Re: halo

  • hobbitmomof4
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 6, 2005
      --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Judy Mitchell <judymitch@o...> wrote:
      > Anyone out there have any good ideas on how to make something that
      looks
      > like a glowing halo? It will be hand-held, not on the head.
      >
      > We were thinking about starting with a clear plastic towel ring and
      > using white LEDs, but we can't find towel rings in clear plastic these
      > days. Anything else that's a clear ring and about maybe 8-10" diameter?
      >
      > -Judy

      Perhaps a round picture frame? Look in the baby dept. for
      toys/rattles that are round clear plastic? If desperate, perhaps make
      your own with clear resin and a jello mold? you could mold your LEDs
      right in the ring
      . A neat thing I discovered accidently while goofing around, those
      twist rods on mini blinds that are like 6 sided and clear glow red
      when a light is shined thru one end,like a very skinny light saber.
      I thought it was kewel!
      Melody
      Also a member of LOTR web site and POTC,and Van Helsing too.
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 7, 2005
        hobbitmomof4 wrote:
        > Perhaps a round picture frame? Look in the baby dept. for
        > toys/rattles that are round clear plastic?

        we did try a couple baby departments. nothing. the only clear rings
        were rattles -and baby fist sized.

        Oddly, Michael's was clearancing some bracelets that are a soft colored
        gelplastic that had 2 LEDS in them that you can press a switch to turn
        on. As I suspected the lights really just glowed at those spots and it
        didn't bend around the ring much at all (knew I didn't believe in
        physics! husband kept insisting the refraction properties would make the
        ring glow. not.)

        However, Jonatha has turned me on to the wonderful abilities of
        ElectroLuminesce Wire (EL Wire). I've ordered 9' of white and the power
        inverter that works of a couple of batteries plus priority shipping from
        FL at only $20. not bad. Hopefully it should come in on monday. The wire
        is firm, but very pliable. Jonatha had shown me hers that she bent
        around and 'braided' into a 4-strand ring, wasn't especially floppy at
        all, glowed quite well. So unless something startlingly better comes
        along, I think this will make the halo. Oh and it comes in a bunch of
        colors, some of the wires even come 'welted' with this flange along one
        side for sewing into seams! Think of the anime costuming you can do with
        this stuff as piping (and apparently it can go 10hours before the
        batteries die out).

        Also talked with other friends last night, and my original idea was to
        stuff the powerpack down my friend's cleavage and run a wire out her arm
        for the halo. It was suggested that if she sweats and it gets into the
        power box, the results could be back; so to run a bead of hot glue or
        even rubber cement around any contact or place that sweat could get
        into. But then Ming suggested strapping it to her arm instead with
        velcro or one of the "runner's bands" that hold ipods and wallets.
        Easier for her to turn on and off (or blink! it has a blink mode), less
        sweat problems, and it won't be seen under the puffy upper sleeve.

        So thanks all! I think this will work. I just can't wait to be done
        with this costume at DragonCon.