Re: [F-Costume] Whips

  • Puppetmaker
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2006
      Resha-
      I used basically brads. You can even get them with a top that makes the
      handle look studded.
      The whips I made looked very vicious but wouldn't hurt a fly unless A LOT of
      force was put behind them. Made the audience wince when the Judge brought
      them out.
      Kath the Puppeteer

    • Andrew T Trembley
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
        On Dec 30, 2006, at 6:10 AM, Naresha wrote:
        > Okay... A question for all you prop makers!
        >
        > I made a whip for someone as a birthday present a while back, but
        > due to time constraints I eventually bought one for them and
        > finished mine up later on. However, whilst I made the whip itself
        > quite easily, I suddenly realised that I had no way to attach it to
        > a handle or anything! It's a cat-o-nine tails, made out of leather
        > plaits and I'd really love to finish it as I'm quite pleased with
        > it, but it needs a handle.

        There are a few BDSM do-it-yourself books on the market, like "The
        Better Built Bondage Book," that include instructions on how to build
        whips; some are better than others.

        I've got a few friends who make and sell various styles of whips.
        Jeanette Heartwood <http://www.heartwoodwhips.com/info.htm> is one of
        the best in the business. Her website has plenty of pictures you can
        draw inspiration from. On your side of the world, Janet "Metz" Hayes
        is probably the best whip maker around, but her website has disappeared.

        Am I guessing correctly that you've got 9 separate plaits knotted at
        the tips and you need to find a handle and figure out how to attach
        them? Or do you have a band with 9 knotted plaits hanging from it?

        If you want something that feels and looks "natural" the handle
        should be a bit fat. I wouldn't use anything thinner than 2cm
        diameter dowel rod for a handle. For myself I'd go with 3cm (I've got
        big hands). The goal is to have something that doesn't make your fist
        bunch up around the handle.

        With a fat handle like that, you can just tack the plaits or the band
        around the outside edge of the top of the rod. Upholstery tacks are
        great for this kind of thing, they're not very long and they've got
        large heads. Tacks and glue (something flexible like E-6000) together
        are even better. Glue is a very valuable tool in leatherworking, and
        isn't at all a cheat.

        --
        andy trembley, Bitchy Design Queen - http://www.bovil.com/

        Play Internet Argument-Losing Bingo!
        <http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20060405.html>
      • Naresha
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
          I said I'd do this the other day and I finally have. I've uploaded some photos of the object in question. The issue I have is that the strands are rather small and supple and of varying lengths!

          You can find them under in "Naresha's Album" in the Photos section.

          *crosses fingers that link works*

          Resha

          ~One forgives for as long as one loves.~

          AIM: Naresha21 MSN: candyman_gypsy@... Yahoo: fruitcake5m1
          Personal LJ: http://nareshaninya.livejournal.com Writing LJ: http://writingsofresha.livejourna.com
          My Website! http://theinnermuse.freespaces.com
          http://quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl?biter=Resha