halo

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 29, 2005
      Anyone out there have any good ideas on how to make something that looks
      like a glowing halo? It will be hand-held, not on the head.

      We were thinking about starting with a clear plastic towel ring and
      using white LEDs, but we can't find towel rings in clear plastic these
      days. Anything else that's a clear ring and about maybe 8-10" diameter?

      -Judy
    • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 29, 2005
        Judy,

        A - a cheap plastic serving plate with the center cut out?
        B - heavy plastic/vinyl tubing from the hardware store?

        Sandy
        At 06:00 PM 6/29/2005, you wrote:
        >Anyone out there have any good ideas on how to make something that looks
        >like a glowing halo? It will be hand-held, not on the head.
        >
        >We were thinking about starting with a clear plastic towel ring and
        >using white LEDs, but we can't find towel rings in clear plastic these
        >days. Anything else that's a clear ring and about maybe 8-10" diameter?
        >
        > -Judy

        "Those Who Fail To Learn History
        Are Doomed to Repeat It;
        Why They Are Simply Doomed.

        Achemdro'hm
        "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
        -- C.Y. 4971

        Andromeda
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 30, 2005
          Pierre & Sandy Pettinger wrote:
          > Judy,
          >
          > A - a cheap plastic serving plate with the center cut out?
          > B - heavy plastic/vinyl tubing from the hardware store?

          Thanks, Sandy. Tubing sounds very possible. Any idea what uses clear
          tubing? Home Depot is a biiiig place!

          -Judy
        • shalazar
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 30, 2005
            The plastic tubing is with the electrical wiring supplies it comes in
            several diametres.
            You can also get it at pets stores which sell aquariun supplies, BUT it will
            cost more than Home depot.
            How about a short piece of the tubing with the lights inside which we use
            for Xmas decorations? Home Depot also sells that by the foot too.
            You could also consider getting the string of tiny white lights which run
            off a battery to put inside the tubing , to make your Halo glow. Ikea
            sells so does Michaels.

            Shalazar

            > A - a cheap plastic serving plate with the center cut out?
            > B - heavy plastic/vinyl tubing from the hardware store?

            Thanks, Sandy. Tubing sounds very possible. Any idea what uses clear
            tubing? Home Depot is a biiiig place!

            -Judy

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Visit your group "F-Costume" on the web.

          • Jess
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 30, 2005
              --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, shalazar <SHALAZAR@s...> wrote:
              > The plastic tubing is with the electrical wiring supplies it
              comes in
              > several diametres.
              > You can also get it at pets stores which sell aquariun supplies,
              BUT it will
              > cost more than Home depot.
              > How about a short piece of the tubing with the lights inside
              which we use
              > for Xmas decorations? Home Depot also sells that by the foot too.
              > You could also consider getting the string of tiny white lights
              which run
              > off a battery to put inside the tubing , to make your Halo glow.
              Ikea
              > sells so does Michaels.
              >
              > Shalazar

              theres also a type of plastic that (it might have been mentioned
              before but as I can't for the life of me think of the name, wouldn't
              know, so sorry if it has) if you shine a light at one end the whole
              tube/plastic thing gives off a "warm" glow and the other end lights
              up and is a bright goldish color... if i can think of the name or
              find a pic I'll post, or does anyone know what I'm talking about?
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 30, 2005
                shalazar wrote:
                > The plastic tubing is with the electrical wiring supplies it comes in
                > several diametres.

                excellent. I figured it could be almost anywhere in that store.

                > You can also get it at pets stores which sell aquariun supplies, BUT it will
                > cost more than Home depot.
                > How about a short piece of the tubing with the lights inside which we use
                > for Xmas decorations? Home Depot also sells that by the foot too.
                > You could also consider getting the string of tiny white lights which run
                > off a battery to put inside the tubing , to make your Halo glow. Ikea
                > sells so does Michaels.

                Way cool! thanks! We're thinking of some way of either running some
                lights or LEDs or something either through them or if 2 LEDs are enough
                to just use that. I'll take a look at the christmas lights also - but I
                don't think they're out yet (truly sad: they probably will be in a month).

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 30, 2005
                  Jess wrote:

                  > theres also a type of plastic that (it might have been mentioned
                  > before but as I can't for the life of me think of the name, wouldn't
                  > know, so sorry if it has) if you shine a light at one end the whole
                  > tube/plastic thing gives off a "warm" glow and the other end lights
                  > up and is a bright goldish color... if i can think of the name or
                  > find a pic I'll post, or does anyone know what I'm talking about?

                  that sounds fascinating. You could do all sorts of interesting costume
                  things with something like that.

                  -judy
                • Sarah
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
                    Keep in mind that those little white lights can actually get pretty
                    hot. So if you put them in tubing, TEST it first. The plastic can
                    get very soft and put out noxious fumes if you aren't careful. Oh,
                    and on the other, are you talking about fiber optic cables?
                    Sarah

                    --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Judy Mitchell <judymitch@o...> wrote:
                    > shalazar wrote:
                    > > You could also consider getting the string of tiny white lights
                    which run
                    > > off a battery to put inside the tubing , to make your Halo glow.
                    Ikea
                    > > sells so does Michaels.
                    >
                    > Way cool! thanks! We're thinking of some way of either running
                    some
                    > lights or LEDs or something either through them or if 2 LEDs are
                    enough
                    > to just use that. I'll take a look at the christmas lights also -
                    but I
                    > don't think they're out yet (truly sad: they probably will be in a
                    month).

                    > -Judy
                  • Jess
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
                      okay found out what it was, (and no, it didn't get hot, just lukewarm
                      after a LONG time) it was fiber optic (I want to say) cable, but I
                      looked it up online and it doesn't look right, but I know its
                      fiberoptic and it was a solid tube very bendy, about 1 cm across, I
                      know i have it somewhere I'll still try to find it to get a pic,
                      (sorry but my (Grandpa)Papa gave it to me when I was 6 so I can't
                      remember the details) hope that starts to help..

                      > that sounds fascinating. You could do all sorts of interesting
                      costume
                      > things with something like that.
                      >
                      > -judy
                    • Jess
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
                        --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah" <aranel13@y...> wrote:
                        > Keep in mind that those little white lights can actually get pretty
                        > hot. So if you put them in tubing, TEST it first. The plastic can
                        > get very soft and put out noxious fumes if you aren't careful. Oh,
                        > and on the other, are you talking about fiber optic cables?
                        > Sarah

                        yes I think I am!
                      • Caryn Sobel
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
                          < Oh,
                          and on the other, are you talking about fiber optic cables?

                          Hi All,

                          I think the fiberoptic ones are the ones mentioned that glow through the
                          length of the tube when a light is shined at one end. IIRC, the end with the
                          light source gets warm, but the "glowy" rest of it stays cool, so that might
                          work.

                          I had thought of light sticks, too, but couldn't remember if they have
                          warnings about the toxic phosphorescent stuff. There are emergency ones that
                          last longer than the holiday ones, but they are an ugly yellow-green.

                          Caryn
                        • hobbitmomof4
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 6, 2005
                            --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Judy Mitchell <judymitch@o...> wrote:
                            > Anyone out there have any good ideas on how to make something that
                            looks
                            > like a glowing halo? It will be hand-held, not on the head.
                            >
                            > We were thinking about starting with a clear plastic towel ring and
                            > using white LEDs, but we can't find towel rings in clear plastic these
                            > days. Anything else that's a clear ring and about maybe 8-10" diameter?
                            >
                            > -Judy

                            Perhaps a round picture frame? Look in the baby dept. for
                            toys/rattles that are round clear plastic? If desperate, perhaps make
                            your own with clear resin and a jello mold? you could mold your LEDs
                            right in the ring
                            . A neat thing I discovered accidently while goofing around, those
                            twist rods on mini blinds that are like 6 sided and clear glow red
                            when a light is shined thru one end,like a very skinny light saber.
                            I thought it was kewel!
                            Melody
                            Also a member of LOTR web site and POTC,and Van Helsing too.
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 7, 2005
                              hobbitmomof4 wrote:
                              > Perhaps a round picture frame? Look in the baby dept. for
                              > toys/rattles that are round clear plastic?

                              we did try a couple baby departments. nothing. the only clear rings
                              were rattles -and baby fist sized.

                              Oddly, Michael's was clearancing some bracelets that are a soft colored
                              gelplastic that had 2 LEDS in them that you can press a switch to turn
                              on. As I suspected the lights really just glowed at those spots and it
                              didn't bend around the ring much at all (knew I didn't believe in
                              physics! husband kept insisting the refraction properties would make the
                              ring glow. not.)

                              However, Jonatha has turned me on to the wonderful abilities of
                              ElectroLuminesce Wire (EL Wire). I've ordered 9' of white and the power
                              inverter that works of a couple of batteries plus priority shipping from
                              FL at only $20. not bad. Hopefully it should come in on monday. The wire
                              is firm, but very pliable. Jonatha had shown me hers that she bent
                              around and 'braided' into a 4-strand ring, wasn't especially floppy at
                              all, glowed quite well. So unless something startlingly better comes
                              along, I think this will make the halo. Oh and it comes in a bunch of
                              colors, some of the wires even come 'welted' with this flange along one
                              side for sewing into seams! Think of the anime costuming you can do with
                              this stuff as piping (and apparently it can go 10hours before the
                              batteries die out).

                              Also talked with other friends last night, and my original idea was to
                              stuff the powerpack down my friend's cleavage and run a wire out her arm
                              for the halo. It was suggested that if she sweats and it gets into the
                              power box, the results could be back; so to run a bead of hot glue or
                              even rubber cement around any contact or place that sweat could get
                              into. But then Ming suggested strapping it to her arm instead with
                              velcro or one of the "runner's bands" that hold ipods and wallets.
                              Easier for her to turn on and off (or blink! it has a blink mode), less
                              sweat problems, and it won't be seen under the puffy upper sleeve.

                              So thanks all! I think this will work. I just can't wait to be done
                              with this costume at DragonCon.