler garment...
          that will give you some experience working with cloth and tools, the
          sewing machine, etc. without having to worry so much about exact fit and
          structure.
          There are some pix in the gallery at the official web site, and the
          large-format making-of book is an excellent resource as well.
          Remember to post photos in the album as you go along, so we can admire
          your success!