Re: Introducing myself . . .

  • Jay and Denisen
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2007
      Oh geez, Cat, I remember being so flattered that you'd asked at all
      that I could hardly stand the excitement of it - not to mention the
      fun of attending my first out-of-town CostumeCon (and LosCon for
      that matter)!!!

      And you should remind us all when you have a chance (I'm typing fast
      here and can't look it up just now) that you walked off
      with "several" awards when we entered - Do I remember Best in Show
      at LosCon (NASFIC) that year? YAY FOR YOU!!!

      Denisen

      --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Cat Devereaux" <CatDevereaux@...>
      wrote:

      > Oh... and here's one more of Denisen being a great sport letting
      me put her
      > in tons of costume...
      > http://www.alleycatscratch.com/costumes/SnowQueen/Figureen.htm .
      (She was

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2007
        >>Oh geez, Cat, I remember being so flattered that you'd asked at all
        that I could hardly stand the excitement of it - not to mention the
        fun of attending my first out-of-town CostumeCon (and LosCon for
        that matter)!!!

        Well, geeze, I'm obsessive... you have the perfect look and elegance for the
        Snow Queen... why just recreate the costume when I can match the model as
        well. You put up with a lot in that outfit. (To everyone else... that was
        many hot layers starting with a full harness that held all that stuff on.
        Not only was the outer robe velvet... but the only thing I could find to get
        the robe to behave properly was this wonderful, but thick white and silver
        brocade... that made things even hotter. )

        >>And you should remind us all when you have a chance (I'm typing fast
        here and can't look it up just now) that you walked off
        with "several" awards when we entered

        The awards are nice icing... but the fun part was doing the whole thing...
        and getting to play w/ everyone. Two big memories...

        1) adding a 2nd row (after the Loscon test run) of those red iridescent
        beads while sitting in front of the television watching Los Angeles burn
        during the LA riots. The burning fire would reflect onto the beads... and
        the shine from the beads was reflecting on the TV screen. I just kept on
        beading row after row of peppermint stripes --- fire and ice -- all over the
        bottom 3rd of the skirt.

        2) The costume was designed to be flat packable... and it always lived in
        two heavy duty boxes. It was designed to be secure on the model. (All the
        stage work I'd done, I'd see costumes slip/break/fall, so wanted this very
        secure.) The figurine itself was designed weirdly since clay figures never
        have to walk so the top shoulders, with wires though all the layers, hold
        everything, including the long braid down the side. For Costume Con 10, I
        had to step up and back stage manage all the masquerades... and yet had
        plans with Denisen to present the Snow Queen there. She was a fantastic
        sport as I bargained a "slave" from the con chairs to watch after her... and
        I abandoned her in about 30 pounds of costume, thick padded train, giant
        long fingernails, a 5" long wig... to run the back stage. Though I admit, I
        took 2 minutes off to run to the back of the hall to catch the presentation.
        It was so totally cool to watch the Lenox figure come alive... costume and
        Snow Queen both. (I'd stared at that figure for ages, including while laid
        up in a couple of different casts... just trying to figure out how to make
        it live. Was a great moment to see.)

        How many hobbies can one have where you make your dreams wake up and move???

        -Cat-

        (wow, waxing nostalgic on this new year's day)

      • Aurora Celeste
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2007
          On 12/30/06, Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote:

          > Oh... and here's one more of Denisen being a great sport letting me put
          > her
          > in tons of costume...
          > http://www.alleycatscratch.com/costumes/SnowQueen/Figureen.htm . (She
          > was
          > a wonderfully good sport to wear all that gear.)
          >
          > -Cat-
          >
          > Hey, I'm working on a collar very simmilar to that! I'm having problems
          figuring out how to support the back and attach it to the neck/shoulder area
          so that it stands properly, any tips/ideas?

          ~Aurora

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2007
            > Hey, I'm working on a collar very similar to that! I'm having problems
            figuring out how to support the back and attach it to the neck/shoulder area
            so that it stands properly, any tips/ideas?

            Funny you should ask. <G>

            I've actually got a bit of Snow Queen stuff over on the basic web site. The
            problem is that I'm tweaking the heck out of that part of the site right
            now... so you can't get there from any menu right now...

            http://www.alleycatscratch.com/costumes/SnowQueen.htm shows two snow queen
            examples and some notes on collars. (If ya loose this link, just use
            search.)

            My collar is held up by a lot of engineering. I don't have a write up on
            it, but you can see the pieces and how I did it. (This page was written as
            assembly instructions when I had to sell my SQ.)
            http://www.alleycatscratch.com/costumes/SnowQueen/AssembleTop.htm .

            It starts out flat foam. Yup... closed cell foam, the same stuff as fun
            foam, just thicker and bigger sheets. (yes, I did have a lot of giggles as
            folks discovered fun foam for the first time.... all over again.) However, I
            discovered the hard way during it's trail run at Los Con that with enough
            heat.. like around the backstage and under the lights... it gets softer.
            So, the base is a large sheet of plastic canvas. Those tabs are all
            attached to it. The ties all go through to that layer. The canvas is
            trimmed a bit smaller than the pattern so that the edges have foam glued to
            foam.... so there aren't sharp edges on the outside.

            I used a foam spray adhesive. More expensive, but 15 years later the collar
            still had total flex and took a full pounding of having someone else put it
            on for more pictures who hadn't a clue while I tried to remember how to
            assemble it. (http://www.foammart.com/foammarthome.html has both the
            adhesive and the foam - look under fx.)

            The foam collar rests on the quilted collar. That's all separate pieces and
            the center back piece has a set of industrial weight stays shaped to support
            it. (Think corset busks but thicker... actually pulled from the ankle
            braces I wore after the leg casts.)

            If you look at the assembly pictures you see how just hooking the foam
            collar onto the yoke starts to bend the foam into shape. The quilted
            support holds it up at the angle

            If you look at Boba's Collar,
            http://www.alleycatscratch.com/costumes/SnowQueen/Boba.htm , she simplified.
            The curve it the collar happens with connecting it in front. The wire that
            supports the angle is hidden . Her collar is thick felt, glue and fabric.
            I'm not sure if the collar is wired as well.

            Another person made this collar out of a stiff sheet of plastic.
            http://www.costume-con.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId
            =1349 I don't remember what the back base was.

            So ya see... lots of options from quick to complex, lots of material
            choices. Depends on time and budget.

            -Cat-
          • Sarah
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
              OK, finally had a chance to look over those links, wow! I got a
              chuckle out of your method of using Chardonnay... :)
              I'll have to remember this site the next time I make up one of those
              sort of patterns. I've definitely made things that if I had known, I
              would have written up for this... like that belly dancer shirt that
              didn't resemble the drawing on the pattern at all...
              Or on the plus size, the ones I've relied on year after year for
              Shakespeare costumes.

              --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Jay and Denisen" <hartlove@...> wrote:

              > Sure. Here's the GBACG's (Greater Bay Area Costumers Guild) Great
              > Pattern Review:
              >
              > http://www.gbacg.org/GreatPatternReview/index.htm
              > I'm here:
              > http://www.gbacg.org/GreatPatternReview/PatternsFashion.htm
              > and here:
              > http://www.gbacg.org/GreatPatternReview/PastPatterns.htm
              >
              > and additional work by me is here:
              > http://www.gbacg.org/GreatPatternReview/Simplicity.htm
              > and here:
              > http://www.gbacg.org/GreatPatternReview/Folkwear.htm
            • Sarah
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
                --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah" <sarahstrong13@...> wrote:

                > Or on the plus size, the ones I've relied on year after year for
                > Shakespeare costumes.

                that would be "plus side" *blush*
              • Jay and Denisen
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
                  Glad you got a laugh out of the review. 8-) I find that sometimes,
                  a little external stress-reducer helps the process . . .

                  Some days I just like to browse through their pattern reviews just
                  for fun or to see how my own experiences compare with those of
                  others - and to get a little inspiration if I'm bored and needing
                  something to push me forward into one of my projects. I'm fairly
                  sure, however, that they do not restrict themselves to members who
                  want to send in reviews. So you might go ahead and send in one or
                  two of your own reviews for them to publish.

                  Denisen