RE: [F-Costume] Re: Buttons in bulk?

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 6, 2007
      >>. Have you (or anyone else) ordered from
      Hushco buttons (www.hushcobuttons.com) as well?

      Ah, they're expensive as well. Much more reasonable in gross quantities.
      (Dozen's is prohibitive) It's weird that you had to wait a long time. I
      normally get a reply back on the same day, or with a day delay. BUT you
      will get high quality metal, clean casts and they will plate to order (but
      it's also expensive).

      If you can handle the buttons being plastic... check with some of the SCA
      vendors. While they carry the metal buttons, they often scary some of the
      plastic buttons that are historical casting styles... and those they buy in
      real reasonable bulk quintiles.

      If you had access to a down town garment district, I'd say a little shoe
      leather would save you a fortune. I've gotten to the point that I only buy
      buttons in gross. Down town prices one 1 dozen, 2, 3, 4... gross.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 6, 2007
        nmentor467 wrote:

        > P.S. To Jen of the Hussars, if I have a breakthrough and find another
        > great site, I'll let you know!

        While they don't carry nice metallic re-enactor quality buttons, if you
        want regular JHB (Joann's style) buttons but don't want to have to buy
        them by the card.. Button Market
        <http://www.buttonmarket.com/fashion_catalog_index.htm> carries all the
        JHB buttons and you can buy in whatever bulk you want.

        -Judy
      • nmentor467
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 7, 2007
          > If you had access to a down town garment district, I'd say a
          little shoe
          > leather would save you a fortune. I've gotten to the point that
          I only buy
          > buttons in gross. Down town prices one 1 dozen, 2, 3, 4... gross.
          >
          > -Cat-

          Alas, raw materials in Boston are becoming more scarce and
          specialized. If I want Chinese brocade, no problem thanks to
          Chinatown, but shoe leather? I'm lucky to find a shoe repair
          place. But buttons can be made with leather? Interesting...

          It's not so much it takes Hushco long to get back to me, it's that
          it takes several e-mails to figure out what it is I'm asking. It's
          guess work figuring out the number handwritten in pale silver on
          ecru background - that makes sense. I don't know if it's the model
          number or some weird cataloguing system that only they know about.

          And the sizes...would it hurt to have them printed next to the
          button to save time? So my e-mails are "well I like this button, do
          you have it in this size and in case you don't recognize the number
          I gave, here's the page link." The guy, Michael, responded back
          quickly but overlooked the fact that I gave the quantities I needed
          in the body of the e-mail and asked me for the number of buttons
          needed. Um, yeah.

          Compounded by the fact he only checks his e-mail once a day, after I
          left the office,and he's on Pacific time - That's why it takes
          forever to get information. I tried calling once, and the woman
          hadn't a clue really on how to deal with individuals, only retailers
          and designers. "You want how many? 12? Um, what's your #, I'll
          check". Never called back.

          No wonder they make their money selling a billion buttons at once,
          they'd go out of business selling to the private sector.

          Nelly
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 7, 2007
            >> but shoe leather? I'm lucky to find a shoe repair
            place. But buttons can be made with leather? Interesting...

            Sorry... meant... "use shoe leather" = walking to a physical place vs.
            internet.

            >>It's not so much it takes Hushco long to get back to me, it's that
            it takes several e-mails to figure out what it is I'm asking.

            On the other hand, if you send a picture of a button, I think he's got his
            whole stock memorized...

            >>The guy, Michael, responded back
            quickly but overlooked the fact ...

            He's nice, but totally busy. They're brick and mortar, not an internet
            store. He's got those pages up just as a teaser for designers really. But
            does the smaller orders to earn good will and work towards the larger
            orders.

            >>Compounded by the fact he only checks his e-mail once a day, after I
            left the office,and he's on Pacific time - That's why it takes
            forever to get information.

            Yea, That's why I just went ahead and bought the two LOTR buttons in gross
            and repackage them here. Faster and we don't drive him too crazy.

            >>No wonder they make their money selling a billion buttons at once,
            they'd go out of business selling to the private sector.

            We're lucky they even take are calls. That's been the problem w/ buying
            other movie stuff. They won't deal with the end consumer because it sucks
            up too much time. Normally you have to buy a gross, buy the bolt,
            whichever. But it's why the Star Wars and LOTR folks sometimes team up when
            they find a match. Oh and not to leave out others, the Battle Star galactic
            group has been doing that forever w/ the original uniforms trim and
            hardware.

          • Mentor, Nelly A
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 8, 2007
              So given what Cat said, Jen, would you like to have a look at these and
              tell me if they may be something you would be interested in purchasing?
              If so, we can bother Meister Michael once or I can call customer
              service. I won't be purchasing them until next week anyway (pay day).

              http://www.hushcobuttons.com/large-image-metal18.htm

              22 qty. of model# 10023 (antiqued finish) 0.5" wide (approx.)

              http://www.hushcobuttons.com/large-image-metal38.htm

              28 qty. of model# 1299 1" wide (approx.)

              http://www.hushcobuttons.com/large-image-metal12.htm

              16 qty. of model# 1230 5/8" wide (approx.)

              Also, I found another vendor which sells buttons which look like Capt.
              Jack's coat buttons - Cat called them French Marine buttons:

              http://www.bsharpfabrics.com/

              #FB208 - Large domed brass 1" buttons at 90 cents a piece (no bulk
              discount)

              I've exhausted resources in my town - more or less know to expect plain
              New England fare around here. I've a trip planned to Toronto... maybe
              I'll find buttons there. I found my blue damask for Eowyn's Victory
              jacket in some small store in Nova Scotia- who would have thought! If
              not in Toronto, I'll try to hit New York City next month. No rush,
              despite my impatience, I haven't even cut out the patterns yet. I'm
              just a fanatic- I take out the fabric and lovelingly stroke it and play
              with the notions. I even had dreams where I was wearing my costumes -
              it's sick really.

              Nelly, the Obsessed

            • belluthien
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 15, 2007
                Hi there, Nelly!
                I was on a similar search just recently, (funny, because, yes,
                well... I too am working on a pirate outfit... ;D) and found this
                ebay seller:
                http://stores.ebay.com/PomegranateCostumeSupply_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsub
                ZQ2d999QQftidZ2QQtZkm
                They sell buttons in bulk. Metal ones, too... but you have to check
                the description to make sure they are metal, if that is what you
                want. They also have the plastic kind. I bought quite a few, and
                they have arrived, and I'm very happy with them.
                If you'd like to see the ones I bought, they are now being sewn into
                my coat:
                http://www.yvettes.net/PirateCoatConstruction.html
                I bought a few other buttons from them, and they are also shown on my
                page.
                Yeah, it does seem that buttons and trim can far outcost the fabric
                of a project...
                Cheers!
                Yvette
                http://www.yvettes.net